Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

A new bird for my flock

Ok.. so I need some advice. I'd really like to add one more bird to my "flock" and have been considering a meyer's parrot for a long time. I wouldn't be getting one for awhile, maybe not even this year.

Can anyone give me info on meyer's? I've read about them on the internet, and heard they were the sweetest of the poicephalus. They seem like all around great birds.

I would be able to have both Cricket and the new bird out with me at the same time right? Just hanging out or on a gym together? I know they might not get along, which is fine, but it would be nice if they could hang out a little.

Should I even get another bird? I don't want Cricket to lose any "me" time. And don't want her to get jealous or anything.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Little Cricket; 03-24-2006 at 08:43 PM.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Re: A new bird for my flock

yes, cricket & a new bird could come out at the same time- just get separate play areas from the start, and that way they can be comfortable and CHOOSE to be together when they want to.

my birds are all out together, and aside from regular sibling squabbles, all is well.

Thanks

Well, as a lot of you know, I have a Meyer's and am a huge fan of Meyer's parrots. Generally speaking they are quiet, affectionate, even-tempered, don't usually give anything more than a warning nip and aren't usually one-person birds, of course that can be encouraged or discouraged depending on how they're raised. I can't think of a single drawback to Meyer's. I've read they can be phobic, but neither my current Meyer's nor the one I had before (died, sadly) showed much of this. I don't tend to put up with that sort of nonsense though and treat everything matter of factly. I act unafraid and calm and show the bird the scary thing and if it's a small scary thing I bite it and mess around with it 'til they see there's nothing scary. Pretty soon, they're not scared of most things anymore.

Bunji is actually loud at times for a Meyer's but it's still nothing compared to most other birds. I think a lot of cockatiels are louder than she is. She doesn't really talk yet (has said "hi" twice and giggles and squeals when we play) but she makes lots of cute noises, loves to "wrestle" with my hands and if she gets carried away I just have to remind her to "be gentle" and she eases up with her beak. The only time she's bitten me hard enough to draw blood was when I was moving one of her cage toys and I think she lunged for the toy and got me instead. I am more careful now so that these accidents don't happen.

Oh, the other good thing about her is that even though she is affectionate, cuddly and playful, she still is content (usually) to be on/in her cage or on her playpen as long as I'm in the same room. She is very good at entertaining herself, but she doesn't like me out of eyesight. That's the only time she's loud, is when I'm not in the room.

Hope that information helps.
    - Aviennda, Bunji and Henry (Meyer's and Senegal)

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Thanks so much guys. Considering Cricket is a one person bird, it would be really nice for the rest of my family be able to interact with one of my birds. I know both of my parents like birds, and my mom wishes Cricket was nice to her. Hopefully I'll be able to get a meyer's this year, or next year.

Noise isn't much of a problem, but a quiet bird is always nice. I haven't been able to find much information on cage size... Do they need around the same size as a GCC would need?

Thanks

That should be fine. Anything conure-sized would be appropriate but of course the largest you can afford/fit in your house is always best. They like to monkey around a lot and hang upside from ropes and perches and swing and you get the idea.
    - Aviennda, Bunji and Henry (Meyer's and Senegal)