where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Security Item??needing a mate?

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

Question Security Item??needing a mate?

Hey all...

anyone have any experience with security items with tiels?

i havnt been bitten by sweetie in a really long time... my secret... as long as i am holding one of his security items... he is a lamb..
    this week a small cushion.. he cuddles up to it... sleeps on it... its not a hormonal thing .. cos he has a "girlfriend" <a pair of gloves> that he masturbates on.. this cushion is purely a security item.. like a child with a blankie.. or a fav stuffed toy..

any ideas?
    Last edited by Panthlee; 10-24-2005 at 06:32 AM. Reason: ading in

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: Security Item??

sounds less like a kids "binky" and more like a mate substitute. perhaps as long as the "two of them" are together, he is OK with you???

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

I'm wondering if its like a distraction? He feels that hands somehow threaten him but if he sees you holding an item he likes.. then it must okay.. or he desires the item you're holding so he'll step up more readily because he wants to be with it?

When training Neo, I used to use shiny rings to get that result. As long as he saw a shiny ring on my finger, he'd play with the ring and step up, but if I wasn't wearing a shiny ring, he would be much more afraid and wouldn't cooperate.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

he has two items, rolled up gloves, which acts as his <mate> figure.. a pair of rolled up gloves..... and then the cushion..... which he sleeps next to, sits on... plays with, drags around.. etc.. the gloves he masturbates on... sits on it and rubs his vent against it.

having said that, sweetie shows NO agression when you have one of those items... wont bite you etc..

with the cushion, its like a buddy... right now he is sitting on it.. preening.... it seems to make him feel more secure to be handled... he'll step up happily... sit quietly for me to scratch him..

thats why i thought id ask about it... its really like a "binky" , he is fine with me.. honestly better than he has been in a really long time... ive asked before if sweetie could be a bird that really does NEED a mate..??? he whistles.... and is honestly happier now.. than he has been in a while...could he need a birdie girlfriend? are there some birds that just really need a mate..

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

ok.... so the next installment... yesterday while sort pebbles out for the wedding im planning... sweetie steals a "egg" a white stone thats the size of a egg.. and today.. he has pulled it out and has been trying to sit it... puffy feathers the lot.

so.... any ideas.... i can take all his fixation items away.. but i know its going to make him unhappy. .. he is showing no agression towards me.. or anyone else in the family. in fact the exact opposite.. he has been sweetness himself... comes and cuddles.. and goes back..

as most know i do want to start breeding, i have researched it, has the resources financially and a good back up system, a really good avian vet, a uncle that could look after them if i couldnt do a feeding for some reason.. im currently not working, and studying part time..., so ideally i CAN breed...

i can add another bird to my house , with i feel, not too much trouble.. i have space to quarantine... a space i can set aside a breeding cage..

that aside, sweetie has been trying desperately to mak friends with indi.. heart wings... coo&#237;ng... general woo&#237;ng behaviour.. but indi is not interested.

so do i look for a girlfriend? with an eye to pairing them? ultimately i want sweetie to be happy, if i am not enough.. them should I provide a mate for him? then the next question is, do i look for a handraised baby... or do i bring in a older girl.. say 1/2 years old? Do i look for a rescue? I know that if they bonded to each other the bond would be less with me, but sweeties bond to me is not that strong to start off with. as much as i wish it was stronger.

so seriously.. i need opinions .... sweetie is happy.. but not as happy as i think he could be.

lol... i dunno... dont want to bring a birdy in... and cause a total mess.. i KNOW breeding is a big deal, and isnt that easy... but i am in the position to deal with it.

so.. opinions... and comments... WANTED

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

Re: Security Item??needing a mate?

bump

Thanks

Wish I had some advice to give you, but I've never dealt with that issue. Hope you get some good answers soon.
    - Aviennda, Bunji and Henry (Meyer's and Senegal)

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

i would not encourage laying/breeding/broody behavior, including getting a mate.

i would remove the items (although he may substitute new ones until breeding conditions become less than ideal) because one seems to be a mate, the other a nest site.

do you know how to reduce the likelihood of eggy-ness? don't wanna spell it out if you've already read one of those threads...

Name
    Leandre Warren
    Thanks

yup... shorter daylight hours... drenching baths.. rearranging cage...

but sweetie is male.. no worries about eggy-ness.. couldnt lay even if he wanted to