Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh no!!! Here we go again...The Sequel to the Sequel

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Oh no!!! Here we go again...The Sequel to the Sequel

As has been mentioned a couple of times...our happy little household has been blessed with the sound of new baby squeaks. This time however, it is not Baby and Dory...although Baby would be more than happy to raise another clutch...this time it is Pellet and Pinhead. We have done all that we could to discourage breeding but it seems our birds are just too happy here to not reproduce. So...a quick summation of things as they are...Pellet laid 6 eggs...#1 ended up damaged and was therefore not viable...5 were and are fertile. Egg #2 hatched out last Wednesday (Dec. 14) and is growing like the proverbial weed. The second one to hatch (egg #3) hatched out on Saturday (Dec. 17). At the time of this writing, we have drawn down in the next in line (egg #4) so it should appear some time today or tomorrow...
    So...perhaps a pic or two or more is now in order...

Somehow I expect we will be putting up a few more pics over the weeks to come

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: Oh no!!! Here we go again...The Sequel to the Sequel

Peter, you are so fortunate to witness mummie and babies. Those pictures are unbelievable with them all together. How precious is that!

Charlie and Scarlet Hatching budgie-boy's Avatar
    Name
    Henry
    Thanks

So cute! I love the little pink baby budgies.

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Yes Grace, we are fortunate. Seeing them like that never gets old...and we did get to see something we had not seen before. When the second one was hatching out on Saturday night, we were able to witness both parents doing a frantic dance around the baby as it was coming out of the egg. At first we didn't know what was going on but then we realized they were trying to help it out and Pinhead was going nuts grabbing all the little bits of egg shell that were on the cloth and eating them. It was scary and amazing all at the same time...

Thanks

Awww! Pellets little hormones are kickin in!! Thats amazing, it seems like yesterday that Pellet, Boca, and Kalea were born and now they are all grown up already! Since Pellet and Pinhead are the same color except that Pinhead is a yellow-face, do you think you will have more cute little yellow face babies?? That would be so exciting!

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Finch
    Awww! Pellets little hormones are kickin in!! Thats amazing, it seems like yesterday that Pellet, Boca, and Kalea were born and now they are all grown up already! Since Pellet and Pinhead are the same color except that Pinhead is a yellow-face, do you think you will have more cute little yellow face babies?? That would be so exciting!
    We've wondered about that. It's hard to say what the colours might be because of the recessive gene factor. If you remember, Pellets father (Little Timothy) was a standard green, and Babybird (her mother) is yellow and green (the mutation I can't recall) and yet not one of those 3 babies looked like their parents. So...the only thing we can do now is wait and see...although if we do have a yellow faced blue baby...I can think of someone on this board who might be a little bit jealous

Thanks

I think I would be very jealous. I am curious to see what babies they make because I have a hen like Pellet and my male has the Cobalt Blue color with a yellow face and Im thinking of pairing them up. I love yellow face blues, they are so pretty.

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Around here, we don't have to pair them up...it's keeping them apart that's the problem. We are still having a terrible time getting Baby to stop laying, Gizzie is still trying to get Pinhead to mate with her...we've had to break that up a few times lately...Pinhead is such a tramp...and Houdini and L'il Mo are looking to set up housekeeping...the hormonal hell rages on...

Thanks

Oh wow, they sure sound like they want to breed... all of them... lol. After I saw this post, I went outside in the aviary and just took one box and put it in the corner to see what they would do... omg, all the hens and their males went at it and started peeking to see if it was a nestbox, it was so tempting!
    Oh, I've done this so many times but never actually remembered how long the whole process is. How long is it from when the chick is born to being independant??? I just realized that after all this time, I dont know how long the process is, I just watch them grow...

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

Your going to have a multi-generational home for a while! Baby, the grandmother; Pellet the daughter; and the chicks are the grandbabies!

Can't wait to see more pictures! I love baby pictures!
    ~Sarah

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Oh wow, they sure sound like they want to breed... all of them... lol. After I saw this post, I went outside in the aviary and just took one box and put it in the corner to see what they would do... omg, all the hens and their males went at it and started peeking to see if it was a nestbox, it was so tempting!
    Oh, I've done this so many times but never actually remembered how long the whole process is. How long is it from when the chick is born to being independant??? I just realized that after all this time, I dont know how long the process is, I just watch them grow...
    With ours, it has been roughly 4 to 5 weeks and they are flying. Around 6 weeks ours are pretty much eating on their own, with only the occasional parental feeding. At that point ours will still sometimes beg for food but they rarely will get fed...of course with Babybird, at that point she wants to have more babies...I am now convinced that the only thing that might (I do mean might) stop her wanting to breed is a 2 yr long stay at a budgie convent...

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by animalluver
    Your going to have a multi-generational home for a while! Baby, the grandmother; Pellet the daughter; and the chicks are the grandbabies!

Can't wait to see more pictures! I love baby pictures!
    It might stay multi-generational. With Pellet having recessive genes in her make up, it is possible that she may produce a baby that looks like her father (Little Timothy). If that were the case, we might have to keep it because we lost LT last June in spite of all the vet tried to do for him. There is still an empty space around here without him...

Thanks

Ahh then I dont think I should give any of mine a nestbox... I had originally planned to give them all a nestbox at the end of February but if I give them a box now, then they will be finishing up in the middle of February which doesnt give them much rest... Do you think it would work if I let them have a clutch right now and then start a new one around March 20th on the first day of spring? That would give them a little over a months rest though...

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Ahh then I dont think I should give any of mine a nestbox... I had originally planned to give them all a nestbox at the end of February but if I give them a box now, then they will be finishing up in the middle of February which doesnt give them much rest... Do you think it would work if I let them have a clutch right now and then start a new one around March 20th on the first day of spring? That would give them a little over a months rest though...
    To tell you the truth Finch...I don't know enough about their recuperative powers to give you a really solid answer on that. From what I have read, it is recommended to let them only have 2 clutches a year to give the hens ample time to rest and recover. Around here, our dilemma is too get Babybird out of her hormonal state which seems to be next to impossible no matter what we do...including hormone shots.
    I think in general, the difference between us is that you want yours to breed...your set up is completely different from ours...yours being in an outdoor aviary and ours being indoor free range budgies...and we want ours to stop breeding. I would be willing to bet that your knowledge on the subject would be greater than mine...

Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Ok...here's a couple more pics I forgot to put in the first time...hope you like...

ignore the poop on the eggs...even at this age they are little poop machines...

I just love how the older ones always put a wing around the smaller ones...it's happened with every clutch we have had...

Remove Ads