where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Very Important!

Lover of all animals Brand New Egg
    Name
    Shaina
    Thanks

Exclamation Very Important!

For all of you dog owners out there... Don't feed your dog table scraps!

Yesterday, I came home and my lab pup was sooooo sick. He had all of the symptoms of parvo except fever. I was terrified and cried all evening, until my mom got home. Before she got home, I tried the remedies of sick dogs (i.e. vaccine, raw egg, water). I have had bad luck with dogs, but I am bound and determined to do anything to keep Bo alive. He is the sweetest doggy I have ever have. I thought it queer that him being almost 7 months old and already having three parvo shots that he would have it. Anyways, I begged to goodness for dad to take Bo to the vet, he looked as if he was on the verge of collapsing. This morning dad took him to the vet. And I came home this evening hoping to find my Bo Bo alive... and THANK God I did. It turns out that we have been feeding to much table scraps, and as you might know table scraps are hard for a dog's digestive system to digest, and it caused him to dehydrate by diarrhea and vomiting. So the vet gave him an IV to get him rehydrated, and two bottles of medicine. The vet said that it is kind of like a human getting drunk and throwing up and having a hangover for a few days... so Bo probably won't eat much, but as long as he drinks water he'll be fine. Boy was I glad to get good news when I got home. I hope this helps someone, because it was scary for me and I don't want anyone to go through the same thing... it can be prevented.
    Whatever love a person is missing is given back by a Horse.

Picards Mummy Found a Mate Melody's Avatar
    Name
    Melody
    Thanks

Re: Very Important!

Sorry to hear that Bo was sick, but am glad to hear that he is better

Egg's Cracking... parrotly wild's Avatar
    Name
    Kim Lance
    Thanks

Just paid $50 at our vets office.My son's dacshound will eat anything! I was lucky and caught it sooner than you! He had his shot too,thank GOD! Ended upon tablets, was so sick that at first we had to force him totake them.Also had to give doggie asprin. When he started feeling better he would beg for his meds. Still have trouble with him being a living vacuum though. (like your horse, have an Arab & Arab/Haflinger here)

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Oh poor Bo Bo. Ouch. But, glad he is recooperating.

Name
    Chrissy
    Thanks

That is good to hear and yes too many Table scraps can not only make them sick it can also lead to other diseases caused from Obesity. The best Table treat that you can give your Dog/Cat is baked, Brolied, Or Baked food but still limited amounts. Alot of people don't think about the consequences by feeding their dog/cat Table scraps. A dog needs a balanced Diet just as humans a dog that doesn't get enough exercise also can have problems. SO not only is a balanced Diet good for your pet exercise also is just as important. I am glad to here that Bo is doing better just next time when he wants table scraps give him a good bone to chew on and besides it is good for their teeth on keeping them clean.

----------------------------
    Great Site with lots of advice on Pets and Great tips from our Vet.
    http://s13.invisionfree.com/PetLovers/index.php

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

DON'T give bones to your dogs. They break off in shards and splinter. The shards can cut throats, gums and stomach linings, and the splinters can embed in soft tissue and cause infection.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Well, we've had our dog into the vet last week for all the tests to find out why he's vomiting. He has "something" in his stomach. The vet showed us on an Xray. It looks like a sock, but we know he doesn't eat socks.

He does however, chew on those rope tug thingies and has chewed quite a few up. The one thing the vet is trying before surgery is to see if it's parasites. Our little guy love chasing rabbits in the back yard and we've found dead ones. Not sure if he killed them or the dog next door jumped the fence and did it, but we don't know if our dog helped himself to the "good eats" cafe.

we'll check in a week to see if the mass in his stomach is shrinking or not. In the mean time, we have to monitor the "movements" outside and feed him small meals, no table food. That's stopped the vomiting.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Remove Ads