Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

local bird breeders...what are yours like?

we have two local bird breeders here in the area. up until recently, it didn't even occur to me to think about getting a bird from a breeder (mainly because i didn't know of how to find one around here), but now, i can't really see myself ever getting a bird from a store again. well, that's not entirely true. but, i guess i'd rather buy from a breeder since 1) almost all the birds are hand-fed and tame and generally 2) they're cheaper to purchase.

so anywho, back to my question. there are two bird breeders here that i've dealt with. one does both of my birds' nails and wing trimmings, when needed and the other i have bought two hand-fed parakeets from.

1) bird lady #1 is about 40ish and knows a TON about birds. she's been breeding / taking care of birds for over 5 years now and she's pretty great. she's a very involved member of the local bird club and i trust her a lot. she has no less than 150 birds in her house. she breeds cockatiels, parakeets, english budgies, conures, rosellas, bourkes, etc. nothing bigger than sun conures. she also has a few other birds, too, like quaker parakeets and parrotlets. her whole house, from what i can tell, is full of birds. there seem to be a lot of birds in each cage, but none of them look sick or anything. she just has a TON of birds. you almost can't believe it when you see it. bird lady #1 lives with her two children and possibly a hamster or two. her house, if i had to guess, is about 1500 - 1700 square feet.

2) bird lady #2 just started breeding / selling birds. she's in her early 20s. i just went to her place for the first time today. her house looks to be of a comparable size. on the main level and in the rooms i saw, she had about 20 or so birds. some finches, parakeets and cockatiels. my mom told me she heard a lot of chirping, possibly from a basement. this might be where the breeder birds are kept, i don' t know.

now i know when you're a bird breeder, you have to have a lot of pairs to breed. i know you can't be a breeder and have 4 birds that mate. and i know your place will never, ever be really clean. however, that being said, both of these places were really dumpy. the birds seemed to be in good condition, with the exception that their feathers always seem to be a mess, probably since they are always in close quarters.

my mom kept saying at bird lady #2's house today, "oh, that one's pretty" and then we'd realize that was OURS!

so, how many birds is too many for a bird breeder to have? i have to admit, when i am at bird lady #1's house, it makes me think someday i'll see her on animal cops for bird-hoading. i don't know. she just has a ton of them!

what do you guys look for in a local bird breeder? what are your local breeder's places like? if you ARE a breeder yourself, what condition do you keep your birds in? how many per cage? how many per type of bird? each time i visit my "bird lady", it makes me wonder what other bird breeders across the country are like.

please share your stories, i am very curious!
    Mateo (cockatiel), Oliver (RIP, friend ), Mina (parakeet), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet)

*Poetry Comes From The Soul* Maturing... Budgieobsession's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: local bird breeders...what are yours like?

I only know of one breeder, the one I got Eggo from. I wasn't allowed to view the breeding pairs because of hygiene reasons but I was able to interact with all the babies before choosing. She told me she has two to a cage and she treats them all like her pets, not breeders. Her website is AMAZING! Filled with pics of all her birds!! I think she's a great breeder and am looking to purchasing a green cheek from her when I have finished College. Eggo was unbelievably tame, and had a great diet. She maily breeds cockatiels and is starting with parrotlets, grey, conures and ringnecks. I reccomend her to anyone within the Acme area in Alberta, www.mooreoriginal.com
    Female Grey/Pied
    ~*~Visit my Budgie Website, although I do not have my babies anymore~*~

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

^^ wow, what a great website! the birds look really good. both bird breeders i've been to have no birds that look as nice as mine! i almost wish i could get a picture. thanks for the input.

looking for more stories, please!
    Mateo (cockatiel), Oliver (RIP, friend ), Mina (parakeet), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    tuesday
    Thanks

my breeder this is how he runs his place ,,
    first before entering his store must santize youre hands,
    second before picking you any baby you must ask if itsok.
    thride you ask questions he will answer truethfully ,
    fourth if he thinks youre going to hurt the bird he refuses the sell
    5th he dont kill his disabled birds he finds them a home to be loved
    and the most important thing his store and breeding place is clean neat and always concerned with his birds
    i look for some one who takes pride in thier stock , in thier critters and who will put the birds first which he does
    bud,sox,corkie ,brandi ,sunny,honey.16 keets, damon ,snowflake , checkers,peewee, barney and rose /

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

i am guessing my two people i've dealt with may be a little different (i hope they're not on this forum somewhere!). i trust both of them, i guess.... hmmm. i don't know. something tells me they could have their "operations" in better conditions.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Well, the one that I worked for, who is an extremely exceptional breeder known in the aviculture society throughout the world, has about 500 birds. These include finches up to macaws and cockatoos. Not all are there to breed, they all get medical care, any deaths result in necropsies, they all get fresh fruit and veggies, pelleted diet, parent-raised if they can be and hand-raised otherwise... I could go on. Is it immaculately clean? No. When you have 25 cockatoos in one area, the dust alone is hard to manage. He lives on a farm with 4 barns specifically designed for birds including temperature controlled, hold large cages, has walkways to not disturb breeding birds, and large outdoor flights when the weather allows.

However, he no longer sells privately due to a large number of people calling back when maturity hit saying they can't "deal" with the bird and to take it back. It broke his heart. So now they deal exclusively with one pet store chain and sell privately to only people they know well. They also stopped giving tours of the aviary because, again, what some people deem acceptable conditions others think is not acceptable.

I say go in with an open mind. If you have any questions, ask the breeder and they should be happy to tell you. If you want to know who is chirping in the basement where you can't see, ask if you can go see them. If they say no and explain why (babies, breeders, injured etc.) then accept that. If they say no and offer no explanation flags should go up.

Sorry for the long post. Just thought I'd share my experience.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

thanks for your input. i didn't know what to expect when visiting a bird breeder's house, so that's why i was asking others. i don't think the birds are suffering and the breeders seem to know a lot about the birds, so that's good.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mandy
    Thanks

I got Spooky from a breeder who is also a family friend and a few other members have got birds from them also. Her house was clean and it really was not a business to her. I got to see the parents who were in the same room as her other birds in a seperate cage obviously but they all were her pets not just a way to make cash as I hate to say it some probably are. Just wanted to share also.
    Thanks,
    Mandy

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

IMHO, breeders should have no more birds than they can properly care for- physically and emotionally. if the cages are dirty, if they do not get fresh veggies every day, if they have no toys, and are not socialized when breeding season is over- it's too many birds. that said, some larger breeders do a great job by having a staff.

there are waaaaay too many people breeding out there. far too many are producing stunted parrots and just increasing the (eventually) homeless parrot population.

that said, i know of several EXCELLENT breeders. ones who have small flocks. ones who have relationships with their breeder pairs. ones with CLOSED aviaries. ones who will not sell to anyone and everyone, and make sure those that adopt from them are well educated.

frankly, i think the best breeders are ones who specialize in a few species (even though i am friends with a couple who have lots of different species...) and can get to understand that species intimately.