where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Stopping night fright?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

Stopping night fright?

Hey, I seem to be having with night fright still. Does anyone have any tips on how to stop it??
    I have a night light for the birds and I also keep the cage cover off at night. But Sunshine still seems to flip out a lot.
    Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Kristin

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Re: Stopping night fright?

leave the radio on. Dont cover all of the cage leave a gap so she can see whats goin on.
    Move the cage closer to light ?
    move cage somewhere else ?

thats all i can think off good luck

Name
    Clayton
    Thanks

Is the bird near a window or something? Sometimes headlights from a car shining through a window can startle a bird and cause a night fright.

nocturne716

Bigger cage maybe?

If it's a problem with her hurting herself because she bangs into stuff during the night frights, maybe a bigger cage would help?

Also, is she by herself in the cage? Maybe one of those bird buddies (furry things) would help because they supposedly keep birds company?

HTH.

Thanks

Re: Bigger cage maybe?

Sometimes covering your cage can be your biggest problem. Some birds prefer it, some don't. It can even make the problem worse. Try leaving the cover completley off, or as suggested above, leaving it half off.
    At night, it would probably be a good idea to even remove some toys to make sure that if she does have a nightfright, there's less chance for her to hit something and break a bloodfeather.
    Avoid walking in the same room she is in, to avoid casting shadows over the cage. If you have a family pet (cat or dog) ensure that they cannot get into the room of your birds cage, at night.
    And remember to keep a safety kit, containing things you may need if you ever have to remove a broken blood feather from your bird.
    Good luck, keep us posted.

lindamoore8

Hi There ;
    If you have mice to they love to get to the food ..
    That well make them fright ....

Terrible Step-Mother,,,

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I really appreciate it. I'm desperate to try anything. I've almost lost Sunshine twice due to nightfright. He bangs around and breaks a blood feather and the last time he did it he got his wing caught in the bars and sprained it. It bled for awhile before I could finally get it stopped (even with cornstarch!!). Then I noticed he wasn't acting right 2 days later (not singing, not eating, sitting around) so I took him to the vet and she gave him pain medicine. He's doing a LOT better!! Poor lil guy.
    So I have now designated the smaller of my two cages to a night cage. I've removed all the perches and toys except for one perch that's about an inch off the cage floor.
    Hopefully these suggestions will help. Thanks again!
    Kristin

Thanks

Hi Kristen,

Sorry to hear about your troubles with your baby!! Does Sunshine live as a single bird, or does he have more birds in their with him? Good job at taking him to the vet...if cornstarch didn't work for you, there is also a substance made especially for that called "kwikstop", which is basically a substance that plugs up broken blood feathers. You may want to get some, just in case.
    As well, I just noticed that you mentioned you are using the smaller of the two cages for a night cage? I'm not sure how small that cage is, (or if there is a big difference between the two of them) but it may be better to use the largest cage you have for the night cage. The more room he has to flap around in case of a nightfright, the better. Smaller cages---higher chances of hitting the sides of the cage--or as you mentioned already happened, catching a wing on the bars. Also, when you say "night cage" are you switching him from cage to cage, depending on night and day?
    This may not be a great idea, as you are constantly changing his territory--which can be stressful and nervewracking for him in itself. I suggest choosing on cage, and keeping him in it, if that is possible.
    And remember, you should only need to remove the perches and toys before you put him to bed. That way he'll have all his toys with him to play with during the day.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Kristin
    Thanks

Hey, I have two birds - Mango is Sunshine's father.(Both boys.) And the cage isn't that small, it's like 20x20xsomething. I hesitate to use the bigger for the night cage because the bars are farther apart (3/4 in.) and my birds are clumsier on them because this cage is newer.
    I keep both their cages side by side in my room so it's really no shock to them - I usually have the cages joined together so they can go back and forth between the two. They seem to enjoy that to get away from each other when need be. (They hate it when they're separated and also hate it when they're stuck together all the time.) lol
    Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!!!

Kristin

Remove Ads