Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Unhappy Sweet Sad Goodbye

I was at work on Wednesday...and this guy came in, asking all about ferrets. Apparently their neighbor had two, and their son (about 8 years old) has been researching them like MAD for the past 6 months. I talked to the guy about 45 minuted about ferrets, and even though he never had them he really seemed to know his stuff.

I told him about mine, and my situation, and he asked if him and his kids could come meet them Saturday night. I said yes, and he came over last night and played with my wseasels for about two hours. He was so interested and his kids were SO good with them, I just had to. I told him that he could have them, as long as he promised to keep in touch and let me come over all the time. He said of course.

So I helped him to his truck with all of their stuff, kissed Kira goodbye and gave John a big hug. His wife said thank you so much, that they were perfect and his family would be so happy with them. She told me not to cry and I ran inside really fast before I lost it. I went into my room and started bawling. They went to the best family in the world, I could never ask for better people, but I still cried, missing them even though they were only gone for a minute.

This morning I woke up, and looked into the bitterly empty corner or my room, and started crying again. I already got an email from John, saying they were doing great and he loved them, but I still feel so empty.

My dad hugged me and told me how good I did, and every inch of me wanted to hit him in the face for doing this. How dare he sit there and comfort me when he was the reason for all of this? I had to bite my tounge and i have scabs on the back of my hands where my fingernails dig in.

I can't believe they are already gone. No more crazy jumping around, no more ferret tag games, no more cuddling up in my lap or licking my ears. When I wake up I have no one to jump on the side of the cage and greet me with pleading eyes that are begging to be let out. Who knew life without ferrets would change so much? My day seems so drab now. I have been hugging and kissing every other animal I have, spilling tears over their fur and feathers, hoping and praying the same thing won't have to happen with them.

Sorry my post is so long, but everyone here is the only ones who can understand. Only someone who has lost a ferret or other critter can know how empty it makes you feel. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Hillari

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: Sweet Sad Goodbye

I bet that was really painful Hillari. I know your is breaking and your tears are flowing. That is quite alright. You love those animals. Thanks so much for sharing your story. Be grateful that they are with another person that loves them just as much as you do. I will pray for your strength to get through this painful time.

Thanks

I'm so sorry. That completely sucks. My heart goes out to you hun. I hope things get much better for you soon. It's great that you can still keep in touch with them though...Try to stay positive, and keep us posted
    Success: To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

Miko, my Yorkie
    Coco, mi Pajarito Lindo

UTSA Roadrunners '11 Fledgeling miss_emily07's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I am so sorry, but think on a brighter side; You are able to visit them and see how they are doing and your ferrets bonded with the kids. Your heart wouldn't let you give it that family if you had negative feelings.
    Yours Truely, Emily

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Ooooh, I feel like crying just reading that... ;_; I'm so sorry you had to give up your babies. I can only imagine how hard it must be... But man, it sounds like you found them a GREAT family, and it's wonderful that you'll still be able to visit.

As much as I disagree with everything your father made you do, he is right that you did a good job of finding them a good home. (Of course, it wasn't his place to say that kind of thing after he made you give them up.) But at least you don't have to say goodbye forever. You'll be able to visit them!

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

i am so sorry, hillary. i had no idea you were being forced to get rid of your ferrets (i have been off the board, crazy in the last months or so). that must be very hard. my heart goes out to you.

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have been e-mailing the family thathas my ferrets. They are doing good apparently, and adjusting well (of course). Its's just wierd not having them anymore, like I said it feels so empty in my room

-
    Marcus Aurelius

- Fledgeling
    Thanks

Hillari, you did what any responcible parent would do- you did the best for your babies under the surcumstances. hang in there, girl. I can guarantee you will always feel empty when you think of them, but after a while it gets better. At least you know they are well!
    You do have a large household... I would be upset with my father too...

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

Beatles tune "Breaking up is hard to do" comes to mind
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Yeah, I got another email and I guess they are just pleased as punch with the new additions to their home. Even their Aussie Shep likes the ferrets! *sniff sniff*

-
    Marcus Aurelius

Thanks

I'm so sorry that you had to do this...I am glad however, that you have your other critters to comfort you. It's not the same, but at least you still have those guys. **hugs**
    - Aviennda, Bunji and Henry (Meyer's and Senegal)