Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

Red-eyed Cockatiel?

My male visual heavily pied cockatiel and female visual pearl hen had 4 chicks hatch early September. The oldest, now 9 days old, appears to have red eyes. Is it possible this chick is an albino/lutino?
    According to http://www.kirstenmunson.com, the chicks should be 100% grey split to pied.

On an update, they're gaining weight very fast (parent-fed)
    9 days - 60 gram
    6 days - 30 gram
    4 days - 15.5 gram

Unfortunetly, on day 6, the 2nd oldest chick died of yet unknown reasons. The vet should have news soon as to cause. The only thing I'm watching now is that the parents don't ignore the younger ones to feed the oldest which is HUGE compared to the others.

Update: Some pictures

The chicks:

Older pic with the parents:
    Last edited by Trippy; 09-29-2005 at 01:33 PM.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: Red-eyed Cockatiel?

Your red eyed cockatiel is probably going to be a lutino, and female. If it were to be a whiteface lutino (aka albino), it would have been born with white down. Sooo.. that means Dad is split (non visually) to lutino.

Kirsten Munson's site is very helpful, but if you don't know what your birds have in them that isn't showing (aka, what their parents and grandparents are), ESPECIALLY on the male's side, you just may end up with a suprise like you did.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vic
    Thanks

Oh Mowsie, I'm not real good with the genetics , but what would the chance be of that chick being a Fallow? I only ask because the hen looks like a cinny in the avatar.
    Tiels: yodels, gizmo, corky, scooter, cricket, ginger, pica
    budgies...precious, jinx, speck
    quakers...tinker, sprocket
    WOW no wonder my house is loud!

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

The fallow is not as common of a mutation but not unheard of. My hen, Apache, is a fallow pied. They appear to be cinnamon for the most part (maybe a little tawnier or muted in coloring with more of a "yellowish" suffision or wash). They they have red eyes like the lutino in the nest. When they're grown to adulthood, the eyes become more of a dark ruby and its very hard to distinguish the color unless the light is shining on the eyes "just so", like my Apache. A fallow will also possess light colored feet and beak. Both male AND female MUST be at least split to fallow in order for a chick to show up as a fallow in the nest. This is a recessive gene. ,Its not as commonly seen in birds in "by chance" matings because the chances of finding two birds who aren't SHOWING the gene but who possess it in their genetic make-up isn't as common. Typically, those who mate for fallows and KNOW they're going to have a fallow chick either have a visual fallow bird and get lucky with the second bird being split, OR, they mate two birds with fallow gene splits for that reason. So.. the chances of you getting a fallow "just by chance" are pretty slim, but not impossible. Again.. its all in what isn't "showing" with your two birds, and what their parents and grandparents were before them.

You won't know if you have a fallow or lutino until the feathers begin to unfurl from their sheaths. Actually, you'll know before then because the pin feathers actually have color to them. If its a fallow, there will be some browish pinfeathers, and if its lutino, the pinfeathers will be all white and yellow.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Vic
    Thanks

that is why I am so glad to have found this board....I will never understand all the ins and outs of figuring out what it takes for certain colors to appear!

Thank you oh mowsie!
    Tiels: yodels, gizmo, corky, scooter, cricket, ginger, pica
    budgies...precious, jinx, speck
    quakers...tinker, sprocket
    WOW no wonder my house is loud!

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

You're welcome!!! And.. of course.. we want PICTURES!
    "Somewhere out there

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

My male cockatiel is a normal grey and my female is cinnamon. Only 2 eggs hatched. The oldest is now 14 days and has red eyes while the youngest has black eyes and is 12 days old. Is it possible the older chick is a lutino?!

Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I would love to see pics of your male and female. I do think it is possible you may have a lutino chick. I would be able to give you my opinion if you would be able to post some pics of the parents. It may be too early to get pics of the new babies. Often times there can be DNA from other mutations besides the "normal grey" and "cinnamon" you speak of, that will help determine the "lutino" in a chick.

Congrats on your new babies! I'll hope to see pics soon! And I hope you will come back to the forum often.

Name
    Clive
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by samarhassani View Post
    My male cockatiel is a normal grey and my female is cinnamon. Only 2 eggs hatched. The oldest is now 14 days and has red eyes while the youngest has black eyes and is 12 days old. Is it possible the older chick is a lutino?!
    Hi samarhassani.
    Welcome to the forum.
    I will PM Marrie and see if she will move your thread. More people should see it then.
    This one was started in 2005.
    *****************A Night Shot************

Henry-Zinny-Snowy-Dexter-Mango-Max-Angel-Tinkerbell