Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Think I have a lonely budgie...:(

Name
    Swati
    Thanks

Think I have a lonely budgie...:(

Has anyone else had only one budgie for a long time?

I was watching everyone's clips on my laptop and Punkhie got soo excited....and came out of his cage onto the comp and then tried to look behind the screen to see where the budgies are

I feel soo bad. I didn't want to get another one...mainly because of costs. I mean they aren't hard to take care of in general but when things go wrong I want to have enough money for the vet......anyway so I always thought if I talk to him etc...he should be fine. I mean he's rarely alone....and the times he is...i usually put music on for him....

but just got this sad feeling like I am keeping him isolated and starting to feel like perhaps I should try to find him a companion......what do you guys think? Anything I can do to make him less lonely?

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Think I have a lonely budgie...:(

Give him lots of different types of toys and rotate them often, have music or tv on, make sure you spend a lot of time just hanging out with him and some time teaching him tricks/ challenging his mind with toy blocks, balls..etc.

I'd also suggest getting him a budgie buddy. You can find them at pet supply stores.
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3312&subref=AA

A mirror could also help ease his feeling of being alone.

Name
    Swati
    Thanks

I had the mirror for a while...but then there was all the discussion about how its bad so took it away. but will try it again. Thanks!

Also saw something similar to that in my pet shop...but felt like it was kinda 'evil' to use it

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Mirrors can be a distraction when you are trying to bond with your budgie.
    If you have bonded, and are spending time with him, having a mirror for him to look at when you are not around should not effect your bond.

Budgies are flock birds, so having something they can cuddle up against, (a fleece bird toy may be good) or a 'buddy budgie' will help so they don't feel lonely when you are not available.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah Breen
    Thanks

Hi,

Its my first time on tailfeathers. I'd also appreciate some advice re: budgie loneliness

I used to volunteer at an animal shelter in London and that's where I acquired my male albino, Jojo.

My vet says he's around 9 months old. He's really bonded to my partner but will only perch on me (no cuddles sadly).

I really want to get him a buddy as my partner isnít in all day and Jojo seems to pine for him even if Iím there.

Do I need to find him a pal of similar age (and size as still v. small)?

B

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I have a lonely budgie too, and her cage is right next to the window. I put a wooden platform bird feeder just like this one right outside the window, in front of my budgie's cage, so that birds would come, and maybe my budgie would feel like she has friends.

Many little birds visit the feeder all day long. Sometimes there are like 7 or 8 of them at the same time. When they come, my budgie gets really excited, jumps around her cage, practically bouncing off the cage walls, and screams at them. She's this brightly colored little lime-green and yellow thing screaming at the top of her lungs at a bunch of little brown birds. They pretty much ignore her, though. In intervals when there are no birds at the feeder, she looks out the window in excited anticipation of them.

When I'm home during the day on the weekends, I let my budgie out of her cage so she can run around on top of the cage and back and forth along the windowsill for the birds outside.

Thanks

well if it were me, i would get him another male friend companion....this way ther would be no fear of mating

My Budgies: Sky,Snowflake,Vanilla Bean,Marshmallow,Blueberry,Lemonpop,Pee-Wee

My Parrotlet: Sweetpea!

The ones Ive lost...I miss you so much!!!!
    Teal,Lemon,Coconut,Kiwi,Midnight,Baby Gray,Nibbles,Aqua,Cottonball,Sunshine,Fluffer,
    Powderpuff

I <3 Jellybeans Egg's Cracking... sKiBbLe's Avatar
    Name
    Kate
    Thanks

My Jellybean has had 2 partners (both of whom have passed away sadly) and she's absolutely fine. Yes, she missed them at first, but it didn't take long for her to bounce back. She also loves the videos of everyone's budgies chirping, she runs to the screen to find them.

I find that playing music the entire time she's awake or having some kind of noise in the background keeps her talking to herself, she also takes trips with me everywhere I go in the house so she's constantly got a new environment to play with. She's very bonded and absolutely human-loving, so anybody that comes into view is her new best friend. To this, I'd say rotate his toys around his cage, keep playing music and bring him around the house with you if you can.

You three will always be in my heart.

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

tough call. I look back on when I was a kid and realized that my families 1 budgie was likely lonely.. and super (too) attached to the hanging bell mirror.

I have 2 now, and they keep each other company, but I do feel (not to toot my own horn) that they still like interaction with me more than when they are just the 2 of them. I don't have a vid camera, but from the poop pile sometimes they seem to be perch potatoes, when I'm not around, even though they have the 2 of them.

They really perk up when I get home and if I can spend more time on weekends with them.

For our circumstances, I think 2 is better than one.

I do leave tv on different channels. I ask them what they want to watch/listen to before leaving for work
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Remove Ads