Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New Baby Parakeet! Hlp with Quarentine please!?

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

Exclamation New Baby Parakeet! Hlp with Quarentine please!?

Okay okay I know my spelling sucks but heres the scoop..

You all know I lost my little Vroni awhile back and was heart broken. So was my husband... Now a friend offered to get me a Tiel. Rikku, and shes turned out to be a sweet heart. Today, while going through the pet store with the poor peach face I posted in an another thread (Peach Face is missing.. now.. >__> *sweatdrop*) My husband stopped to peek at the budgies.. I had to TELL the petstore workers to FEED the budgies.... *grrr* and while we were looking, my husband saw one he liked.

He/she was pied blue and white. Dirty little non verbal budgie he seemed to have a liking for. So we took him/her home. I got old the old clean cage and something needed that Vroni and Rikku had and nevered used. We have food (50/50 seed/ rowdybush pellets) budgie boing with toys, swing, cuddlebone, newpaper down for the poop. Wings clipped, bird checked out. However I've nenver heard the bird speak up not once when caught by sore worker. >_> She is put on the other side of the room AWAY from
    Rikku.. Is it a month that they stay quarentined? I did get hand sanitizer so everytime we rotate attention we are required to sanitze hands. *nodnodnod*

Is there a vitemin anybody can sudjest incase she needs something? Is is natural for her to be SILENT? I mean even Rikku spoke at first....Am I doing things right? I CAN get a picture... if aybody is online and wants to pm me via: AIM or Msn or something that would be great. Since she/ he is very dirty, how long do I wait for till I bathe her? I dont want to put her in shock...

---

Name
    Carrie
    Thanks

Re: New Baby Parakeet! Hlp with Quarentine please!?

I don't know how long you should wait to bath her. Make sure you do it in the morning hours so she has plenty of time to dry. Is she eatting ok? I just got through having to handfeed one because she was pulled too soon and was starving and not eatting seed.

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

How do you know if she /he is too young? I've not seen her eat yet.. I've seen her eat at he place where she/he was.

---

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

Bumping this thread cause the little one has not made a sound yet...

---

My lovely ones are free! Hatching
    Name
    Deb
    Thanks

Have you taken her to the vet yet to be looked over? That should be the first thing you should do, just to make sure there isn't anything obviously wrong with her. She's might be lonely and a bit in shock since she was moved today. Just make sure she has plenty of food and fresh water and you might give her a millet spray to get her to eat something, anything

But I would definately take her to the vet to make sure that she checks out okay. Then you could also talk the them about quarentine.

Deb

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

Well the vet I have is really good but she's not a certified Avain vet. I dont know of any around here. The nearest one is in Lake Osewgo... 30 minuttes and I dont kno the price the person charges...

Day 2

still no sound but she lets us hold her, if a her at all.. I've got to wait a week or so to bathe her cause I dont want to stress her out so badly... I have been misting her a bit. She NEEDS a bath.. or a god shower.

---

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

budgies can take a couple of weeks to actually start making noise. It really depends on how comfortable they feel. She may hear your tiel making noises and this may get her talking/chirping sooner. Just be patient and give her some time

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

My lovely ones are free! Hatching
    Name
    Deb
    Thanks

Yes, patience is always the key. As long as she eats and plays a bit and doesn't show any other signs of illness, she's probably just trying to get used to her surroundings.

I know my new baby Sunny that I just got seemed very timid and shy at first, that was just before Christmas that I got her. But she's much more comfortable now and sings and plays and fights with the other three now She still keeps her distance a bit, but she'll be okay.

If your other vet (non avian) sees your other birds it might not hurt to have them check her out to make sure she doesn't have anything respitory going on I'm just a worry wart so, you can take it for what it's worth LOL!!
    Last edited by ladyelf; 01-27-2006 at 08:13 PM. Reason: To check my horrible spelling LOL!!

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AngelVroni
    Okay okay I know my spelling sucks but heres the scoop..
    Try using your spell check and see if that helps...

Name
    Melody
    Thanks

what do u mean...by ur peachface is missing??

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

blegh..

It wasn't my peach face. I was referring to a bird at the store that was in horrid condition they were selling for $60. It looked to have a really badly torn ceres or tumors.... The beak ws a disaster.... So I was worried and looking for a new home for it...

Yeah its been awhile since I had a budgie, just never knew they could be this dosile and such. I've heard her chirp about 3 times. Its very rare though. She doesnt seem to be eating or wanting to play at all. She doesnt even explore the cage... Vroni my last budgie explored and such right off the bat... Yeah, we'll give her sometime to settle, with the wind storm going on here, I dont know if it'll push it back or not...

---

Name
    Victoria E.A
    Thanks

Update on he little budgie.

Recently we take her out nd work on step ups. I've heard her chirp and suuk rarely. Though today I heard Rikku calling out like usual and went to go see if maybe she flew somewhere and got stuck. No. She was talking to the budgie. Who in turn was talking back. So I held Rikku and walked her over. They talked for a minute or two before I seperatated them. The little one doest seem to be eating anything though. Theres no husk or anything indicating that shes even eaten the millet piece in there...

---

Name
    Carrie
    Thanks

Put some food on the ground and take her out and feel her breast bone to see if she is too skinny. I got my little parakeet and she wasn't eatting at all and starving. She was taken from her parents before she was weaned and I had to hand feed her till she got the hang of feeding herself enough.