Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Male dogs vs. female dogs....any major temperment differences?

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Male dogs vs. female dogs....any major temperment differences?

I've only ever had male dogs both growing up as a kid and also owning my own as an adult. Not sure why we always picked males though but we just did. So, I saw a puppy for sale on-line with a photo today. I know, I know, we said we'd wait to spring and maybe we will, but this little puppy is just tugging at my heart today! She looks like our Tucker but with brown ears! She is a bichon/shih tzu mix (Tucker was 100% bichon). The only thing is that she is a girl and I'm not familiar with female pets! Are their personalities different, do they get more tempermental, do they wet more? Are there any major reasons to choose a boy over a girl? Thanks for any insight you can provide!
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Banned Tailfeather
    Name
    www.grendelmonster.com
    Thanks

Re: Male dogs vs. female dogs....any major temperment differences?

My dogs are both females and very loving.

What site is selling a dog? I would be concerned about buying a dog when there are so many that are available for adoption at www.petfinder.org

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

I think it is not so much a female vs. male difference as a individual personality difference. I have had both male and female. I have never had an agressive dog, but my male Seagan was grumpy, and I have heard female dogs have less dominant issues

Name
    Pam
    Thanks

Yeah, I think both are great and it depends on the individual rather than it's gender. There are some commonly held beliefs about male vs female, but if neutered at the proper age, there really isn't much difference.

It costs a bit more to have a female neutered, and females typically end up with more bladder problems in old age. Any dominance or other issues can usually be overcome with training. My female went through a weird time when she was about 2 where she thought she was a male... she tried to rule the house and even lifted her leg to mark every 3 seconds when outside. We changed this alpha behaviour pretty quickly and easily once we figured out what was going on.

I think it's great that you have a cute little puppy in mind. They're hard to live without once you're used to having the little guys around.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    janet
    Thanks

Just saw your post male vs. female dogs. My sister has a female Shi Tsu. She is very nippy and moody, but they haven't had her spayed yet either and she's 3 years old. Her vet told her that female Shi Tsu's tend to be dramatic and don't usually have as easy going manner as the male's. I have one experience with a male Shi Tsu when I was at the vet with my cat and the male was a sweety pie. So, something to think about I guess.

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keetmom
    My dogs are both females and very loving.

What site is selling a dog? I would be concerned about buying a dog when there are so many that are available for adoption at www.petfinder.org
    It is just our local classified ads from the newspaper which you can view online (since we only get a Sunday paper). I have looked at petfinder a lot but they tend to have older dogs and not the breed we are looking for. Since I have allergies to many breeds we can only pick from a select few non-shedding varieties that I'm o.k. with.

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goldfinch
    Just saw your post male vs. female dogs. My sister has a female Shi Tsu. She is very nippy and moody, but they haven't had her spayed yet either and she's 3 years old. Her vet told her that female Shi Tsu's tend to be dramatic and don't usually have as easy going manner as the male's. I have one experience with a male Shi Tsu when I was at the vet with my cat and the male was a sweety pie. So, something to think about I guess.
    Thanks for that info. I know it is probably just individual personalities that you have to look for. I guess we are pretty sure now that we were still opt for a male again which rules the pup out that I had seen listed. Plus my husband said he would prefer to get the puppy younger than 5 months old which this particular dog already was. His thinking is, if we are getting a puppy let's get it as young as we can and start at square one with it. They do grow up so fast so I guess I can see his rationale. So we're back to a spring time-frame as originally planned! But that won't stop me from looking at the classifieds. Oh, and my vet said it cost twice as much to spay a female than to neuter a male and it's a much more extensive surgery for the female.

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

Just go to the animal shelter. Please? Just go and look going there and seeing all the dogs really pulls on your heartstrings... I got my dog she is so good. She doesn't shed she came already spaid and everything and is 2 so past her chewing puppy phase and to top it all off she was already house trained I only paid $25 for her why get a puppy from a breeder for $300+ when you could save one? My shelter always has puppies. Most shelters do not update on petfinder.com so they have things that aren't listed on there. Shelters keep dogs 3-7 days before putting them down I got my dog on her doom day just minutes before they were going to put her down and she has been my best friend ever since. Also I have only owned females and they have all been very sweet.
    Lindsey

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bird lover
    Just go to the animal shelter. Please? I got my dog she is so good. She doesn't shed she came already spaid and everything and is 2 so past her chewing puppy phase and to top it all off she was already house trained. Although my shelter always has puppies. Most shelters do not update on petfinder.com so they have things that aren't listed on there. Shelters keep dogs 3-7 days before putting them down I got my dog on her euthanasia day and she has been my best friend ever since. Also I have only owned females and they have all been very sweet.
    Well I have checked the humane society's website (mine updates the site with photos of their pet inventory every day)every day for over a year now just "browsing" for birds and looking at dogs and so far I've never seen a puppy that is not a labmix nor have I seen any small dogs. My neighbor volunteers at our shelter to walk dogs and he said it is very rare to get any small dogs in and when they do they are usually gone within hours. I keep checking though but I think our chances there are pretty slim for the breed we need. Also, our shelters around here have a no kill policy! They stay at the shelter until adopted.

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

Humm are you sure of that? There must be a shelter around you. We just had a poodle at my pound as well as a cute small little terrier mix puppy. My dog is a terrier mix and only 20 pounds. Have you tried any rescues?
    Lindsey

Name
    Josh
    Thanks

I've always heard female dogs are more protective of their families and more likely to bite strangers. Heidi (in my sig) is the first female dog I've ever had (except for one when I was a kid) and is more protective than any other dog I've ever had... she gets very excited when someone is at the door and often intimidates people. She is also very loving though, to her family and people that we tell her are not bad guys. Anyone that is not approved by us though, watch out..

I love my bird! Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Chelsea
    Thanks

they are both really great. we have always had female dogs......for one thing femals cant "go" on ur walls. they are less terriotorial. if u really like the dog then go for it!