Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: First time got Love Birds Pair, Plz Help

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mandeep Sahani
    Thanks

First time got Love Birds Pair, Plz Help

Hi everyone,

Just got a love bird pair last week. Previously i didnt knew we can tame them. Saw many online video tutorials, but confused a lot. Some say pair will lay eggs so keep them separate if you do not want them to breed, some say they love to be in pairs... i am totally confused how to go.
    Please can you help me to understand following :

1) How to know their age as they are not babies thats for sure and the seller too didnt give complete information
    2) Do i need to take them to vet for regular checkup ?
    3) How to tame them as they are two and talk to each other mostly and when we try to talk they just listen only, no reply.
    4) Also taking care of them is to be done by only one person, or 2 person can take their care as when i am in office my wife use to make them bath and feed them, and when i am back i try to befriend with them.
    5) what pattern do they eat as we serve them small amount of seeds given by vendor. The quantity we serve is 1 tea-spoon full for both and remove the leftover food and water in night. But they poop many times, is it ok or am i doing something wrong in their diet ?
    6) Yesterday evening the birds were getting restless in cage, so i opened the cage ; male didnt came out, but female flew to my shoulder and sat for about a minute and then flew here and there. Tried a lot to call her to cage and even tried her to get to my finger or millet, but no success. finally after half an hour of running behind them, i had to catch her from back as my 5 yr old son got scared & cried (as he is not used to this) and thought she might bite him. So is it ok if i caught her form back? or will this make her uncomfortable or not trust me. Today morning i tried to take my finger near them, bith ran here and there in cage. so i left.

Please can you help.

I love pets and this is first time i got birds as pet and that too sweet cute lovebirds.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Mandeep

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 1,263 Posts

Re: First time got Love Birds Pair, Plz Help

Hi, and welcome to the community. Congrats on bringing home your lovebirds. We have several lovebird members. I'm sure they will see your post and answer your questions.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

[QUOTE=mandeep.sahani;850250]

1) How to know their age as they are not babies thats for sure and the seller too didnt give complete information. Unless the seller told you there age there is really no way of knowing. The only time you can really tell is if they are babies they will not have the full adult colors.

2) Do i need to take them to vet for regular checkup ? I hate to admit this but I never took Boomer to the vets until he got sick when he was 8 years old. It is up to you if you take them to a vet or not. If I were to get another bird I think I would take them in for a annual checkup just because I learned how well birds can hide their illnesses until they are really sick and finally you can see the signs of it.

3) How to tame them as they are two and talk to each other mostly and when we try to talk they just listen only, no reply. In the evenings you can take one of them out in a separate room and spend time alone with it. Sweet talk it and try to offer it some spray millet. It will be hard to teach them you are there friend since they are older. I would also constantly take to both of them when you are in the same room. They will get use to your voice and know you are not there enemy. Offer them treats through their cage bars. If they are peachface lovebirds they love spray millet and this may just be your best way to become there friend.

4) Also taking care of them is to be done by only one person, or 2 person can take their care as when i am in office my wife use to make them bath and feed them, and when i am back i try to befriend with them. Both of you can be there friend. Boomer adored my daughter and was very much in love with her but he also loved me and my husband. I was his least favorite one and he loved to bite me but each night he would fly to me to get his night time pets and I had to be the one who put him to bed.

5) what pattern do they eat as we serve them small amount of seeds given by vendor. The quantity we serve is 1 tea-spoon full for both and remove the leftover food and water in night. But they poop many times, is it ok or am i doing something wrong in their diet ? I would give them two feeders with seed in both of them and let them eat all they want. I do not think restricting what they eat is good for them. Boomer had two feeder cups in his cage. One of them had his seed mix and one had pellets in them and he ate out of them off and on all day long. I blew out the seed husks in the evenings and then replaced the entire cup of food every other day. Sometimes more if I suspected he might have pooped in his food.

6) Yesterday evening the birds were getting restless in cage, so i opened the cage ; male didnt came out, but female flew to my shoulder and sat for about a minute and then flew here and there. Tried a lot to call her to cage and even tried her to get to my finger or millet, but no success. finally after half an hour of running behind them, i had to catch her from back as my 5 yr old son got scared & cried (as he is not used to this) and thought she might bite him. So is it ok if i caught her form back? or will this make her uncomfortable or not trust me. Today morning i tried to take my finger near them, bith ran here and there in cage. so i left. Sometimes you just have to grab them like you did so I think it is OK the way you got it back in them cage. Everyday talk to them when you they can hear you. Sit next to the cage and talk to them or just sit there so they get use to you being close to them. Try hard to teach your son they will not hurt him because the birds may just trust him more then the adults in the house. Boomer was my daughters best friend when she almost 5 until he died when he was almost 13 years old. They love they had for each other was such a blessing to her and he taught her how to love a animal and most importantly how to treat a animal with love and patience.

I hope you and your family and these two lovebirds will have a good long life with lots of love in it
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Thanks

Does your birds have a metal ring to their feet?

Remove Ads