Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Crows...as pets?

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Crows...as pets?

I have seen several movies and TV shows where I have seen crows being kept as pets. I live in the city and I see them all the time and I know they are smart little buggers...(actually theyre not little, they are almost Turkey sized around here, lol) I was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of keeping a crow as a pet and what kind of pet they would make. Just curious....

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Re: Crows...as pets?

Hmmm... I don't know about keeping one as a pet in the city. There are probably bylaws against that. But if you live where you have the space for a large aviary type cage, it might be okay. I worked with two African Pied Crows and they were very gentle and hilarious. They could step up and be on your hand no problem. Training was very easy but they are omnivores so you would have to provide them with raw meats. They are SOOOOOOO smart! We think parrots are smart but these guys are smarter I think! Caging a crow includes padlocking because standard clips and things will not work. They will let themselves out with ease and laugh at you along the way!

As a pet, they would probably be good if you knew plenty about them beforehand like any pet. They are not loud, cawing very infrequently. A lot of people don't know this but crows can learn to talk as well. They are just major closet talkers and they talk under their breath very quietly. They are very playful and love to pick things up with their beaks (they don't use their feet like a parrot does). Ours both knew how to "play" the triangle by picking up the metal rod and dinging the triangle hung from the top of the cage. They also knew when we asked to "play the maracas" to go pick it up and shake them. I doubt that cliping them would be a good thing; like canaries and finches, I think their livelihood is with their wings.

I hope that gives you a bit more into their personality!

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

...Over the rainbow Growing... Kalvin's Avatar
    Name
    Kalvin
    Thanks

Most of the corvids make good pets, they're friendly and can learn to talk although they may not appreciate being stroked like a parrot would. I'm not sure what the laws are like these days for actually keeping them though.

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

There are SO MANY crows around the area where I work, and they are totally MASSIVE!! They are definitely smart. I watch them all the time cleverly trying to open things for food, and interacting with each other. There was once a flock of crows in one tree, and a flock of Indian Ringnecks in another, and all the crows were looking at the ringnecks and shrieking at them "cawww cawww cawww", and none of the parakeets took a blind bit of notice! I wonder what the crows were saying to the parakeets?

I think they would make interesting pets, but I have no idea on the laws. I don't think that in the UK it is legal to keep wild birds as pets, but I don't know about anywhere else.

Hey - that makes me think. Now that ringneck parakeets are an established wild species, I wonder if that will affect the laws on keeping them? People might just go out and raid their nests!

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Michelle, most states have laws against keeping crows as 'pets'. You can check with your local DNR (Department of Natural Resources) or your Humane Society.

They are very smart, but do not make good pets as they need a varied diet, lots of room, and can be loud. We have one at the humane society that I work at. It was brought in by a family that no longer wanted it, because it would get very loud and demanding if not paid attention to. It is now a permanent resident because it can not be released back to the 'wild'.

There are so many birds that do make good animal companions, and are waiting for a home- check bird rehab's in your area- that to take a crow from the wild and keep them in a home does not seem a wise choice, at least in my opinion.

Karen

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

oh no no no...I am not interested in keeping one as a pet myself! Lol...I dont think I could have the heart to anyways, I hate seeing it when people make pets of racoons and possums and things that belong in the wild...I was just curious to know if this was just a TV fabrication or if crows are actually kept as pets. I thought it would be an interesting topic.

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

I don't know about crows...but a friend of my mothers had a pet Raven (which is in the same genus, and is pretty much a larger crow, they have a heavier beak and deeper call) and he was SO smart. I don't think it was legal at the time, but we lived in a very small town of about 2000 and she found him as an injured baby.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I am not interested in keeping one as a pet myself!
    That's good. I'm sorry-- I misunderstood.

Remove Ads