Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

bird safe heaters?

I know this question must of been asked lots of times but I cannot seem to find it anywhere. What heaters are safe for birds? We have had a portable ceramic heater for years that we use in the living room to back up the large gas heater we have in the nights and now that I see some heaters are dangerous to birds it makes me wonder if we have put boomer in any danger in the past by using this ceramic heater. Is there a list of bird safe heaters located on this site anywhere? We want to buy another one of these ceramic heaters to put in my daughters room where Boomer sleeps but I am not sure if this would be a great idea after all. If any one could give me suggestions on differant heaters to use, I would love the ideas.. Thanks!!

Name
    Roger
    Thanks

Re: bird safe heaters?

I dont think a ceramic heater poses a risk, other than the bird coming in contact with it directly. The heaters to avoid are ones that a: have a wick and burn a fuel, ie kerosene heaters or propane heaters and b: oil filled electric radiators, as oil vapors if they spring a leak could be hazardous.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Actually, some space heaters have teflon coating and that's the danger, same as cookware. There's not a list on tailfeathers, that I know of, but I'll see if I can compile something over the next few weeks.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

thanks Carol,
    thats what I read, that some do have Teflon. I looked all over the boxes at the store of lots of differant ones when I went to buy one tonight and none had anything on them about Teflon but I read some horrible stories about birds dying because of portable heaters so I wanted to see if anyone knew that already checked them out. I am going to call the Holmes company on Monday and ask if the ceramic heaters they sell to see if they are safe but was checking here now so maybe we could put the heater in the room before Monday, it is cold here but I will wait for Monday because I would want to hurt boomer. A list would be great but may be quite a clore for you to do.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

I think it's an important list to have, though. I also use space heaters and need to check myself. A list would be just as helpful as harmful/safe wood, plants and food.

first one is:
    Marvin Model 5000 Quartz Heater]

One article says all modern space heaters have teflon coating. Another say s to check with the manufacturer
    http://www.ewg.org/reports/toxicteflon/ownertips.php

this website is really thorough. it even talks about the heat lamps for chicks and ducklings that killed them because of the teflon coating. So I guess I'll have to email the manufacturers and ask them.

In the mean time, if anyone gets a reply about space heaters and heat lamps, please let us know the brand names and danger levels.

I'll keep working on it.
    Thanks
    Last edited by WolfRyder; 12-10-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Bird kisses are the best. Fledgeling CritterLover's Avatar
    Name
    Melanie
    Thanks

Carol, just some info while you're researching.

I have an oil-filled heater like this one

Mine is made by a company called Pelonis. I love it because it doesn't have a fan (so it's super quiet) and the burner is sealed inside with the oil, which radiates the heat. I use it to keep my summer kitchen from freezing, so it is completely away from the bird. I have contacted the manufacturer and they say they do not use teflon on the outside of the heater. The oil is mineral oil.

I intend to get another one for my living room. They have a safety cover that keeps the top from getting super hot --- I can put my hand on it and it's warm, but wouldn't cause a burn. They can also be programmed for different times of the day, depending on how warm you want it.

I recommend them highly, although I am not sure if the other manufacturers don't use teflon as well.
    My Crew
    In loving memory of Ping, Pong and my Little Green Bean. You're sadly missed.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Ooo I had a couple of those several years ago. They sprung leaks But they weren't as nice as that one, didn't have a "top plate" and not programmable. I'll have to check into these. Thanks!

Name
    Roger
    Thanks

Those are exactly the ones you shouldn't use. If they spring a leak the mineral oil vapors can harm your bird.

Name
    Roger
    Thanks

WolfRyder, the link about teflon toxicity you posted is brutal in my opinion. They tested (killed) on birds, another needless "study". We all know teflon kills birds. Why torture them just to prove the point.

Bird kisses are the best. Fledgeling CritterLover's Avatar
    Name
    Melanie
    Thanks

Roger there are many sites who talk about the bird-safety of oil-filled heaters. Yes, it might spring a leak. But a ceramic heater might overheat and cause a fire, making lethal smoke that could kill your bird. Given I'm not a terribly good cook, I might burn something on the stove, too, causing equally toxic fumes. I might walk out my front door and get hit by a bus.

The heaters, in and of themselves, are safe -- or no more dangerous than other hot things in the house that might cause toxic fumes if they malfunction.

Thanks for pointing out the risk, though.
    Last edited by CritterLover; 12-11-2005 at 04:13 PM.
    My Crew
    In loving memory of Ping, Pong and my Little Green Bean. You're sadly missed.

Name
    Roger
    Thanks

Yep, that's all I was doing...pointing out the risk. I use a heater almost exactly like yours. I feel it's the safest route to go for me and my Too's. I dont use it very often but I feel using it occassionally on very cold nights to help keep the birds room warm outweighs the chances of it springing a leak.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

it's always hard with stuff like this. way too many bad products out there- and it's hard to find good ones. looking forward to carol's report. (make a big announcement that it's done, will ya? i don't wanna miss it!)

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrained
    WolfRyder, the link about teflon toxicity you posted is brutal in my opinion. They tested (killed) on birds, another needless "study". We all know teflon kills birds. Why torture them just to prove the point.
    I noticed that but didn't realize the people who put up the site did the "testing". I thought they were just the ones giving the results.

and yeah, it was brutal. But most everything else is "antidotal" and all "scientists" reject that information as "unscientific". At least the scientists that make policy and work for companies that make products.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I called the Holmes company and asked them if their ceramic heaters had any kind of PTFE (Teflon) in them and first of all I had to give them the exact model number on the heater I was going to buy, the HCH4166SILU, and they looked it up and it does not have any Teflon in it. I even had them check to make sure it had no PTFE (this is what Teflon really is) and he assured me they do not. He actually told me none of their heaters have Teflon in them but just to make sure I would call and have them check out the model number because they look it up in a book and you can never be too careful.

I also found a comment from Carrie B. off this site when I was searching Yahoo for bird safe heater options, Carrie wrote that in the FAQs on the Holmes web site it says that their heaters don’t have any Teflon in them. I looked up the Holmes FAQ’s and it says this so after my phone call and looking at the FAQs on the Holmes website, I now know that the heater I wanted to buy is safe for Boomer and the rest of us here. I have a old model of this same heater and we have had it for years and ran it often so I did not think it was any kind of problem but since I wanted to put a new one next to Boomer at night, I had to make sure positively it was safe and it is!!! By the way I also read that when ever you purchase a new heater that you should run it in the garage, out of the house for a few days to burn off the factory oils and things. I guess my Hubby is going to be nice and warm working in his garage for few days using our new heater.

We can add one more heater to your safe list Carol, the Holmes Ceramic Heater, model # HCH4166SILU.

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

This is probably going to be one of the stupidest questions ever, but *why* exactly do some heaters have teflon on them? I'm just wondering what they're afraid might get stuck to it... ^_^

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Nancy Dubin
    Thanks

Hey Phoenix--don't feel bad I was wondering the same thing !!! Could it have something to do with dispursing the heat more evenly ??? Why would a hair dryer have teflon ??? I know there was a list posted here more than once on items that could /did have teflon coating and there were a few items I couldn't understand !!!

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Carol, I'm looking forward to hearing what you find. We could use a space heater. But I'm scared of them!

Thanks for the website link, too. Its one of the more informative websites. Its also heartbreaking, if you read people's stories. The first one they listed made me cry.

I'm scared to death of teflon (and its cousins); it's on everything. I have no teflon cookware, and I've avoided all the kithcen appliances that might have it. (We couldn't find any breadmakers that don't contain it, so we don't have one...) But I'm afraid of some item containing it that I haven't thought of. Or...what a truly fear...is a sofa and chair I have that were originally treated with Stainsafe. I had no idea the stuff was a problem. We've never seen ill effects from it, but it makes me sick I purchased it and was told up and town it was OK around all pets. Then I found out that its might not be!

I hope this stuff gets attached and eventually edged out of the market. I have no idea why its on everything...I hate it, even as a cooking susbstance, even if I had no birds. Sooo many surfaces do the job so much better. Its so far inferior to stainless steel or to cast iron. IMHO as an occasional kitchen enthusiest, it never should have been invented.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixk
    This is probably going to be one of the stupidest questions ever, but *why* exactly do some heaters have teflon on them? I'm just wondering what they're afraid might get stuck to it... ^_^
    I've always wondered the same thing....