Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

arboreal_aura Brand New Egg arboreal_aura's Avatar
    Name
    Kelli
    Thanks

Arrow Frayed wing feathers, droopy tiel

I have a 10-month old cockatiel who's going through his first molt. He's always been meticulous about preening. Last week I had to leave town and before dropping him off at the bird kennel I took a look at his flight feathers to see if they needed to be clipped. What worried me is that his primary coverts looked almost frayed, as if they were being preened too much. When I picked him up today from the bird kennel he had a broken blood feather under his wing. This could have been from something stressing him while being boarded with other birds (he gets the flappies when he's stressed) or I'm afraid he may have plucked it out. He's been tired all day since I picked him up and I want to give him some time to rest, but he hasn't whistled a single tune and he's usually very vocal. And when he does preen his wings, especially the side where the broken feather was, he makes a little squeaky sound. How much of the frayed feather issue could be attributed to molting, and how long should I give him to recover from the shock of being boarded before I assume there's something else going on? Are there any illnesses in particular I should be on the lookout for since he was boarded?

Thanks

Re: Frayed wing feathers, droopy tiel

It's probable that there's still the shaft of the blood feather left uner his wing and that pokes him when he moves his wing. You need to take a closer look and see if it is the case, if so it needs to be removed since it is causing discomfort to the bird. If you feel you are unable to do this yourself, you can arrange with your avian vet to do it for you.

The lack of singing is probably due to stress and he might be a little "angry" with you for leaving him. Give him a couple of days and he'll come around! Was he in contact with any other bird at the board? You can always call them up and ask if any of the other birds are having similar symptoms, or you can call you avian vet and see if he/she thinks that you should take the bird in.

I hope the little guy gets his voice back real soon! I'm fairly certain that a lot of TLC will do the trick

Keep us posted!

arboreal_aura Brand New Egg arboreal_aura's Avatar
    Name
    Kelli
    Thanks

Well, I hope TLC does the trick. Here are some other things I've been noticing and questioning... Whistler seems to preen rather vigorously sometimes, like he's suddenly just got to get this one spot and he'll quickly jerk his head back and get at the spot. Could this be a sign of giardia? It's so hard for me to tell, because it could be attributed to molting. I should say he is my first bird, and this is his first molt, so I'm just learning his signs. He also seemed weak this morning. When I put food in his bowl, he was trying to climb off of his perch and down his cage bars, and he lost his balance and fell. I've never seen him do this either. As for his vocalizations, they're slowly returning. He also preened me this morning and ground his beak while sitting on my shoulder, so I think some of the "anger" is subsiding. I should also mention he lost some blood at the boarder, both from the broken blood feather and when they trimmed his nails. It's hard to say how much, probably less than 1ml. I feel like a hypochondriac on account of my bird, but I'm also a nurse, and just like to know what these symptoms are pinpointing. Thanks for any advice.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

It is much better to play it safe when it comes to bird care... they often will not show any signs of illness until it is very serious.

I would take that bird to the vet. If it is stress, okay, but if not, it is best not to wait. Maybe your bird is just fine, but they way he is acting.. I would not wait, especially when he is loosing balance, not eating much, not being vocal..

let us know what the vet said. Good luck.