Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Aviary heating

Brand New Egg Four little ducks's Avatar
    Thanks

Aviary heating

Hi, can anyone direct me to an online shop where they sell safe heating and lighting for aviary sheds?

Thanks

Re: Aviary heating

I dont know of an online shop but what exactly are you wanting? I have an aviary outside and it is getting cold here so I went out and bought a 250 watt heat lamp from home depot and installed it in there. We just put a cage around it so the birds cant land on the lamp and get burned. They like to sit in front and on top of the cage at night when it gets cold. Around their perches in the front of the lamp is about 80-90F and they love it especially after bathing. Are you looking for a lamp like that or for an actual heater that you would have in a room?

Thanks

Do you have any pics of the heat lamp set up to give me an idea?
    Which do you think would be best for them a heater for the shed or a heat lamp, if they get too warm with the heat lamp they can move away from it so mabey that's better? Any ideas welcome

Thanks

Heres a link to a topic that shows what I did with the aviary now that winter is coming http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=24972
    I think a heat lamp is better for that reason that they can go somewhere else if they get too hot. Last year when I didnt have as many birds, they were all in the garage and I had a heater the whole winter in there.... guess how much the electric bill was..... $300!! I guess the heat lamp will be a better option this time

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Similar to the thermastaticly controlled small heater I have in the livingroom with the birds. It's set to turn on if the room gets colder than 70F. The birds will huddle in front of it until they're warm, then go off and play

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Heating isn't needed for most birds if they're allowed to acclimatise. I keep some fragile birds in an outside aviary and they have access to an indoor flight and I've not lost any to the cold, I have an oil filled radiator on low just to take the chill out of the air. As long as they can get to a draught free shelter they should be fine, although heating the room to 15C would suit them fine.

Thanks

http://www.avitec.com/PearlcoN.html
    I found this site.
    Budgies and Cockatiels are hardy but it would be nice for them to have a bit of comfort outside, I've had the budgies for 5 years and they have been used to being indoors although the flight will give them a better quality of life. The shed is draught proof, shiplap. I'll have to wait until about April or May to start getting them used to the outdoors, but I can't wait to see them flying around and only having to go to bed when it's starting to get dark :-) Will be great to sit and watch their antics.

Bird Lover Brand New Egg Kathy Osborn's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Thanks

Hello, I read your information about how you caged your heat lamp. I'm planning on buying a heat lamp today as the weather tonight here will be 25 degrees, which is the coldest its been here for a long time. I clicked on your link so I could see how you caged your heating lamp but it said page not found. Can you tell me what type of cage you used? Was also wondering if they land on the cage can it burn them?