where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Flaky Cere

Rachel Brand New Egg raychel_brooke's Avatar
    Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Unhappy Flaky Cere

I have been worried about my bird for a while I am not sure if I am overreacting or not. My birds cere seems to be flaking a bit and looks like he has a scab or something of the sort on it. I don't know if it might be scaly mites but he has not been around other birds for the two years that I have had him. I am going to call a vet on monday. Does anyone know what this could be because it is making me sick to see him and not know if he is healthy or not.

Can someone respond quickly I really would like to know if you have any ideas please voice them.
    Last edited by raychel_brooke; 01-07-2006 at 07:30 PM.

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Re: Flaky Cere

If you could post a pic of your bird it would make it possible to give you some ideas. Without actually being able to see the cere, anyone telling you anything would only be taking a shot in the dark and could not give you anything definitive...

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

ok
    Last edited by raychel_brooke; 01-07-2006 at 08:19 PM.

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Ok nvm here are the pics the lighting is not all that great but you can see the brown mark. http://www.vzwpix.com/share.do?invit...JqmP5pdUtY0UWL

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

are you sure your bird is a he? Cause it looks like the brown crusty cere of my females who are ... uh...homonal right now. I have 3 whose ceres look like that.

At least from what I can see. I know how hard it is to get a clear, in focus close up image of a budgie

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

They told me that it was a male they have blue cere when they are younger right?

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

The cere of the first image in my signature line is a mature male. Blue cere for male doesn't develope until they're mature. Blue for mature males unless there's a recessive of some kind.

Is it anything like this one?

this is my oldest budgie, Flyer and she's about 1 1/2 years old

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Well I am going to get his nails and wings clipped on monday I think. I am worried because he only has one spot on the beak and I thought it might change or go away and it has been there for a while. There is no way he could have mites if he has not been in contact with any other birds correct? I dont know his cere seems to look a bit dry to me.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

How old is your budgie? If it still has black lines on it's head towards it's face, it is still young and the sex cannot be determined. Only when it becomes mature will the cere develop into blue for males and brown for females. There are always exceptions as I had a budgie for 3-4 years whose cere never changed color.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

to Tailfeathers Rachel.

The mites you are thinking of cause scaly face and scaly leg, and they are called knemidokoptic mites. They are transmitted from bird to bird, or through an environment where an affected bird has been. I have also heard a theory that these knemidokoptic mites could transfer to a chick from a parent bird on the nest, and therefore the condition could break out if the bird is sick, stressed or has a weakened immune system. If this is correct, then your bird could develop scaly face.

The enlarged brown crust is called brown hypertrophy. It is not a condition on its own, but is a symptom of an underlyding cause. If your bird is female, the crustiness could indicate that she is hormonal and in breeding condition. It could also indicate the start of scaly face mites. If you bird is a male, and this brown crust has developed over the blue cere, it could indicate a testicular tumour.

Your birds does look female in the photographs. Is the brown crust that we see something that is only on that side, and was your bird's cere previously blue until this crust appeared?

Brown hypertrophy (if that is what it is) can be picked off by the vet, and your vet will help you find the underlying cause. Are you going to see an avian vet?

Let us know what your vet says.

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

When I got him/her from the pet store the person told me that he/she was male. Yes I think it was blue when I first got him/her but has been changing for a long time but it did not look serious until now. Also yes my bird does have black lines towards his/her face. I am going in monday for an apt with a person that specializes in birds to then see if the avian apt is necessay I am a college student and low on money for the time being but the cost of the vet will not stop me I want to make sure that my little bird is healthy and can live a full life.

Thanks

It really seems like there is nothing to worry about. Your bird is molting and is a female. Im not sure how you could have had her for 2 years because I can see the black lines on the forehead but I can see that she is moling and has all those pins so Im thinking that is her first molt which would indicate that she is around 4-6 months old. The cere isnt "too" dry, it is normal for females. The hen's ceres are scabby looking like that and do flake off and sometimes the whole thing comes off to leave a nice clean whitish cere underneith when her breeding cycle is over.

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Yes I really have had him/her for two years maybe a little less then that. My bird is not that young I got the bird when he was about 4 months old.

Remove Ads