Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Thinking of getting a new bird.......

Name
    Swati
    Thanks

Thinking of getting a new bird.......

Not sure if this is the right place to post this....

But my grandmother is staying w/ my parents for about six months. My grandfather just passed away...so shes going to spend 6 months w/ my parents and 6 months w/ my uncle in Finland. So I was thinking of getting her a bird to keep her company.

I spend some time w/ her and she really enjoyed Punkh's company. Just that he is a bit small and gets scared easily. So wanted to get her something a little bit more interactive. Can anyone recommend anything? Perhaps a conure? or tiel?.

The other thing is I will probably end up taking care of it when she goes to finland...so I want something thats not too big that it will eat my baby, Punkh, and will actually play w/ him...or at least some interactions...

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

Re: Thinking of getting a new bird.......

hmmm...not knowing all the circumstances is tough.

are you saying the your grandmother will eventually keep the bird or? Is she fit to keep a bird properly.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks

It doesn't sound like an ideal life for a bird to have an owner that is going to be leaving in only 6 months. Are you still living in your parents home.. where the bird will be? A conure doesn't sound like a good fit because of the size difference/bigger beak. As far as small birds go, lovebirds and parrotlets are a bit aggressive.. and could injure a budgie with their larger beaks. Cockatiels can get along with budgies under supervision. I think that the best companion for a budgie is another budgie, though. Some budgies are very outgoing and friendly. Some aren't.. so its a bit of a gamble.. but that's true of any bird really.

I'd suggest working more with Punkh and hopefully he will be able to warm up toward your grandma, rather than getting another bird.

I love my budgies! Teenager jt_80's Avatar
    Name
    jt_80
    Thanks

You mean buy a bird for your grandmom? Most smaller birds must be tamed before they would approach the giantic human. Larger parrots are not as frightened of humans but their bite is pretty painful.
    Why don't you get another budgie, tame it, and give it to your grandmom? She prorably doesn't want a untamed bird that has to be locked in the cage ALL DAY. But I'd have to agree with HurdyBirdy, if you can't tame Punkh, no use getting another bird you can't tame. My budgies pretty much warmed up to everyone after they're tamed.
    Proud owner of Whisky and Brandy ............. Pictures availible HERE.
    December 29, 2005 ~ Our special day

And the hammy, Artermis !!! (March 13, 2006)

Name
    Swati
    Thanks

well its not that Punkh isn't tame its more like he's shy around new ppl.

Rich the situation is that...I want to get my grandmother a bird. I don't live with my parents...I am away for University but come home every other weekend. My grandmother won't be taking care of the bird....my mom and dad will be, but she will be 'hanging' out with it. And obviously I will be there during vacations and weekends...so will Punkh. So just want something that could get along with both.

I see what you mean about taming a new bird...that might be a bit difficult. I know Punkh only took a week or so. But I guess all birds are different. Perhaps a bird is not a great option.

Thanks guys for your opinions!

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

I don't know...what do your parents thing of the idea? Or your grandmother for the matter? Even if they do take care of it, will they interact with it? I always thought birds as 'presents' were bad ideas. I think the person really needs to get a bird themselve to make sure they like it and will love it in time. With all birds it IS different. I had two lovies, one became tame and the other never did. It depends on the bird and the person 'taming' it.

I would re-consider the issue. Talk to your parents and grandmother about the idea and see what they think. Keep in mind a budgie or tiel can live 20 years or more...will your parents want the bird once your grandmother stops 'hanging out' swith it? A pet is a serious commitment...and too many birds wind up stuffed in cages with no attention.

If you are really intent on getting her a bird, maybe something like a pair of finches would be better? A bird that appreciated other birds rather than human company, so you dont have to worry about 'taming it'. Many older people, from what I noticed, seem to enjoy the company of a pair of birds that are not interactive but still pretty and sound nice.

Name
    Swati
    Thanks

well I was thinking of keeping the bird when my grandmother is gone. But I did talk to my parents.....and they think its a great idea...they love Punkh already.