where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charlie says hello

Name
    Roger
    Thanks

Charlie says hello

Hey guys, say hello to Charlie, the newest member of our winged family.

He came home with me today. Very horrible history. Owned by an elderly man who kinda snapped after his wife died and started hoarding birds. He had 56 birds (mostly finches and canaries), including Charlie, in one room. FILTH doesn't come close to the conditions the birds were living in. Charlie had plucked himself naked everywhere except his head and part of his wings He is doing MUCH better now as you can see, almost fully feathered. Absolute sweetheart. Loves attention, doesn't seem to mind who is playing with him just as long as he gets attention. He is also starting to fill out now that he is on a good diet. He is very small for a CAG though, and I believe he will always be very small. To give you an idea, he was housed next to a TAG at the rescue. The TAG is bigger.

Anyways, thought I would introduce Charlie.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Re: Charlie says hello

He looks great! It seems as though he is "heavy" on the shoulders but on closer inspection, it's because he is fully feathered up at the top and not so much by his legs. Hehehe... a top heavy boy. And his eyes are beautiful! That may not mean anything to a lot of people but some greys have really "pinning" eyes and he has nice almond shaped, sweet eyes.

Do you know how old he is? I don't know if that's a closed band or open band on his leg...

And I wonder what motivates someone to hoard? There was a lady in my neighborhood who lives in a condominium (so houses attached on either side of her) with:
    - ringtailed lemurs (illegal!)
    - fennec foxes (illegal!)
    - prairie dogs (illegal!)
    - snakes (some illegal)
    - guinea pigs
    - rabbits
    - birds
    - and many many more.

I don't know if the individual you dealt with had cages for his birds but this lady just let all the wild animals run free in her tiny condo and the small animals in shallow tupperware containers. Some were dead because of the humidity. Sigh... Eventually people smelled her house and called the police thinking a person had died when in fact in was wastes smelling in the humid hot air. YUK YUK YUK!!

I hope he continues to be successful in his recovery. He's with a great person.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Banned Tailfeather
    Name
    www.grendelmonster.com
    Thanks

What a handsome fellow! I always love when people adopt and not buy!

Name
    Roger
    Thanks

This guy had cages, but he might as well not have. When the trays were full, he simply pulled them out, and stacked them against a wall. From that point on, which could have been over a year according to his daughter, everything just piled up on the floor under the cages. Underfed, Underwatered, not near enough light, and a cage that was way too small. I'm surprised he lived through his ordeal. I have to say, he seems to have come out of it a lot better off than I would have thought. He is 6 yrs old, btw. Hopefully, the next 6 years will find him in a much better state of affairs then the last six did. Barring any unforseen tragedies he has his forever home now.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

so Roger, have the other guys had a chance to meet or atleast hear the newest resident? it really strange, because we have been looking at a Grey and a Cockatiel at a rescue. where did he come from, what rescue do you deal with is what I mean,

good looking bird tho. he's gonna fatten up and get spoiled too!

Linda
    Jasper 1.5yrs (B&G)
    Miss Peaches 4yrs (M2)
    Sylvester 2.5yrs (JC)
    Snak 2yrs (FLB)
    Sopfie 8yrs (U2)

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Charlie looks absolutely adorable. Glad you are the owner now for the rest of his life!

Bird kisses are the best. Fledgeling CritterLover's Avatar
    Name
    Melanie
    Thanks

Awww, I'm very happy for Charlie. He has such a sweet face - it's like he's feeling "I just won the lottery!!" Best to you and Charlie!
    My Crew
    In loving memory of Ping, Pong and my Little Green Bean. You're sadly missed.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

bless you roger! i am always glad to hear about experienced sympathetic people taking in birds in need. charlie sounds wonderful. may you both enjoy each other for many years to come!

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

Charlie looks like a cute character! It is such a shame to hear about his bad start in life. He looks so much better now compared to what you describe. I am so pleased that he has a permanent home with you.

Egg's Cracking... parrotly wild's Avatar
    Name
    Kim Lance
    Thanks

He has more feathers than Hailey has. We have had her now 11 months. Sure is a pretty boy. Good luck.

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Oh wow, poor Charlie! I feel bad for all those birds! Do you know what happened to any of the other ones?

I'm so glad that he's in a better home now! Roger, you're a wonderful person! ^_^ And I'm sure Charlie is already a much happier bird, being with you. How's his behavior? Is he scared of people? Keep us updated on his progress, okay? ^_^

Oh, and congratulations on your new addition!

Name
    Roger
    Thanks

Charlie's actually a ham. He loves to "nibble" on fingers and hands and clothes, anything that interests him. He doesn't bite, just play. He was at the shelter where I volunteer for about 6 months. He bonded closely with me during that time and Gerda, who runs the shelter, felt he was ready to come home. He has already gotten reacquainted with Tango and Sydney, as I feel safe that he isn't harboring any bad little critters in or on him (He was vet checked frequently and had a complete blood workup twice in that six months to monitor his health progress.) He and Tango and Sydney were actually room mates at the shelter so they all know each other already. Other than the feather plucking you wouldn't know he was a mistreated fella. He has a warm disposition and is friendly with everyone.

Linda, I will answer your question in a pm. Gerda is very protective of the animals, of which parrots are only a small part, that she cares for and I would like her persmission to let you guys know about her before I post it on a public forum. I will say that I have volunteered for a few different rescues/shelters over the years and can say that all of them should be run the way hers is run. I think she's an angel on earth.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

WELCOME CHARLIE!

And thanks for giving him a home. I love people who take in rescue birds!!!!

And my, oh my. He sounds wonderful--what a come back for being so neglected. That picture is so full of personality!

Name
    Roger
    Thanks

Second day at home update. Charlie had the kids running around the house going nuts trying to figure out which fire alarm was beeping earlier today. Lil turkey mimics then so well you would swear ones going off in the house, haha.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

he has his forever home now.
    Good for Charlie, and best of luck to you. I am so glad he is in good hands and in a loving, caring home.
    And he even knows his roommates! That is too funny about the fire alarm!!!!

Remove Ads