where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just what are Bird Clubs for?

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Just what are Bird Clubs for?

I really wonder what bird clubs are for. I realise they are suppose to be places for bird owners to meet and discuss birds and maybe host a bird fair, but is this all they are?

The reason I ask is, I heard something very disturbing today while I was at our bird club's Bird Fair. In fact, I heard many many different things today I wish I hadn't heard

This was from the club members themselves, too. It all had to do with birds, so I'm not talking about dirty laundry.

I'm afraid to speak up much here because I am not sure how many members are on the forum here.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Picards Mummy Found a Mate Melody's Avatar
    Name
    Melody
    Thanks

Re: Just what are Bird Clubs for?

Sounds really ominoius.

Thanks

If it is something you think people should be aware of, I wouldn't worry about offending bird club members. In addition, not all bird clubs may have the same purpose (as far as what you heard).

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I'm very curious now, Carol... any hints??

Name
    wetheril
    Thanks

Yes, I second that. I'm really curious too. It's not because of gossip, but when I heard you say "disturbing things", I wonder if you're speaking of unethical bird-keeping practices.

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Hmm, I don't really understand as I can't figure out what it would be they said. I think it depends on the club itself, some are for the birds and othgers get off the subject!
    -content removed by author-

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Okay, here goes - Warning, long post!

First off, I have only met the members that attend the meetings so I can only speak of them. Most of them are breeders. Tiels, budgies, eclectus, TAG, finches, canaries, etc.

Since I wasn't buying birds, I got a chance to really walk around and look at the quality of feathers, coloring, build, etc.

The club does surrenders (which costs money) and then rehomes (which costs money). I was talking with 3 members when the person who does the surrender/rehome turned to the other two, who are breeders, and asked if they wanted a male 4 year old tiel that was at her house. She didn't want it there.

Seems she had rehomed this bird a few weeks ago and it had come back to her and she wanted to get rid of it! I was really upset at how the attitude was to give the bird to a member to use as a breeder! She didn't ask if I wanted it, though, I'm guessing because I don't breed birds.

One breeder had so many tiels stuffed into cages they were pecking each other and were pretty bloody and chewed up. There were open sores on the backs of very skinny tiels. Made me want to weep.

Another only took out one or two birds that were "handlable" but the others weren't at all, but being sold as hand fed and tame.

Another was talking about since the fair wasn't well attended (actually there were a lot of people there) and he wasn't selling anything, he was headed over to one of the petstores to "dump his birds" before the other breeder could get there and dump his. Seems these 2 are in competition to dump birds after birdshows as quickly as possible. I've seen the stores he's talking about and those birds are by no means "tame" trained or hand-tamed. They're all 1/2 wild.

He told me he had too many birds to handle them all regularly. He only handled the ones he was going to keep from his clutches.

There seems to be a glut of tiels so it's hard to "dump" them yet when I asked if the tiels were going to be allowed to rest from breeding for the winter, I got a "are you nutz" look and told no, they would keep breeding.

Another breeder breeds his males as young as 7 months and females about 1 year old.

The breeder that bred Truus told me how he did it and I was so appalled, I went home, told my husband and we'll make sure she's never bred. Ever!

There were cages of tiels with blood all over them from trama of being moved (broken blood feathers) and open sores!

Another breeder was saying how his "for sale" birds were fed on the cheepest seed diet while the ones he was keeping got roudybush.

The larger parrots were very well cared for and the prices reflected the care and attention they received.

Don't get me wrong. There were other breeders there, not members of the club or only members to get the table discount, but from out of town. With most of them, their birds from finches to parrots were well cared for and beautiful.

There were many unweaned birds there, with signs saying when they would be weaned (usually within two weeks) as it's against this clubs policy to allow unweaned birds.

Oh the raffle birds, mostly were breeders! Not young birds, but donated probably because they were too old to breed, but were still pairs. There were signs all over the cages saying "don't touch, they're not tame and they'll bite you"!

It's like it was an avenue to sell the club members' birds & dump nesting pairs no longer wanted. No one thought to recommend any of the books on parrot behavior. I overheard these same breeders talking about how ill-treated the birds were that they sold yet when I suggested they provide a parrot behavior book with the bird they were selling, they thought I was nuts. (or silly/ignorant)

I was/am very disturbed by the whole thing and don't know if I'll re-up my membership when it's due. I've never been told of any "rescues" but I'm thinking there are many and only the "inner circle" knows about them. In fact, had I not promised my husband I wouldn't bring home anything live, I would have spoken up and gotten the tiel. I would have brought him home, socialized him and then found a good home for him.

Still upset here.

Four More Babies Hatched! Luna1285's Avatar
    Name
    lauren
    Thanks

OMG! Please report this information to the police or other authority that can take care of this! At least contact the club and tell them!
    PUERTO RICO

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Luna, this WAS the club! The bird fair was sponsored by them, the president, vp, all officers and members that I knew of where there. They KNEW this. They participated in this. The one who was trying to give the tiel away was a club officer!!

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

I would have nothing to do with them then. And I would report them to animal control or whoever is responsible with dealing with this type of thing. Unfortunatly, there are no rules about breeding, feeding or selling birds domestically, but neglect or abuse can be reported.

Don't you think it would make sense to regulate breeding, feeding and selling animals? There should be MORE laws to protect animals.
    PUERTO RICO

Thanks

My one experience with a bird fair was not that bad, but I can see how it could be.

Like you said, the larger birds were very well cared for. Tiels and budgies were obviously neglected in some way... but not bleeding as far as I could see.

My theory is that a lot of the breeders with overcrowding issues and poor care are just plain ignorant animal hoarders... that is they bought a couple tiels, budgies, whatever a long time ago and they started breeding. Then the owner decides that they aren't going to stop it and that they could make a little money off of it. They house them as cheaply as possible and find a bird club that will support the selling of the poor birdies.

At the fair I went to, soooo many of the birds were adverstised as socialized, hand fed, and hand tame. With the exception of one conure and one cockatiel, none of the budgies, other parakeets, or tiels were tame at all. It was so sad. It totally turned me off to bird fairs. Many of the breeders I spoke to were ignorant about birds and seemed kind of well... I don't know how else to put this... but hickish-- uneducated and low income. I hope that doesn't offend anyone.

Name
    lauren
    Thanks

Doesn't offend me, hehe
    PUERTO RICO

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

This seems to be a club that has members who only care about making money-- much like a 'puppy mill' but with birds instead of dogs. How terribly cruel. I attended one bird fair and that will be my first and last. I saw many cages that had too many birds in them, they looked very stressed too. I could see where disease could quickly spread too.

One breeder had so many tiels stuffed into cages they were pecking each other and were pretty bloody and chewed up. There were open sores on the backs of very skinny tiels. Made me want to weep.
    This should be reported to your local animal shelter or the ASPCA.

Banned Tailfeather
    Name
    www.grendelmonster.com
    Thanks

When we went to a local bird show/fair my husband and I were appalled at the conditions of the budgies and cockatiels. They were like you said in over crowded cages. It was like they were just "throw away" birds to these breeders. I think there are some "good" breeders and some "bad" breeders. But I was upset by what I saw at the bird show. I overheard bird breeders saying that they were not selling enough. I dont know what determines what a "good" day is at a bird show.

Picards Mummy Found a Mate Melody's Avatar
    Name
    Melody
    Thanks

That is just awful, those poor birds. These people should be made to live in the conditions that they keep their birds in so that they can finaly understand that this is NOT the way to treat any kind of animal.
    Some people just really annoy me

Remove Ads