Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

how long do your parakeets live?

i've had a bunch of parakeets over the years and i'm always surprised when i hear how long they're supposed to live. the oldest one i ever had was about 7 years. most of mine live 2-4 years, it seems. i am a pretty good pet owner, so i am wondering, how long do your parakeets live? or, how old are your current keets?

here's a quick rundown (over the past 21 years):

feathers: died at 7. liver problems.

beaker: 4-5 years old. don't remember how he died.

mango: 5 years old. was sick towards end. died from beak trimming at vet's (she had a very overgrown beak). guessing it was a heart attack.

peter: died at about two years. reasons unknown.

kiwi: found dead on bottom of cage floor. no previous signs of illness. less than 2 years old.

palo: 3 years old when put to sleep. was suffering horribly and despite treatment and vet visits, wasn't getting any better.

kirby: found dead on bottom on cage floor. no previous signs of illness. less than 1 year old.

beaksworth: age unknown (adopted from pet store). died during nail trimming (?!?!?) at pet store. i am guessing heart attack.

i almost hesitate to post this 'cause i know some people are going to jump me and think i am a bad bird owner. but i'm not. two died of really odd reasons (beak/nail trimmings). all of these birds were bought from pet stores and not breeders. most of them lived alone (no cagemate).

thoughts? how long do your parakeets live?

please be nice!
    Mateo (cockatiel), Oliver (RIP, friend ), Mina (parakeet), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet)

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

Re: how long do your parakeets live?

what? no one wants to comment?
    Mateo (cockatiel), Oliver (RIP, friend ), Mina (parakeet), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet)

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

First, let me start by saying I do not think that you are a bad pet owner. I have had a few that went quickly with out warning. Heres a run down of my budgies who have passed on:

Elvis~ I only had him for 5 days after bringing him home from the pet store. That was before I knew how to pick out a budgie and now that I think about it he was al puffed up in the store.

Ozzie~ He lasted about six months in our home, he developed a stomach bug really quickly and went down hill vey quickly.

Sweety~ She was a real quicky ( I am sorry to put it like that but thats what she was) I only had her in my life for 3 hours. At least she was loved while she was here.

Petrie~ was the one that started everything. I had her firs and she lasted 5 or 6 years with me but she was not a youngster when we brought her home. I love that bird!!

Blossom~ Only had her for five days. She developed a serious condition, I think from stress from being moved to the pet stre and then into our home. She was poofy all of the time and lost weight very quickly. I never even had a chance to call the vet!!!

As for the ones that I have now:

Ceaser~ she is the only elder in the family right now, and is living well at the age of 3 1/2 years.

Jake~ I know he is still less than 4 months because he still has some of the barring on his head and his cere has not changed yet.

Elwood~ He is any where from 4 to 6 months old, because his cere is already a bright blue and he has no barring on his head, and you can faintly see a dark iris ring.

Houdini~ I would have to say around the same age as Jake, the both seem to have changing ceres and are losing the bars on their heads.

Kiwi~ I'll say any where from 4 to 6 months. He has no bars on his head and his cere is now turning into a light blue color, but there is no iris ring whatso ever.

Dazie~ She is very young, her barring comes all the way forward.

Skyler~ My mom bought him for me after the death of Blossom. I am thinking he is near 3 or 4 months because his cere beginning to change and he is losing his bars.

I hope this helps, maybe this will get some other people to post in here.
    Last edited by mgray767; 04-08-2006 at 08:01 AM.
    Proud Mommy of:

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

thanks melissa! i've found birds can't be so "flighty" sometimes when it comes to death. i remember a few times waking up in the morning and finding a dead bird on the bottom of the cage and thinking "huh?". i know the signs of an ill parakeet, too.

thanks for your response!

Earth-Mother Egg's Cracking... sporkula's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Peanut - my first bird, lived about 8 or 9 years (would have lived longer I believe, if his caretakers had cleaned his cage - I was away at college for three months and returned to find him sick). Kind of like your two birds, he died from a vet procedure. He was sick, we didn't know why, and I took him for a blood test, which killed him. That was three months ago, it still makes me cry.

Lucky - I inherited him from a friend, and he's been with me for 6 years...? I think he'll be 7 years old this fall.

Peepers - inherited with Lucky, but Peepers was always a sick bird. I was too young to know then that a fluffy bird meant illness. He died suddenly one night during the winter. I have no idea how long he lived, but he was a beautiful bird.

Snowflake - my newest addition, I have no idea what his age is, or even if it's a he! After reading Melissa's post, I guess he's under 4 months because he still has all his bars, no iris ring, and a baby pink cere.

This is a good post, I hope more people respond!
    R.I.P. Peanut (1996-2005) Lucky (1998 - 2008 ) and Snowflake (2005-2008 )

^ is bored Hormonal Tweety-holic's Avatar
    Name
    Emmie
    Thanks

I don't think you're a bad bird owner at all. Why would you be here? To talk to other bird owners and learn how to take better care of your birdies, like most of us probably.
    I only had one parakeet die, Fluffy. He was ten, and that's how old Tweety is now and soon to be 11 in July. And they lived in a really small cage. I mean one perch!! They couldn't stretch their wings . I didn't know how much you had to do for them back then. But my Mom gave them fresh food and water from what she told me. They only ate Kaytee seeds. They had two toys. One time they had a two perch cage that they LOVED! They hoped from perch to perch and chirped. But one of my elderly friend's bird (Pretty Boy) needed a big bird cage and we gave it to her. She kept the cage door open (like I do) to let Pretty Boy play freely on his little ladder on top of the cage. The had a bunch of toys. I admired how pretty he was and how big his cage was. He flied to his owner often and he loved her to death. He died by being smothered accidently when his owner laid on him.

RIP all my baybees<|3
    My Scroll

Privacy please! I'm Found a Mate sarahmom22's Avatar
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I had one Budgie before the 2 I have now, and I had gotten him from a breeder, and he was amazing. He bonded with me RIGHT away, and I only had him for about 3 weeks He had an extremely unfortunate accident...I was loading the dishwasher and he'd followed me into the kitchen, and I had NO idea he was behind me and I stepped back and...yup...So horrible It took me a good couple of years to trust myself to get another budgie again.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Isabel
    Thanks

I've had budgies who have lived to be very old, but others who died only a couple of years old. Budgies are like people in that some are very strong and never seem to be ill, whereas others suffer from every ailment going. As long as a budgie is loved and has been treated well then there's no need to feel guilty if the worst happens.

I don't remember all our budgies as my family have had them since before I was born! Ones I remember include:

WILLIE - a yellow male who died at about 7 years.

(Another) WILLIE - lived to be 11-years-old.

BLUEBELL - only lived one year and died suddenly.

MISTY - Sadly she escaped outdoors and was never seen again.

CHAPPIE - He had a malformed beak and was very skinny. We knew when we took him on that he wouldn't get to be old. It appears that he had liver disease. He was about 2 when he just stopped eating and passed away.

KELLY - Died from an enteritis type illness when she was 7-years-old.

VINNIE - Had to be put to sleep after suffering a massive stroke. He was 12-years-old when he died.

SNOWY - Died aged 3 after an egg burst inside her.

BLUEY - Like Kelly, she died from Enteritis. She was on antibiotics, but they didn't save her. She was about 7 years.

BEENEY - Died from a stroke aged just 2 years.

ERICA - Died last summer at the grand old age of 13 years. She slipped away after suffering a stroke.

HARRY - Died aged 7 years from a tumour which affected his crop.

BLUE - Died last Monday. Age about 8-9. His death was very sudden and unexpected as he was a very active and strong bird.

Our current budgies are:

Baby (6 years)
    Robbie (2 years, 9 months)
    Rosie (a few weeks old)
    Proud owner of Baby and Rosie

Banned Tailfeather
    Name
    www.grendelmonster.com
    Thanks

It sounds to me like you are doing fine. It is really hard to tell sometimes because sometimes a bird (like a dog or cat) will get an illness the owner cannot help. My first budgie, Grendel...only lived a little over a year. That is her on the left..she is my avatar and I still cannot take her off my tailfeathers account..she was so special. She had a tumor develop VERY quickly..and I was devastated. We took her to the vet and the vet flipped her over and shook his head and said, "You're going to hate me.." and my heart sank. After an x-ray it was shown NOT to be an egg..and just a fast developing tumor..and the vet said he didnt recommend surgery. So we took her home and LOVED her and made her comfortable. She died a couple of days later.

Sometimes these things just happen. My vet comforted me saying he knew I fed my birds the best seed mix and pellets, fresh fruits and vegetables, provided full spectrum lighting..etc and not to blame myself.

That is what I would do if I were you. If you had a few die young that is really hard. It is one thing if you can say..well they were older it was their time. But like Grendel, the ones that die young are the ones that torment the most. They are young and it easy to second, and third guess yourself.

But I would definitely NOT say you are a bad pet owner!! You are doing a fantastic job. You provide vet care, and you love your babies. Dont be sooo hard on yourself! Easy to say..I still torment myself over the loss of my poodle. A dog I took in as a foster that already had a spinal cord injuries and deformed legs. When he died it hurt me soo much. I think we are always much more harsh on ourselves than others are.

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

thanks for responding everyone! i've always felt like i've taken the best care of my birds. i could do a little better here and there (more fresh fruits and veggies), but i've always felt they are happy to be living in my home. i can't imagine my life without birds.

the two who died as a result of a trimming - that was really hard on me. mango was older and ill anyhow, but beaksworth...he was fine. just died during a nail trimming. he was very tame, too. it just broke my heart and i bawled in the pet store. the lady who did it (not killed him, but trimmed him), won't trim parakeets anymore - the experience was too traumatic for her.

it always hurts when a bird dies. you hate to see a life end, especially when it's so soon. it's sad when you come home and don't hear their little chirps. ok, now i am depressing myself...

anywho, i am hoping for the best with mina and oliver. they are my first two hand-fed tame birds that i've bought from a breeder.

Banned Tailfeather
    Name
    www.grendelmonster.com
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by callisto9
    the two who died as a result of a trimming - that was really hard on me.
    I cannot imagine...here you are taking your birds to a professional..thinking you are doing the resonsible thing and something like that happens. I am sorry!

Dont depress yourself! You'd better go over and give your babies some kisses then you'll feel better! I know when I feel down if I put my nose in Abbu's chest feathers and kiss his little chest I always feel better. lol

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by keetmom
    I cannot imagine...here you are taking your birds to a professional..thinking you are doing the resonsible thing and something like that happens. I am sorry!

Dont depress yourself! You'd better go over and give your babies some kisses then you'll feel better! I know when I feel down if I put my nose in Abbu's chest feathers and kiss his little chest I always feel better. lol
    it was hard to get over. it's freaked me out because one was a reputable pet store that does tons of trimmings and one is my very trustworthy vet!

i've got mina on my shoulder right now and oliver's chirping away in the other room. it's soon to be mateo's time out of the cage...

Sic Transit Gloria Brand New Egg Cambria's Avatar
    Name
    Brig/Reilly
    Thanks

All the birds I've ever had, I still have.

Fredrick McGee: about 8 years old- has fathered 4 chicks!! haha.
    Pippin: she's almost 2yrs. got her for christmas. she'll be 2 come december.
    Griffin: he was about a year old when I got him with Pippin, I suppose he's almost 3yrs come december.
    Apple-Blossom, Casper, Piper, and Scout: born Dec. 30-Jan. 2nd They're 2 1/2 months old now.

I'm hoping that they'll have long, fufilling lives.
    I read about the beak clipping and claw trimming catastrophes... my budgies gnaw on their perches to keep their beaks in tip top condition, and their claws aren't too bad. I'm very sorry to hear about all of these losses. It kind of scares me to think that I may not have Freddie much longer...
    ::Fredrick and Pippin's 2006 clutch::

budgiecrazy Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Hi guys,

All my babies are young.

And I don't think you are a bad pet owner at all... as much as we try to keep them safe they are so teeney tiney it's impossible to protect them from everything. Also, on the reverse side, sometimes they little guys are so tough they can just handel anything. For instance, my mom when she was in Kindergarten (quite a while ago hehe) found a budgie and than after a while bought a mate for it. Since she was in Kg. and her parents had no idea about animals my mom never fed her birds anything but seeds. The birds lived for over nine years (after 9 years her family was moving to england and she had to give them away so who knows how long). So that just goes to show you that as much as we try to do to make birds happy and healthy sometimes it's out of our hands. Some birds are weaker and some birds (like my moms old ones) can live for over 9 years on a strictly seed diet. Oh by the way, i am NOT condoning giving your birds only seeds, I think my mom got lucky with her guys but fruits and veggies are extremly important.

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

back in 2000 The Guinness Book of Records says that the oldest budgie ever was called Charlie, and he lived to 29 years and 2 months.

between 6 and 14 years old is normal for an aussie budgie

this quote is from an aussie TV show called Burkes Backyard, the show is all about peoples backyard, thier plants,flowers etc etc but during the show they have a segment where they show pets .

Oldest Budgie in Australia
    A few weeks ago on Burke's Backyard we featured celebrity gardener, Rob Guest.

Don was interested in Rob's 11 year old budgie, because he thought that maybe it was the oldest budgie in Australia. Since then we've received a tremendous number of letters from budgie owners vying for the title.

We were very excited to hear about Charlie, who was about 22 years old, but unfortunately he died last week. Four other budgies around 17 years old were brought to our attention: Peter from Brisbane, Pee Wee from Merrylands in New South Wales, Gadget from Telegraph Point in New South Wales and Fred from Gwelup in Western Australia.

The Guinness Book of Records says that the oldest budgie ever was called Charlie, and he lived to 29 years and 2 months.
    all shows are documented on the net.

regards
    matty

Thanks

You guys that have alot of parakeets over the years that passed make me feel alot better because I was afraid that like the OP I might also have been a bad parakeet owner. Now I know I was not. I have had the following birds since the day we got married 25 years ago. My husband was the birdlover, before I met him I was into dogs. Mind you all the names of the birds except for the first were named by my kids when they were small. All parakeets.

Sonny: A bright yellow parakeet very friendly, was found suddenly dead on the bottom of the cage one morning. We suspect it was either heart attack or a stroke. No warning signs. We had him about 1 year or so.

Tweety: Blue parakeet. Also very friendly. Another sudden death after 3 years.

Twinkie 1 and Twinkie 2: Both green. Cagemates that caught a cold and died within a few weeks of each other. They were puffed up and sitting at the bottom of the cage and wouldn't eat. We didn't get them to the vets in time and we didn't know about otc antibiotics at the time. The second one I think was more a broken heart than a cold. We had them not even a year.

Twinkie 3: Also blue. Lasted about 10 years. We believe he died of old age, or a heart attack or both since the day before, my mother came to visit and knocked the cage stand over. Next day he was passed away. We were so heartbroken we swore we would never again get another pet.

Twinkie 4: 4 years later, this is the bird we have now. And he is still in the process of taming.

These birds had all seed diet. We didn't know until I came here that birds need more. Still, that one blue lived over 10 years. Some of them were allowed out of the cage and some were not. Depended on the apartment or house we were living in. Again, who knew? Over the years I have found that parakeets tend to be very delicate. They get sick with the slightest draft, they get heart attacks and strokes for no reason. You work and leave him alone too much during the day maybe, or if you move they may not take to your new place and just die. If they lose a cagemate they die of a broken heart. A cold will kill them even if you do everything to treat them and care for them, they could go with no signs or reasons. When they go, it's like losing a child or a beloved family member and you cry your eyes out for weeks after. Sometimes longer. But you love them just the same and you are willing to take the chance of enjoying and loving them for whatever time they are with you for the heartache when they pass.
    Last edited by Nena; 03-26-2006 at 07:42 AM.

Name
    Carol
    Thanks

while growing up, we had a budgie named tweetie who lived 10 years on an all-seed diet. It was all that was available then.

we've lost one budgie last year to an accident. he was about 5 months old.

of the 11 we have, well, we'll see. I have them in ages from 6 months up to about 3 years. Hard to know with 2 of the rescues as we don't really know how old they were when we got them.

marlsy's daughter, Kelsi(age 13) made this sig for the contest

Name
    wetheril
    Thanks

I'm really new to having birds, so the only birds I've had are the ones still around. From what I heard from a lady who works in Feathered Follies, American parakeets can live up to 15 years, but English budgies usually only live up to 5 years because they develop fatty tumors easily.

Snowdrop - I got her December of 2004, which means that she's nearly a year and a half.
    Aster - He was born in mid-June of 2005, so he's nearly a year old.
    Jasmine - I just got him the beginning of this month.

Thanks

About the deaths while being groomed: It's not always the groomer's fault. Regardless of how good a person is at it, or how quickly they try to get it done so the bird can be released, the smaller birds like parakeets and finches and canaries can die of stress even if nothing is done incorrectly. It's sad and horrible, and that's not to say that it couldn't have been because they were holding her incorrectly, but it's not necessarily anyone's fault either. There's no way of knowing ahead of time if the stress of grooming (especially for birds who aren't handled on a regular basis) will cause a heart attack, but it's possible, regardless of how skilled or caring the groomer is.
    - Aviennda, Bunji and Henry (Meyer's and Senegal)

Banned Tailfeather
    Name
    www.grendelmonster.com
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aviennda
    About the deaths while being groomed: It's not always the groomer's fault. Regardless of how good a person is at it, or how quickly they try to get it done so the bird can be released, the smaller birds like parakeets and finches and canaries can die of stress even if nothing is done incorrectly. It's sad and horrible, and that's not to say that it couldn't have been because they were holding her incorrectly, but it's not necessarily anyone's fault either. There's no way of knowing ahead of time if the stress of grooming (especially for birds who aren't handled on a regular basis) will cause a heart attack, but it's possible, regardless of how skilled or caring the groomer is.
    That makes me never want to clip their wings again. Maybe it is a little less stressful if they have it done by me..who they are used to.

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

hello
    I have had birds in the past the oldest lived to be I think 7 or 9

the birds I have now go like this

kiwi- 6
    sunshine-3
    willow-2
    rainbow-2
    bluebell-1
    twitter-11 months
    buttercup-11months
    my helpfull birdy page
    kathy's my space page
    kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aviennda
    it makes me nervous every time i take a parakeet in to be groomed. i have a trusted breeder who now does the wing clippings and nail trimmings, but you just never know. i don't clip the parakeet's wings, but i do have their nails trimmed when needed. mateo gets both since he's a hazard WITH wings.

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

My oldest budgie, Skeeter, lived to be 6 yrs. old. My current two birds are 2 yrs. and 1 1/2 yrs. old.

My mom had a budgie who died while at the vet getting his beak trimmed. It wasn't the first time she had taken him to have this done so it came as quite a shock to her when the vet came out from the back room and told her he had died. She took it quite hard. The vet thought he must have had a heart attack.
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamajodi
    My mom had a budgie who died while at the vet getting his beak trimmed. It wasn't the first time she had taken him to have this done so it came as quite a shock to her when the vet came out from the back room and told her he had died. She took it quite hard. The vet thought he must have had a heart attack.
    i had this exact same experience. mango had been to the vet before for a beak trimming and had made it through fine. 2nd time she went in, she died during the process. she HAD to have her beak trimmed since her illness was making it overgrow.

Breeding
    Thanks

Syd is my first and only bird, and he's turning 5 this year.