Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Becky Bennett
    Thanks

Unhappy My Zebra finches have gross illness.

New to birds and need help with a mystery illness. My pair of Zebra finches have developed large bumps that look yellow/ puss filled on the front and back of their necks. It's terrifying to look at. The male has plucked out all of his feathers in the area. It appears to be very irritating and itchy. I changed their food, gave vitamins and sterilized their cage. Their baby was born with the same problem and died within a week. I am currently not allowing them to breed till I figure out what this is. Has anyone heard of this?

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

Re: My Zebra finches have gross illness.

Could it be a crop? That is where they store their food and it is normal. It would make sence that you can see it since they lost the feathers around their necks.
    Lindsey

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Becky Bennett
    Thanks

Oh my God this looks just like it. Why is this not in any of the Finch books? Is it some kindof secret? So, I just leave it be and it should go away? Thank you for your reply.

Thanks

The yellow bumps around the neck is just food in the crop. You cant see it on adults since they have feathers but it seems that maybe your male is a plucker and pulled his feathers out there and maybe the hens too.
    All birds have that crop there.
    These are zebra finches:

Same babies:

Cockatiels have it:

Ok.... too many pics but yeah, it sounds fine except that the male is just plucking himself and his mate.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Carolyn
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZebraMom View Post
    New to birds and need help with a mystery illness. My pair of Zebra finches have developed large bumps that look yellow/ puss filled on the front and back of their necks. It's terrifying to look at. The male has plucked out all of his feathers in the area. It appears to be very irritating and itchy. I changed their food, gave vitamins and sterilized their cage. Their baby was born with the same problem and died within a week. I am currently not allowing them to breed till I figure out what this is. Has anyone heard of this?
    I purchased a finch from the pet shop that had this problem. I noticed it a day or so after and took it back to the pet shop. They refunded my money.
    Everything has been fine since this happened over a year ago. Recently a batch of chicks were hatched with those awful sacs of yellow bumps and they parents tossed them out of the nest and i found all of them dead on the bottom of the cage. A few days later, one of my adult cinnamin finches is missing a lot of feathers and has the beginnings of it so I have separated him into a smaller cage on his own.
    I keep the cage clean, they have a good diet etc so I really don't know what is causing this.
    I've heard some people say it's normal, but I've seen other baby finches and they do not have those yellow sacs at all.
    Did you get to the bottom of it?
    I'd like to know. I've given my male finch antibiotics. If you found out from a vet, can you tell me what it is and how to treat it?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kie
    Thanks

I purchased a finch from the pet shop that had this problem. I noticed it a day or so after and took it back to the pet shop. They refunded my money.
    Everything has been fine since this happened over a year ago. Recently a batch of chicks were hatched with those awful sacs of yellow bumps and they parents tossed them out of the nest and i found all of them dead on the bottom of the cage. A few days later, one of my adult cinnamin finches is missing a lot of feathers and has the beginnings of it so I have separated him into a smaller cage on his own.
    I keep the cage clean, they have a good diet etc so I really don't know what is causing this.
    I've heard some people say it's normal, but I've seen other baby finches and they do not have those yellow sacs at all.
    Did you get to the bottom of it?
    I'd like to know. I've given my male finch antibiotics. If you found out from a vet, can you tell me what it is and how to treat it?
    Cazza your birds are ok. This is normal. The sacs are called "crops" they work like chipmunk cheeks.
    The yellow bumps inside are seeds the parent birds fed them. If they tossed them out of the nest (a common thing for Zebra finches) they might be saying:
    1.) there's something wrong with this batch-virus-deformity-abnormality, or
    2.) as the case with my Zebras, They are bored and no longer wish to have this responsibility at this point in their lives.

In the case of #1: you could try handfeeding and if they die you'll know you tried.

In the case of #2: do what I did and get 1-2 Society finches aka Nanny-birds.

-I originally had a society with my zebras and got him another society as a friend.
    Society finches are known to adopt abandoned eggs and chicks and care for them as their own. be aware, if they hatch an egg weeks before the others it will become to large to keep with the later hatchlings and will accidentally push the new younger siblings out of the nest. the only way to save these new babies is to remove the older one from the nest and begin Handfeeding, leaving the older chick in his own setup incubator tank- (requiring: 1glass, or flat topped cage, 1 heating light w/an inferred 50watt will work. handfeeding formula you can pick up from any pet supply store<I got mine at petsmart>, a small needle-less syringe or toothpicks cut to a blunt round edge<do not leave it sharp>, always use warm water. Remember not to overfeed the chicks if your handfeeding, you'll know their done when they start to fall sleep.)

But back to the point...
    Your birds are ok. this is not an illness, there is no cure, there is no infection. The food inside the crop dissolves slowly into the stomach and when it's gone that means someone, be it you or the birds, needs to feed it fast. My nanny-birds keep my hatchling's crops well stocked and the older they get the more they eat in a serving and the longer you can go between feedings.

-Dragon
    Last edited by Dragonziegen; 03-29-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kie
    Thanks

Talking Re: My Zebra finches have gross illness.