Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Caiques...?

Name
    Sasha
    Thanks

Question Caiques...?

Anyone have experience with Caiques...? I'm kinda getting a soft spot for this black-capped caique up for adoption at the aviary where I volunteer, but I've heard they don't get along well with other species, and I've already got a cockatiel and have been looking for a maximillion pionus for some time now.

I've got no certainty that I want to get this bird or not; buut yeah. A couple of guys tried to steal him the other day, so now he's scared of strangers and guys in particular, but seems more fond of me than ever. But... yeah.. if I can't track down a maximillion pionus.. I may just try and get him.

Soo.. what can yall tell me about this species? Mostly, what I'm curious about is the thing about them apparently not getting along with other birds. The person who told me this said something along the lines of 'they think they're little sherman tanks', heh.

UTSA Roadrunners '11 Fledgeling miss_emily07's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Re: Caiques...?

OOO I have a friend with a Max. Pionus. the cashier at the store tried to buy from her but I told her I wouldn't let her sell it to that lady who asked if she was handfeeding the bird.....at the age of 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She might sell him to you bc she doesn't have as much as time as she would like to have. And she lives in Cedar Park, TX which is north austin! I could find out from her if she will sell him or w/e
    Yours Truely, Emily

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I told her if she needed help rehoming him them I would help. And I know that you have a bird and know what type of care is needed for them. His/Her name is Max...about 6-7 years old. He has a decent size cage, but could have bigger, has toys, the right perches, pretty good diet, not too loud and a really sweet bird. He doesn't have plucking issuses or anything like that. I really wanted to take him if she was going to sell him, but my mom says no more since I am going to college in a year and a half. I will see what I can do. What part of Austin are you in. and is the aviary you help out at the one by Austin Zoo in the middle of no where Austin, TX. heheh
    Yours Truely, Emily

Name
    Sasha
    Thanks

Lol.... yes, J&M Avaries. Thanks so much for the info... Currently we have a few calls out and we're waiting to see what the breeding season will bring, but thank you for the info. I'd definetly write that down in case nothing comes up this season; I've already put down a deposit, lol.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

caiques!!! i love my tengu (see sig pic). yes- they are "little sherman tanks", but as you can see, i have quite a flock, and they all come out together, eat together, and share gyms (except the budgies, who come out separately for playtime).

they can be trained to be civil- they are whip smart. but they need a firm, fair consistent hand or else they will be stubborn, willful lil brats with a penchant for biting- HARD.

even when they are as sweet as my tengu, there are a few things to prepare for-

1. they are FOOD TERRITORIAL! woo- when we all eat together, and tengu gets her food, her cheeks puff out and she makes a LOUD warning squeal, even if no one is coming near her. it says, "back off, buddy- i'll kill you where you stand if you take away MY food!" and she means it, too. i have to say her name several times while she is entranced eating before she "comes to" and will step up without biting a finger off!

2. they go into "overload behavior" when playing or excited for another reason quite easily. this means that they are not in control of their actions, and could easily harm someone. in an adult, it's easy to se- their orange eyes pin, they puff up, and they are FRANTIC! in juveniles, it's a bit more subtle.

they are NOT a good first "big bird" i would recommend an easier bird- like a pionus or conure. but if you have LOTS of time (they need hours of play and roughhousing) and space (they need a cage that most people think of as african grey or small cockatoo size), a caique can be a joy.

they are differentf rom other parrots in so many ways. don't tell anyone, but tengu is my fave. she's my little freakazoid. shhhh!

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

I sometimes 'caique sit', meaning I look after someone's caique when she goes away. I don't have a huge amount of experience of them, only of this one and the ones that sometimes board at my workplace, but here are some observations I have noticed.

Noise: They have a very loud shrill call, which can be deafening! They don't tend to be screamers, but when they want something, like attention, they will make this loud piercing call.

Activity: They are so playful! Little clowns. Everything is a toy, and they have a constant energy level that needs to be fulfilled all the time. Definitely not a bird that anyone should consider if they have not got lots of time to spend with it on a daily basis. They are very smart for their size.

Naughty: They can be so naughty! The few I have met seem to get a bit nippy if they want something that you are stopping them from getting, of if you want to put them home and they won't step up. They seem to want to be 'the boss', telling you what to do. I am sure that these behaviours can be sorted with good early training, I think I could have just met some naughty spoilt ones.

Loving: They seem to love their one to one chill out time, and love to have their head and body stroked for long periods. They seem to love the physical contact.

Again, these are just the impressions I have got from the few that I have met. Other may have different experiences.

Regarding do they get on with other birds, the one that I look after totally ingores my birds like they are not there. The ones at the vet also no not seem bothered by the presence of other birds. I do get the impression from their characters though that they might well develop jealousy towards any other bird that takes your attention away from them. Dani will be able to elaborate more on this, as she has a caique that lives with her flock.

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

There are a few breedersin Austin that preed Pionus....sry to get off topic from caiques!
    Here are a few breeders:
    Pionus and Caique
    http://gvtc.com/~pionus/value.htm#pionus

http://www.backperch.com/
    (these are the only ones with websites but there are many breeeders in TX
    http://www.birdsnways.com/birds/bradt.htm <<that is where I find all the breeders
    Yours Truely, Emily

Hatched!
    Name
    Maggie Rose
    Thanks

I don't know anything about Pionuses (pionii??) but I do know caiques. My first one was Frida who died tragically. Now I have Dash and Lilly. I love them dearly. They do require consistant discipline and lots of love. They can be nippy and will continue to be nippy if you don't nip it in the bud. They do like their food. And they can be noisy tho not as noisy as some conures I have been around. I don't know if they mix well with others but I think all would depend on how they were introduced and if they felt threatened or felt that they were being usurped in position in the flock. I don't think I will ever want to have another breed of bird, though my husband is pushing for a too or grey. Can you feel my heels digging in????

If you decide on a caique, learn to make toys. They need a lot and you will go broke if you don't make at least some of them. They are not hard to please toy wise but they do need a good variety and they need to be rotated out on a regular basis. Also be prepared to have a protable gym or a gym or play area in every room they frequent. Otherwise they will play with things they are not supposed to. Mine have severly damaged a window blind and part of a window sill (in a matter of an hour or so). You have to watch them every minute. Also, they like to snuggle to the detriment of their own health. That is how we lost Frida. She snuggled up to my husband and suffocated.

Name
    Rose Gregory
    Thanks

I had a caique. She was a sweety. She also wanted constant attention; and when she did not get what she wanted she would use her shrill call non stop. I have to work during the day, so I would put her on the screened in porch to give her a change of scenery. I had a huge cage for her with tons of toys. I did everything suggested including clicker training. Still she called (screamed) contantly when she was not allowed to come out of her cage. Once the neighbor started hearing her, we knew we really had a problem I ended up finding her a new home with a lady that has other birds and is home all day. I keep in touch with her and although she is still calling, she seems to be doing better. Before I got her she was caged with another bird. I think a new environment with other birds and someone to shower constant one on one attention to her was what she needed. I still hurt from having to find her a home (I wanted her home to be with me). I think things worked out for the best, and I know she adores the lady she is with. I have a new sennie boy and he is an absolute love! He is also very quiet and content to play in his cage when I am at work. Please be careful with your decision. When I first saw the caique I visited her everyday for three weeks for hours at a time. I never heard a peep from her. I gave her constant attention when I was home and tried to work with the screaming/calling; but it was her way or no way. I never intended to take a bird into my home and not keep it. But I do believe my decision was best for both of us. She has a home with a beautiful loving lady and plenty of birdy pals to keep her company.
    MRose

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

hmmm. my tengu does not have the "shrill call" that rose's and leeann's (friend's) do. she does call for me, but it is not that loud (or maybe i'm deaf from living with conures!). it may vary from bird to bird within the species, it may be socialization, or maybe i got lucky.

but i would say...

demanding? check! tengu needs HANDS ON attention much more than my other birds, who are contented "hanging out" with me or playing call and response. tengu demands wrestling from both me and my wife several times a day, and expects cuddling from both of us several times a day as well (lee ann brought up the need for affection, mine is like that too).

troublemaker? yup. in the last two days, tengu has taken big bites from a bar of soap (through the wrapper, after her shower) and ruined an antique sign. while i know she didn't ingest the chunk of wood, but i hope the paint wasn't lead based & she didn't get a bit of it... sigh. she needs to be watched CONSTANTLY.

and she needs the freedom to explore (safely), so keeping her locked up for hours won't work, either. she needs us more than our other birds, period. she is far more demanding of our time.

there is also a direct correlation between the amount of time she gets outside her cage/with us, her humans each day and how easy she is to handle. let me explain- if there is a day where we are not home for a good portion (and she must stay cage bound for several hours in a stretch), she is OUT OF CONTROL. i think she is manic "to make up for lost time".

conversely, if she gets LOTS of stimulation (is out & played with actively, or gets to go on a day trip) she is MUCH more mellow.

if you want a constant companion, and a demanding one at that, a caique is great. if you are new to birds or want to spend a few hgours a day with a birdie pal, look to another species...

Name
    Sasha
    Thanks

Thank you all for the feedback, after alot of debating with myself and thinking it over, I decided to get her. I will be taking her home once the cage I ordered arrives Part of what went into my desicion is that all of my family seems very taken with her; I've sat down with them and explained the guidelines, the caique personality, etc... we're all very excited to be getting her.
    I've also had alot of hands-on time with her at the aviary; she almost never stops moving, but miraculously stays on the stand if I put her there. I think it'll be a great match... I'm so excited. I've already bought a bunch of toy supplies online; there'll be no lack of toys for this little one!