Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Can Cracked Eggs Survive?

Brand New Egg IloveMyBudgieBabies's Avatar
    Name
    Huda
    Thanks

Question Can Cracked Eggs Survive?

Hi Everyone

I have not been on here for awhile I have been very busy.

I have a question. Can a cracked egg still survive. ?? If so what are the chances?

Poor Rose every egg she lays gets broken I dont know why but when I look in its broken. She does sit on them now but she is refussing to use a nesting box. I dont know why. She actully whats the bottom of the cage. Should I move the eggs into the nesting box? Or leave them on the bottom of the cage?

I think thats why they keep breaking cuz they are ment to be in the nesting box not on the bottom of the cage.

I know that I am doing everything I should be. She has calsum suplement she has Multi Vitamin. (FOR BIRDS) she has her seeds her cutal bone although thats just to chew I know plus she is getting both dried and fresh vegies. And I am making her little cakes that have eggs and fruit in them. She loves them and it seems this is the only way to get the egg into her as she is still refussing the egg food.

Anyways her new egg has a crack in it. I think the cutal bone hit it. Im not sure. All I know is there is a crack, and she is still stitting on her egg. Should I remove it cuz of the crack or keep it in?

Thanks

huda
    My Budgie Babies......

:kalvin
    Proud Mommy to Rose and Duha, Sami and Zahrah, Meadow and Kasper and Butootie the cat

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

Re: Can Cracked Eggs Survive?

if you remove it she'll have to lay another to replace is. If she's refusing to use the nestbox, she doesn't like the nest box. Do you have her in a cage with only her and the papa bird? If so, you may want to make her a "nest" in the back corner of the cage where nothing can fall on it. See if she'd prefer that.

As far as a cracked egg goes, I don't think, unless you found it right away and there's some type of stuff you can stick it together with...arrrgggg read it somewhere but can't remember where.... then it probably won't hatch.

Just let her sit on it until she gets tired of sitting and abandons it. Then, when things are better, you may want to try setting up the cage different.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Huda
    Thanks

Ya I have them alone in the cage. I had to seperated them from the other birds cuz Rose kept attacking Zahrah.

I know she will keep laying to make up for the broken egg. The problem is all hers keep getting broken. Anyways I am going to try and go tomorrow and find another kind of nesting box. I need to buy 3 2 for the big cage. And one for Rose and Duha. Zahrah is going to lay soon and meadow is in the big cage with her so I what to put to nesting boxes to avoid Zahrah fighting with meadow over nesting space.

When I looked into the cage before bed I knowticed some of the shell was missing but she was still sitting on it. Poor Rose. I put it in the nesting box that I have for her and she went in and sat on it.

I have tried the little nest in the corner and well she refused that as well.

I dont get it.!

Thanks for replying to my post. There must be something for hair line fractures?

huda
    My Budgie Babies......

Proud Mommy to Rose and Duha, Sami and Zahrah, Meadow and Kasper and Butootie the cat

Thanks

Is there anything on the bottom of the cage or is it just the plastic/wire?? If it is just plastic or a wire grate, of course the egg will break. If the bottom is plastic, why not try to buy pine shavings and covering the whole bottom with about an inch of it? If the bottom is a grate, remove the grate then put the shavings down. Also, put some shavings in the nestbox. How many eggs have she laid and cracked so far?? If it was quite a few, then maybe she needs a rest and start all over. It really isnt good for her to have a clutch and hatch it on the ground, its odd that she wont go into the nestbox...

as for very small cracks, I use egg white. Simply take a chicken egg and get some of the egg white on your finger and dab it onto the crack. Wait a few minutes until it dries and then give it back to her (so it wont dry onto her feathers and then she will drag it off).

Name
    Huda
    Thanks

I put news paper. But I will do the wood chips. I put some before but I only but a small amount becasue I asked before and I was told wood chips will kill a budgie. I have a huge bag of pine shavings cuz thats what I use for my cats litter. I am going to put wood chips now. Thanks for the tip.
    With the egg white. Thats very helpful to know.

I tried to make her stop laying eggs. I have done everything. But she refusses. But At least now I know away I can help her.

Thanks alot
    My Budgie Babies......

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

I wonder if those newspaper pellet thingies would work for cage lining? They're safe for all animals and we used them when we had rats.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Thanks

Carol, that is a good idea... I wonder too if it would work. Im off now to research and see if anyone uses it.
    Huda, the pine shavings are perfeclty safe, I use them in my nestboxes every time.

Thanks

i would put a little fleece like blanket for her and the eggs to sit on, thats what i did....something soft

My Budgies: Sky,Snowflake,Vanilla Bean,Marshmallow,Blueberry,Lemonpop,Pee-Wee

My Parrotlet: Sweetpea!

The ones Ive lost...I miss you so much!!!!
    Teal,Lemon,Coconut,Kiwi,Midnight,Baby Gray,Nibbles,Aqua,Cottonball,Sunshine,Fluffer,
    Powderpuff

Name
    Huda
    Thanks

LOL I like the fleese Idea. Actully I did that with her very first egg first she covered the egg with it. Then she decided that the egg was a better ball then an egg she through the fleese pice anyway and they all pooped on it.............

I always end up with the funny animals. I dont get it.

My Moms tiel liked ginger ale.
    I had a dog who loved rwa carrots.
    My cat hates fish.
    I had a rabbit who liked pepsi.
    All my animals like pizza/ chips
    And now I have a bird who likes to lay on the bottom of the cage. Shes hatting those wood chips by the way. But too bad.
    Im going nest shopping either today or tomorrow. Depending if I have the car or not. I want to see if its just the type of nest that I have.

Thanks for all the little ideas.

Huda
    My Budgie Babies......

Sic Transit Gloria Brand New Egg Cambria's Avatar
    Name
    Brig/Reilly
    Thanks

I heard that you can fix little cracks with paper... You're supposed to tear it up really small with your teeth and kinda chew it like a spitball and put it over the crack because It dries. It might sound like a prank or something, I read it somewhere though. Yea, as finch said egg white works too.
    ::Fredrick and Pippin's 2006 clutch::

UTSA Roadrunners '11 Fledgeling miss_emily07's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I would do the blanket Idea or get a large bag of cotton to put on the bottom and put newspaper ontop so that they dont try to eat it or something if they pick something off from the bottom of the cage.
    Yours Truely, Emily

Remove Ads