Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thanks

Re: Tiel vs. fly trap (tiel lost)

warm water and baby shampoo could work, as long as you don't let him eat any of the shampoo when you wash him and rinse his feathers well...

alwyscryn

Tiel vs. fly trap (tiel lost)

I have a problem here. My tiel escaped from his cage, flew to me and got caught in the midst in one of thoses sticky hanging fly traps!!! We immediatly went to the emergency vet, spending 3 hours there to remove the trap and try to get the remaining glue off him. Well $125.00 later, my baby is still full of glue, and has had most of his feathers clipped very short. Needless to say he is not a happy camper . What I'm trying to find out is if anyone knows anything or way to bath him to clean him up, as he is now seeming very agitated w/ himself and his sticky feathers. I'm afraid he's beginiing to self mutilate to get rid of this gunk. I've called all pet stores asking for any products, and he's been to 2 vets, so that idea would be useless.....any others?????

Wally

Ordinary vegetable/corn cooking oil works very well to remove animals (or yourself) from the sticky substances normally used to trap insects. Due to a scorpion infestation in my house, I used many sticky pads. Although scorpion stings are not as dangerous as most people believe, they really really hurt. I have had several occasions to remove small and not so small animal/birds/children/myself from industrial grade sticky pads with success. (not the cheap imitations stickies found at the supermarket) Of course the bird is a little messy afterwards, but it can easily be wipe off and the bird can finish cleaning itself. (non Toxic)

alwyscryn

Thanks for the advise

Thank you very much for the speedy replies!!2 I'm going to try the oil thing right now, I'll let ya know how it works...keep your fingers crossed for me and Cooper!!!

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: Thanks for the advise

OMG! I did not see this post until now. I suppose you have used the oil already. Please don't use it again! A bird's feathers have their own oils, and these are very very important for maintaining a proper body temperature. Anything that you put on your bird's feathers can seriously screw that up, and this can leave him succeptible to illness. I realize that the glue being on his feathers woudl also mess things up, but I think that oil would be pretty dangerous to use. I would suggest spraying him frequently with plain old warm water, preferably in the mornings so that he can dry off by the time he goes to sleep. Make sure he is not exposed to any drafts, especially when wet. I would also take him in for a checkup at the vet. Those glue traps have chamicals added to attract insects. I don't know what those chemicals are, but I'll bet they're not safe for birds.

Another thing to keep in mind - try giving your bird lots of chew toys. When feathers are trimmed, birds will sometimes pick at their feathers, and this can become a habit-forming behavioural problem. It sounds as though your bird had to have lots of feathers trimmed, so he may have a higher than average chance of feather-picking. If he is picking at his feathers, anything you can do to distract him would be good.

How's the little guy doing?

alwyscryn

Did use oil

Hi, and thanks for the advise. I did use the oil already and it worked great at getting the glue off. I didn't use alot, just dipped a cloth in it and wiped him. It really helped with his feather aggression, he hasn't picked hard since. I've have noticed he's much colder than usual, but he did lose alot of feathers, and it's becoming fall time in N.Y. so it's hard to tell why he's getting a chill. His spirits are getting better, he's talking and chirping again, for the 1st few days he just moped and was miserable. I am wondering though since it's been over a week now since he hurt himself if I can add his perches back in his cage. When we left the vet, the vet told me he'd lose his balance easy, and to remove all his perchs, and keep him from climbing. Luckily my hubby's handy and we put a sheet of cardboard in his cage to cut the cage height down, so he's just been able to roam the bottom, with no risk of climbing the cage . Let me know what you think. Thanks to all for the helpful replies

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: Did use oil

I've have noticed he's much colder than usual, but he did lose alot of feathers, and it's becoming fall time in N.Y. so it's hard to tell why he's getting a chill.
    Could also be the oil sort of interfering with the heat maintenance. If so, then the oil has to come off. Do the feathers feel oily at all? If so, I'd suggest giving your bird a shower with warm water every day, and blowdrying him (with an old dryer that has hopefully burned off any Teflon elements) if he will let you. If he won't let you blowdry him, you don't want him getting even colder, so don't do it every day. The oil may eventualyl come off, but it will take a whole lot longer if he doesn't get a bath.

Hard to say whether you should put a perch in for him or not. Maybe you could try him with an extra wide perch, or a ladder placed iun the cage horizontgally, and see how he does with that. Why did the vet say that he would lose his balance - becasue the bird was weak, ro becasue he had lost feathers that were needed for balance? If he has no balance due to loss of his tailfeathers, then it could be a long time before he grows in new ones.

alwyscryn

No, he really doesn't have alot of oil on him. His feathers certainly are shinier than normal, but I wouldn't consider him oily. He loves bathing but I've avoided it lately because it's chilly here, and he seems cold to begin with. He'll sit under the dryer for a few minutes, but I worry about that because he virtually had alot of feathers ripped off him as the vet removed the sticky trap, so he has a few exposed areas of skin, and I don't want the dryer to burn him. He really is looking 100% better!!!
    As far as the perches go, I believe the vet was concerned because he had the heavyness of the glue still on his tail (well whats left of it) feathers. I think he'd be fine with the loss of feathers with his balance, because before his molt he had no tail, as he'd broken them all in his crash landings!! He really hasn't had the tail feathers long anyway. I figure I'll keep his cage height seperated and just put a perch or two, on the bottom and see how he does with that. Then in a day of two, I'll take the cardboard out and give him his space again. Poor little birdie!!

Fly my little pretties, FLY! Egg's Cracking... ladybluewings01's Avatar
    Name
    Helena
    Thanks

Try putting a heat lamp (with no teflon coating) over his cage. hell sit under the heat of the lamp and it will keep him warm. Heat lamps also have Theraputic properties. My vet always has me put heat lamps over my birds cage whenever theyve had shots or are recovering from a broken bloodfeather or a molt. If yo dont have a heat lamp, a Heat pad under the cage (set on low and covered with a towel) will also help. If you dont have that either, you can make your own by placing soaked paper towels or wash clothes in a gallon sized ziplock bag and nuking it for about a minute (with bag open of course) AFter its done withe the microwave, close up the bag, wrap it in a towel and place it under the cage. hope that helps. And keep us updated on your poor baldified birdy!

alwyscryn

Oh, that made me laugh Ladybluewings!!! You must be in some form of human service or Psy!!! I loved all the suggestions, if not that try....this!! I will definatly get a heat lamp, can't believe I never thought of that!! Thanks

Name
    Amy Mattson
    Thanks

I NEED HELP.The same thing just happened to my cockatiel with the fly trap. He got very tangled and stuck. I woke up my dad because I was scared and Elvis trusts him the most. My dad got it off of him but Elvis doesn't have ANY tail feathers any more and very few wing feathers. He is 11 years old, we've had him for 6 years. We don't normally keep him in a cage because he freaks out in the cage and smashes himself against it repetitivly. He's not doing that right now luckily, but he can barely balance at all he keeps climbing as high as he can, and falling to the bottom I'm really scared he will hurt himself more. He is really sticky and has a nose bleed too. I don't know what to do, we really can't afford to take him to the vet. My dad's the only one w/ a job and we have to pay the bills. I looked up cockatiel emergencies online and got this site. I am scared and need some advice ASAP. He is picking his feathers also. I'm scared that the feathers might get stuck in his mouth and he might choke, or that the glue is toxic. I love my bird a lot and he loves to sing and he loves to fly. He is very scared. Will he survive?? Will his feathers grow back? My poor Elvis! He was just fine an hour ago. She we clip the few wing feathers that are still long or leave em be? PLEASE HELP ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Amy Sue~

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

TAKE HIM TO A VET!!!! Thats all I can say if you don't he will die from the toxic chemicals on the glue period. If you love him take him to a vet. the nosebleed is a BAD sign. Maybe you can work out a payment plan with the vet but he must go immidately.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Name
    Amy Mattson
    Thanks

We couldn't of taken him to the vet last night even if we could have afforded it. It was 3 AM and there are no 24 hour vets round here. Today Elvis is much better. We have got almost all of the glue off of him and he is not in pain, he is mostly worried about gettin his neck rubbed. His nose isn't bleeding any more, I think what happened is he hit it on our tile when he was tangled in the fly trap, cause he was flippin all around, freakin out. Other than bein without tail feathers he seems just fine. He is eating and drinking normally and beggin to be pet on his neck. He has learned that he can't fly.We folded up a towel at the bottom of his cage so if he climbs and loses balance... the landing is soft. I think we've done well helpin him, if yall have any tips please post em.

~Amy Sue~

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

My only tip for you is to save some money for an emergency fund. If you cant afford vet care you shouldnt have birds in my opinion. I presonally have to cut back on personal pleasures to afford my birds, but its worth it. You could try saving a little bit of money a week. He really should have gone to a vet...

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Name
    Steve
    Thanks

Why are people hanging sticky fly traps when they have flying birds. To me, this is an accident waiting to happen

Name
    Amy Mattson
    Thanks

I know it was extremely careless. He doesn't fly all around most of the time though, he has his spots where he likes to hang out. On top of the curtains, on the back of the couch so that he can be by us, on top of his cage, and on top of the fridge. Everything but the fridge is in the same room. He has torn up papers at the back of the top of the fridge and he hides back there and gets very protective when you try to get him. That's his hiding spot. And I didn't hang the fly trap anyway. I have more common sense than my family. I actually told my dad it was a bad idea but unfortunatly soon I forgot about it. I didn't even think about it again untill it happened... When things are out of sight they are way too easy to forget about. But my Elvis is doin so good. It's been less than a month and his tail feathers have already grown back all the way and he is flyin again, and is very happy. He sings to the Enzyte commercial and the Andy Griffin show again. I'm so glad he is well. Here is a picture of him. He LOVES it when you touch his ears. In this picture he's yawnin when it feels really really good he does that. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../ElvisnAmy.jpg
    ~Amy Sue~
    Last edited by Amy Sue; 09-16-2005 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Picture didn't come up.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

One of my tiels has started flying where she's not gone before. So I've had to watch even more closely. And sometimes fathers (and In my case husbands) are ornery and don't understand and "think they know best" and there's not a lot we can do about it except try to avert disaster.

I'm really lucky my girl didn't get hurt with the last incident, but I'll continue to try to educate the husband.

I'm glad Elvis is doing so much better I love his bright yellow cheeks!! LOL and what a cute yawn

He's a beautiful bird

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    Steve
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Sue
    I know it was extremely careless. He doesn't fly all around most of the time though, he has his spots where he likes to hang out. On top of the curtains, on the back of the couch so that he can be by us, on top of his cage, and on top of the fridge. Everything but the fridge is in the same room. He has torn up papers at the back of the top of the fridge and he hides back there and gets very protective when you try to get him. That's his hiding spot. And I didn't hang the fly trap anyway. I have more common sense than my family. I actually told my dad it was a bad idea but unfortunatly soon I forgot about it. I didn't even think about it again untill it happened... When things are out of sight they are way too easy to forget about. But my Elvis is doin so good. It's been less than a month and his tail feathers have already grown back all the way and he is flyin again, and is very happy. He sings to the Enzyte commercial and the Andy Griffin show again. I'm so glad he is well. Here is a picture of him. He LOVES it when you touch his ears. In this picture he's yawnin when it feels really really good he does that. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../ElvisnAmy.jpg
    ~Amy Sue~
    I'm glad your birdie is fine. It is so cute. Looks like it really enjoys it's scritches. By the way, is Elvis a Pied?

Name
    Coby
    Thanks

Hey there I know how you feel about not having the money for a vet but you should see if anyone around where you live is a cockatiel breeder or owner.Because in case of things that happen they somtimes can give you really good advise without the vet bill.Things happen to birds all the time how where you supposed to know.Just next time stay away from the fly traps get a fly swatter instead.I think that Elvis is adorable.Hope everything works out.
    Last edited by siren27ca; 09-18-2005 at 11:58 PM.

Name
    Amy Mattson
    Thanks

Yeah my Dad thinks he knows EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING. There is no tellin him other wise. He doesn't listen to anyone about anything. But I'll keep tryin too tell him when he has a bad idea. Definetly no more fly traps in my house ever again. I'm not sure if Elvis is a Pied. I've heard the term but I don't know alot about the different kinds of breeds. A friend gave us Elvis 6 years ago when he was moving. My friend didn't know what Elvis was either. He was given Elvis from a friend that didn't know what he was. How can you tell? Yes he loves gettin his head scratched. He was really mean when we first got him and he never sang. Now he's the most affectionate bird and he loves singin. And he says thank you when you feed him. :-)

Name
    katelyn
    Thanks

use a heat lamp to help him dry off but make sure you monitor him so he dosent get heat stroke

Name
    Carrie
    Thanks

Glad your bird is ok. I think it is cute that he says thank you when you feed him.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Hi Amy,

Glad to hear Elvis is doing well! Sounds like you have a great tiel there!

Elvis is definitely a pied. A standard gray male will have a yellow head with bright cheek patches and no white in the face. He will have white stripes on the outer wings (called wing bars) that he displays during mating struts, but that's about it for coloring. The rest of him is gray. Elvis on the other hand, has yellow and white in his head and also yellow and white in his body, mottled, or "patchy" colored, intermingled with his gray. He sure is a cutie and by the looks of it, he's enjoying those scritches!!!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!