Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help - he's acting weird. Is he okay?

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Help - he's acting weird. Is he okay?

Hi everyone,

Sascha has been acting strange the past few days, and I don't know why or what to do. He's usually really active and likes to sing a lot, but lately he just puffs up and makes distress chirps (the short, sharp notes that send chills down my spine).

He usually likes kisses, but now he just bites my lips - which hurts quite a bit, I might add. While he usually stays up with us until 9:30 p.m. (he gets 10 hours of sleep per night), we have started putting him to bed at 7:30 p.m. figuring that he's just tired. We've been doing that for one week. Now, it seems that he doesn't want to be out of his cage at all.

We took him to the avian vet just three weeks ago for a routine checkup, and she said Sasch was fine. We said he did puff up more often since we moved to a new house on Feb. 1. Because the house is harder to heat, she suggested a heat lamp. We bought one and leave it on for him all day while we work. (It only warms one side of the cage - he can go to the other side if he doesn't like the heat). He seems to like it, though, and sits in it all the time.

My theories:
    1. He likes the heat so much he never wants to be out of his cage anymore, and when he is he is depressed, cold and angry.
    2. He is depressed because he is almost one year old and doesn't have any bird friends. (My husband and I spend one hour in the morning, one hour at lunch and typically four hours in the evening with him, though).
    3. He is sick, and I need to take him back to the vet for a more thorough checkup.

Any thoughts?
    Thanks ...
    Emily ray

Thanks

Re: Help - he's acting weird. Is he okay?

It does sound like he is sick...
    sitting aorund puffed up in his cage is not a good sign, especially if he does have a heat lamp (so you know he's not cold).
    The other change in his behaviour (being cranky) could be caused by both sickness and going through a hormonal period (that a lot of tiels go through when they are about a year old)...
    did the vet you took him to do any tests? or was it just a physical exam? often sick birds look perfectly healthy on the outside, and only a blood test or sometimes a poop test can show that they are actually batteling infection.
    I think a more thorough checkup would be a good idea, or at least give the vet a call and see what she thinks about the situation...

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Hi Dizzy,

Thanks for your advice. The vet did do a poop test, and it came out clean. But I guess Sascha could have gotten an infection in the three weeks since that test ...

This morning, I spent some quiet time with him cuddling and talking to him. He responded well. After about 20 minutes of loves and head scratches, he jumped onto my shoulder and sang. It was like he was back to his old self. Then he devoured a shredded wheat (I let him have one - not frosted - when I eat them for breakfast) and he continued to sing and chirp.

I wonder if he was just depressed lately. Or if it was the hormonal thing you were talking about. I also pulled the mirror out of his cage and hid the big mirror in our living room that he likes to play with. We've been letting him play with mirrors a lot lately, and I wonder if that may have something to do with it. So I am going to do some tests with that. Otherwise, he is eating fine and his poops look normal. I hope he's going to be okay. Otherwise, I will definitely take him back to the vet.

Does anyone else have any negative experiences with mirrors or hormones? (ha ha ... actually, I have negative experiences with both of those things at least once a month :haha )
    Emily

HarleysGirl

I had pretty much exactly the same thing with Harley last year. He was a year old last summer and boy, did he get cranky! I had to go home to my parents' house for the summer, which meant he couldn't be out of the cage that much (they have a couple of cats) but the cage would be in the living room during the day so he'd have plenty of company - my dad works from home, loves Harley and didn't ge a huge amount of work done sometimes (birdsa can be so distracting!). Anyways, Harley had always enjoyed playing in front of mirrors, so I set a mirror up by his cage as extra company. What with his first moult, the 1yr hormonal thing and the mirror, he turned into a vengeful little demon.

But don't worry! Once he'd got past that fun phase, he's back to the lovely baby he was before. We had to ration his mirror time for a bit, but now he can play with the 'other bird' and not get mad at us for no reason.

So providing your baby's not sick, it's just a case of riding out the storm and being understanding. It won't take long, even if it feels like it's going on forever! Good luck!

Remove Ads