where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Even Numbers?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kait
    Thanks

Question Even Numbers?

I've had two male budgies(Charlie and Andy) since August 24th 2005 and I recently adopted a female bird from a lady who could no longer take her. Before I recieved my female, my males were really close and they really liked each other. Now that theres a female in the picture they argue and fight alot, especially when they are out of the cage (the female is in a seperate cage and the two males are together). My question was should I get another female to even out the numbers, I figure they are fighting over the female and that this would be the only way to fix the problem. Any advice would be appreciated!

Name
    Jenny
    Thanks

Re: Even Numbers?

I'm wondering the same thing, does anyone know or have experience on this?

(RIP Wilbert, I will love you always ~2004-2009)
    (RIP Snowflake, I will love you always ~2005-2009)
    (RIP Senior, I will love you always ~2005-2010)
    (RIP Sunflower, I will love you always ~2005-2010)
    (RIP Princess, I will love you always ~2005-2012)

Name
    Terri
    Thanks

It's a bit of a gamble, really. In general they do best in even numbers but adding a new budgie (especially a female) also means you're risking your other female being bossed around. Females tend to be a lot more aggressive than males.

I definitely wouldn't add another budgie for the sole purpose of "evening up the numbers." If you really want another budgie then go for it. Keep in mind that a male would be more likely to be bossed around by your female and another female increases the chances of them bickering and fighting with each other in general. It's really hard to tell and by the end of it, you might be up to your ears in bird cages in an attempt to keep the peace!

If the cause of the bickering really is that there is a female around, maybe you should look into reducing hormonal triggers so they won't be in "breeding mode" so to speak. Cover and uncover them at the same times each day and night and make sure they're getting 10-12 hours of complete darkness every night. (12 if you think they really are trying to breed with your female and fighting over her because of this.) Rearrange their toys and perches on a regular basis as well. Once a week is good.

If you really want another budgie and have the means to take care of it even if it ends up having to be caged separately, I say go for it but try not to have too many expectations; they tend to surprise us in both good and bad ways! If you are just worried about the bickering of your males, try some other things as this isn't a very good reason to buy another bird. In addition to decreasing hormonal triggers, a larger cage may help. I've found that when given more space, bickering budgies tend to become friends again.

And of course, if this is more than bickering and you fear they will hurt each other, they'll need to be separated.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kait
    Thanks

Thans for you reply I think I'm gonig to wait a little while more and see how thing go, them I'll decide from there!

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

well when I had 2 females than added a male I had the same thing happen the girls were fightinmg over the one male so I got another male
    it is best to keep even numbers up until 6 or so
    right now I have 7 3 males & 4 females the rule of thumb is always have more males than females to keep the pece
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up