Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Evening fun...

- Fledgeling
    Thanks

Evening fun...

So, Rich, Bill and I are sitting upstairs when I smell burning something. Rich who has no working nose is not really concerned, I on the other hand, quickly pin-point the smell to the atic, can't see fire but smell it- don't doddle call 911. My emergency procedure consisted of the following: get the bird in the carrier and by the door, get cats- dog follows me. Cats have emergency cat carriers in the location I know and can get to easy. When i get there- tone carrier is missing- my mother forgot to take back the carrier when she loaned it... ok. Get one cat- pizza didn't fight catching procedure but refused to go in the carrier... ok shove the cat and get the other one. Tig doesn't like to be cought, I know that no matter how much I call him he want come so I have to catch him. Ok, I start but he keeps running since our house has multiple non-closable doors... Richard is no help and just doddles. Ok I get the cat and also isolate him in the same spot as Bill and Pizza. Got the safe to get important documents- passports. My mom isncists on emting entire safe - CDs and other junk. I get lap top, camera, wedding rings, pets and passports. Meanwhile I lose my car keys and fireman arrive within 6 minutes. 3 trucks... dozen if not more firemen (no firewmen)... Anyway, now we have no heat or water, they shhut down our gas by firemarshal order till a certified technican looks at it... it's our heater or something... fun, emergency procedure needs to be worked out though, becuase I am overly crazy according to Rich, while he does not get aggitated what's so ever... Though he doesn't discount my opinion, he doesn't really help much in potential bad situation...
    Sorry for rambling... I already took a pepcid so now I am just venting...

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: Evening fun...

wow how scary!! I am a worry wart about those things...I always fancy something is burning when I catch a whiff of something wierd or think there is a creepy man outside when the house settles at night Better to be safe than sorry!!! What's the weather like there? Now that you have no heat....do you think the animals (you and your hubby too of course) will be okay for awhile with no heat? I have no idea what the weather is like in Philly...

Hoping everything is a-ok overe there!

- Fledgeling
    Thanks

Our heat technician just left. We have 5 heat lines in the house and one has a pump for whatever reason... that pump when bad and burned oil and crap... So, he turned our heat back on except my parent's bedroom- my mom is going to get cold (father is on the business trip in Egypt). What I like about our heat person- he came right away, didn't complained about it being late and didn't charge emergency fees or anything for that matter- just when he fixes it, either tomorrow or the next day depending on when he can get the pump.
    Weather here is wet and in the low 30's at night... it's really nasty because of the moisture.
    As to scary things- since our house burned to the ground in 2002 you can imagine...
    I don't fear scarry men as much as fires... Scary men- I guess I grew up shooting cans from 100 feet, and have shut at my neighbors in Oklahoma (kids steeling gasoline for their dirt bikes), and now I am still under the illusion that I can protect my house... I do keep sharp and heavy things by my bed... When we had Sean- i was safe because he picked on the slightest noise, Willy is to young right now- he doesn't here anything if he's asleep...

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

how scary, Alena! I know about that smelling fire thing. I woke to the smell of smoke as a child and kept our house from buring down (livingroom got burned some but we were all okay)

I'm afraid of fires too.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

since our house burned to the ground in 2002 you can imagine...
    Alena, that is so awful to have to experience something like that again! I remember reading your posts about the first fire, and all that you lost. Just terrible!

Even though everything was saved this time, it is still very scary.
    It is good that you had a plan and were able to carry it through, but I wish for your sake and your animals, that Richard would have taken it more seriously and helped you get them all out safely. I just realized with that kind of situation and all the commotion, how difficult it must have you to have to do all this alone. You are one strong lady!

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

YIKES! I'm glad your house, all the possessions and most importantly the people and pets are safe. I hope that Richard can see how much this scares yo and next time help out. It's definitely no good to do it alone whether you are more nervous than most. You do have a right to be...

Hope the heat gets turned on soon and everything is okay.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Wow, glad things turned out for the better. Not something to want to go through though.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Alena, I am happy this smoke did not turn into anything bad. I am a freak when it comes to smoke and fire as well. There is nothing so scary as fire, we had a forest fire burning below us for 5 days last year and I think it almost made me lose my mind. They wanted us to leave but we stayed becuase we were afraid the burning embers falling down out of the sky would burn our house before they even knew it was on fire. We were saved and no houses up here burned but it now made me aware of just how fast a fire can come up and to ALWAYS be prepared for a fire. We have a crate full of our important stuff that we call our fire box and if a fire comes we just grab the box and the bird and the RUN!!! Always be prepared for fires, gosh Alena, I am sure you were so scared when you smelled the smoke, especially with what happened to you not to long ago.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

holy cats! thank goodness you were on top of things! i hope you all are OK. tell richard he need to go get some red cross training as penance for his dawdling ro something!