where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Please HELP me with this question

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mesrop
    Thanks

Exclamation Please HELP me with this question

Hey you guys i don't know if u remember me but i put a few posts about a couple of months ago. i have 8budgies (4females&4males) in a 5' x 4' aviary. I have a question about them wanteing to lay eggs. I witnessed them mating yesterday for about 10mins, and a day before that i witnessed that the hen wouldnt come out of the nest box and i saw her again today in the nest box. how long after mating do they lay eggs? does this mean that she will lay eggs or are they just showing sexual interest? lol. I mean i have read where they said it might take 2 days and i have also read somehwere on the internet that it might take about a week for the first egg to be layed... im not sure but anything will help! thanX. Oh and the cock does not keep guard most of the time infront of the nest box. why not?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks

Re: Please HELP me with this question

They should start to lay after about 10 days after mating starts, Although sometimes it's earler, it depends on the hen. Also the males really don't stand guard. They feed the hen and chicks but they don't just sit on the perch on the box. At least that's been my experience. But there are no eggs so no there is nothing to guard.
    I have 32 Budgies, 2 Lovebirds, 8 Cockatiels, 2 Rosey Bourkes Parakeets, 1 pair of IRN's, 2 Diamon Doves. I breed the Keets, Tiels, and Diamond Doves. I also have 1000+ show pigeons, 5 chickens, and several other non-bird pets. *Diamond Doves have 2 new babies and I'm hand feeding a tiel from day 1*

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mesrop
    Thanks

Oh by the way i didn't put anything in their nest box for comfort. its just the wood with the concave on it for the eggs. the bit the inside of it and it created some wood shavings but not nearly enough to support her. should i put something in it or not? if so, what material should i put, grass.. wood shavings..etc.?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mesrop
    Thanks

Ive witnessed them mating again today. I think they are really trying to lay eggs but there still are no eggs. what could be wrong? Since i read that they only mate to reproduce... why arent they reproducing? she goes in and out of the nest box. i put some nesting material inside the nest box and she took them all out. how come there is no eggs being layed? please someone help.

Since its been said that it takes 10 days to lay the first egg after mating starts, would they necissarily mate everyday for 10 days until the first egg appears. then do they keep mating for the rest of the eggs to appear? ? PLEASE REPLY
    Last edited by Oreo&Robin; 12-20-2005 at 03:30 PM.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

I really don't know. Try seeing if you can find a book on Amazon or at your bookstore about budgie breeding. That may help.

I've only had one budgie lay one egg and that was a few weeks ago and there has been nothing else. And I'm doing everything I can to discourage it.

Do a google search on

breeding budgerigars

and you will get a lot of hits that should be helpful
    Last edited by WolfRyder; 12-20-2005 at 05:43 PM.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Remove Ads