Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Christine
    Thanks

Speaking the lovebird language.

My husband and I have found a sound that makes our bird want to be with us. It is rather odd we mimiced something she did and all of the sudden she is in awe of us. The sound is something like a cat purr mixed with a sound of air squeezing between the tongue. I made this sound this morning and she ran to me and stared at me and puffed up. If I make this sound now she gets on my arm right away and stares at me like she can't believe her ears. She has been on me a lot of the day. Just kind of walking around on me bellow shoulder level. Walking on my legs stomach and chest while I am watching tv. Anyone who has been reading my posts knows this is unheard of. Today though when I was on the phone she gave me a pinch of a bite on my hand that was holding the phone. That upset me because I can't understand why she would do that. She was biting a blanket on my lap like crazy today. Does anyone know what this behavior is? I hope she isn't trying to nest or anything. She usually does little nibbles on my shirt kinda like preening. But this was aggressive biting and pulling on the blanket. OH and for that bite she was put in the cage for 5 min and I told her NO NO biting! When she came back out is when she was attacking the blanket. OF course my dog was under the blanket on my lap. Maybe she was trying to bite the dog?
    Last edited by spirit001; 01-11-2006 at 03:07 PM.

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Speaking the lovebird language.

Eggo LOVES that noise!! It's more like a whistle though to me but still the sound of air between the tongue. Maybe not the same as yours but Eggo will puff up and get close to me when I make it. Odd.
    Female Grey/Pied
    ~*~Visit my Budgie Website, although I do not have my babies anymore~*~

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

It is sweet that she loves that sound that you make.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

the biting sounds to me like jealousy. Either at the dog or at the phone. Either way, you weren't paying Her attention. I agree, though, No Biting is the rule and regardless of how upset she is about sharing you, it must be enforced.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I think Melly is just becoming that little bird you always wanted, turning into a typical like poop head like lots of lovebirds I know... Melly sounds just too much like my boomer butt!!! Boomer will run up your chest and cock his head when we make weird mouth noises, sometimes he gets so excited he wingwags and flattens out the top of his head and then shakes it around, this is what he does when he likes something, We call him flathead:-) Boomer hates the phone as well he runs at it like it is the enemy biting at it like a crazy bird. Since I work from home and cannot have a crazed bird making odd sounds and mauling the phone while I talk to customers, boomer has to go in his cage before I make calls. Something about the phone he hates, maybe Melly hates what ever boomer hates about it as well. Boomer will bite me when I am talking on it but I think it is becuase he cannot bite the hard phone and his aggression gets the best of him. He also loves to chew on cloth things, towels being his favorite. At first I thought he was going to do his "rub-rub" mating thing on the towels becuase he would bite and move it all around with his beak and feet but he dont, he just must love the feel of cloth in his mouth. You should see our shirt's if we dont catch him in time, he will bite holes all over the shoulders, collars and hems. Other then paper, he seems to love cloth 2nd best. Sounds like to me Melly is just being the typical crazy lovebird, they are so buggy sometimes but then when you get mad at them and they give you that cute little look they do so well, it just melts your heart.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Lovebirds seem to have their own language. All of mine have specific calls/sounds they make for certain things. I've learned to mimic them (ha! the birds are teaching me to speak thier language!)
    Sounds like to me Melly is just being the typical crazy lovebird, they are so buggy sometimes but then when you get mad at them and they give you that cute little look they do so well, it just melts your heart.
    I couldn't agree more!!

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Rockers hates the phone too! She gets so mad when I am talking on it she charges it and tries to beat it up. Bloody love birds are mad i tell you, MAD! (and they make the people they own a wee bit crazy with them)

Name
    Christine
    Thanks

Awwww, thanks so much for sharing. It is really nice to read everyones comments. So funny Melly was on me most of the day today that is so new. She becomes a grouch bird though around 4 pm. I don't know what it is about that time of day but from then until bed time she won't be bothered with anything including treats. I am so glad she is finally acting like a happy bird. Again thanks for all your support.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am happy to hear I am not the only one with a lovebird that is a crazy devil bird just maybe a bit too much sometimes. Mary Jo. you got that right when you said "the people they own", my lovebird definitly owns me!! and yeah we are just a bit crazy living with them:-)

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Hmmm...I'll have to see how my lovebirds react to a phone. I can say that Nibbles (the mom bird) has been known to attack a vacuum cleaner! What is so odd is that one moment she cuddles and the next she'll lunge! Strange little creatures.

Name
    Josh
    Thanks

Mine do a strange clicking noise when they are irritated or scared. I haven't decided which it is - but it's definitely one of those two.

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Usually when the are angry or feeling bossy, the will cock their head up, puff their chest and flap their wings along with that sound. They will also make the sound when they are 'in danger', and wait for another lovebird to answer-- they call back and forth with that sound, usually followed by a kind of longer squeal- to say 'we're all here and okay".

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

I don't have lovebirds, but mine become grouchy around that time too (the tiels for sure) and they want their dinner, right now, thank you very much! After dinner, they're not quite as grouchy but still very beaky and only want to start settling down for night-night time.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Pam
    Thanks

Usually when the are angry or feeling bossy, the will cock their head up, puff their chest and flap their wings along with that sound.
    LOL I call this one the wing pump, it looks like they're pumping out that squeek that goes with it. Yep tinker does that when he's annoyed and wants me to know it.

Bloody love birds are mad i tell you, MAD! (and they make the people they own a wee bit crazy with them)
    I cracked up when I read that ^ How true!

The lovey sounds are so funny. Have you heard the donald duck growl yet? That one make my kids laugh histerically. Sounds like donald duck trying to growl. And a pretty new one here is the squeaky toy sound, which tinker does when I cover him for the night. I think he is just putting in his final protest for the day and saying good night. Lots of clickity click sounds too. My lovebird has come up with some perfect mimics for some sounds he hears around the house. The squeaky cupboard and fridge doors... he has them down perfect. Another funny one.. is the sound of me swallowing . He sits on my shoulder when I drink my morning coffee and every time I take a drink he *swallows* LOL I guess he's right there to get a good listen of a swallow.

Oh and yes my lovebird HATES the phone too. I think it's because I'm talking and not paying him any attention. When I'm talking to someone else in the room he seems to understand but phone thing drives him nuts!

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I have heard the Donald Duck sound, not often but when ever he does it we just crack up with laughter becuase you wouldnt think a lovebird would be able to make that sound. Karen, you lovie is a loonie attacking the vacuum, boomer will sit there and mumble and act like he is going to talk when I run mine, he likes the noise it makes. I bet is so funny to see a lovebird attacking a vacuum. What is it about these little birds that make them so fearless and crazy?

My birds own me! Brand New Egg PurpleRain's Avatar
    Name
    Dazzlin Lovebirds
    Thanks

Today though when I was on the phone she gave me a pinch of a bite on my hand that was holding the phone
    My ChaCha hates phones with a passion, but yet she mimics the sound when you are pressing the buttons lol. She also doesnt like the remote controls, I have to turn them over or she will attack each one of them.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

the buttons on our remote are all half gone... this is from when we forgot to turn it upside down. You just got to love these birds of ours dont you.

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

OMG I forgot about the remote! We haven't let her take any buttons but I really don't get the fascination she has with it.

Rockers makes the cutest sounds, my favorite is when she is all excited and makes this puppy dog wimper, usually when she really, REALLY wants a scratch or to be let out. She also does this fast clicking noise when she comes for a cuddle it's not like the angry click but a sucsession of tiny little ones, mixed with a couple beeps. She also loves it when I give loud, long kisses, and squawks after as if to say, "comondoitagain!"

Name
    Christine
    Thanks

I had once found a page that had interpretation of lovebird sounds and what they meant. When Melly is lonely or wants to come out of the cage she says Wheeewww Wheewww. IT is really slow and sad sounding. She also does that head pump thing and wing flap. I love when she makes the little under her breath baby sounds. I don't like when she squawks and then charges at me with her neck streched up and her feathers pulled down tightly. Today she was streching her neck like plastic woman to see my son playing with a ball. She wanted to play. So with my legs over the arm of the couch with my knees up higher than my hips I put the ball on my knees. Melly pushed on the ball with her beak and made it roll down my legs. This is her first interactive play with me and her first trick to make a ball roll. We also figured out that if I have my kids smack her toy around while I hold it dangling she will then feel it is an ok toy to play with. HAHA! If we eat it she will eat it if we play with it she will play with it. She also mimics a clicking sound we make with our tongues. IT was funny when she first started doing it because she did it really slowly as if it was really hard for her. She also mimics a kissing sound we make. I use the same sound to call my dog. So she is doing it all the time now. I have her doing the the whistle people do when they think someone looks hot. Whee wheewww! She will do it sometimes. Sometimes she also whistles wheeww wheet as if she is calling us to come over or pay attention. WHo knows lovebirds can talk and if she is mimicing this much maybe she will be a talker she is only a year old now. But I am not counting on it. Besides I am not sure I would want one that talks my friends bird called me a dirty name

My birds own me! Brand New Egg PurpleRain's Avatar
    Name
    Dazzlin Lovebirds
    Thanks

Has anyone ever had their bird argue with you? lol If my ChaCha gets nippy because she cant get her way, I will tell her no and that shes not supposed to do that. Then its followed with her saying her name a few times then all these different sounds like shes telling me off lol. Then as long as I'm telling her what shes doing wrong or to stop arguing with me she will continue to do it. Its very funny.
    11 lovebirds 2 ringnecks

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Has anyone ever had their bird argue with you?[
    Ha ha yeah all the time! How dare I not let her take flying leaps into my pasta, (which she did just last week) because she makes the desisions around here,(and it was hot, she burnt her toes, not seriously though just enough to make her yelp)and I better not forget that.

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

I love this discussion! My lovie is a riot too...she definitely thinks that she is boss! She has taken off the TiVo button on our remote control. She actually "shelled" the plastic part and sank her beak into the middle. Now it is half-gone! Then we took her to my parents house and the first thing she did was seek out their TiVo remote and pull off the plastic piece and go after the TiVo button. Luckily we caught her in time and we only lost the plastic piece...jeez!

Anyhow, Tini is definitely a communicator...she ALWAYS has something to say. When I come to get her, she will look at me and say "Step -Up" and I will say "yes, step-up Tini" and she will look at me, then my finger, then back into my eyes and say "Step-up"...with the attiude, that indicates she already said this and why am I bothering her! One time I was changing her food and she flew onto her dish causing it to crash out of my hand onto the floor and therby spilling her food all over...she then flew down to the floor looks around at the mess, then looks up at me and says "Good job!" and I swear it had such attitude behind it!! She now also says "Stop" because I say that to be her and the dog. She also make all sort of mimicing noises - kisses, clucking, pretty much any noise I can make with my mouth, she repeats. She also randomly picked up on the sound a nail clipper makes when you clip a nail.

I can't tell if she hates or loves the phone however. Whenever I am on it she comes right up to the mouthpiece and tweets right into it. I always feel like she is just trying to talk too. Like every conversation in the world should involve her. We only have cordless phones in the house, so whenever we go to my parents she LOVES the corded phone and when someone is on it she MUST be allowed to explore the cord.

Tini also does several whistles, including the wolf whistle and a bunch of ones we made up just for her. Now she calls the dog just to entertain herself. I also SWEAR she imitates a laugh that I have...but I can't be sure. All I know is that she entertains me and makes me laugh every day! I can't wait to get home to spend time with her. Just wanted to share

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Boomer dont talk about it when he is mad, he shows you he is mad by fluffing up his body to "go big" and then kind of hissing at us with his mouth open, like we should be sooo afraid of this big bird... Ha ha... really we just go off laughing at him. I wished he would talk but instead he just makes noises.

Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I have heard the Donald Duck sound
    My lovebirds will make that sound if I go into their room when they are 'sleeping'-- like it is a warning to back off and leave them alone. It is so funny! That sound coming from underneath their papers (where they sleep- they love to snuggle in the papers)
    I am happy to hear I am not the only one with a lovebird that is a crazy devil bird
    Is there any other kind of lovebird?
    Pam- the first time Nibbles attacked the vacuum cleaner, I was flabbergasted! I know they back down to nothing-- but that is just ridiculous! She's mellowed over the years, but for some reason loves to grab a hold of my husbands ear and yank hard! The only way he can get her to stop is to sing to her. It is a very funny sight.