Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fighting finches?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    tina
    Thanks

fighting finches?

I have a pair of gouldian and a pair of zebra finches in a large cage. Since I have put extra nesting baskets, the male zebra seems to be chasing the female gouldian around. I think he maybe trying to protect the nest that he has built in 1 of the baskets, but I'm not sure.
    Is it normal for them to fight during or before breeding?
    I am not expecting the gouldians to breed, but have been told the zebs bred like rabbits.

Will I have to seperate them so that they don't harm each other?
    I have had a small breeding box in the cage since the birds have been there, but the zebs havn't been interested in anything until I placed the cane baskets and cane nests in there. Is this all normal?
    Or am I missing something?

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

Re: fighting finches?

tina : do you do any research on any of your birds at all before trying to breed them..!
    correct me if i'm wrong
    you have
    teils
    budgies
    zebra finches
    gouldians
    and quails

your favourite quote seems to be " i heard they breed like rabbits "
    and you also keep reminding people that you are not home much. away 15 hours a day...!
    firstly do you even have a permit for the gouldians.? they are a protect species here in australia and a permit is required...!
    secondly : your lack of knowledge on each type of bird would suggest that you should not be trying to breed all of them considering your not home alot...!

all of this would suggest that your not interseted in the well being of your birds
    and only interseted in "money " or having more birds..!
    what are you plannig to do with all theses baby birds if they do hatch..?

why ask for advice if your going to ignore it...!
    you were concerned about the cooler weather coming with regards to your gouldians..! i gave you advice..! you ignored it..! you put the cane baskets in the cage. and now
    I am not expecting the gouldians to breed, but have been told the zebs bred like rabbits
    did you tell the goulds that the baskets were not for them...!
    I have had a small breeding box in the cage since the birds have been there, but the zebs havn't been interested in anything until I placed the cane baskets and cane nests in there. Is this all normal?
    it was me who suggested the cane baskets..!

Will I have to seperate them so that they don't harm each other?
    YES...! seperate them by taking them back to the shop, becuase your more dangerous to them...!

matty ( bird lover )

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

for those who wish to comment on me being hard on tina, please do some research first on what we are dealing with here before ya'll comment.

i spent the whole night at work worrying that i maybe went to far, was it justified, how many bad replies will there be here about what i said.

and the first thing i did this morning was go back over tina's threads to make sure that i was justified in saying what i did for the best interest of the birds.

you be the judge.

regards
    matty

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

I have to agree with matty. Gouldian Finches are very fragile breeders, and are not for beginers! Gouldians can only be "semi-trusted parents" at at least two years old and up, they are known to kick there chicks and eggs out of the nest, you must be prepared for situations like that.

Before you breed, or continue to breed I suggest you do a ton, of research of them. Zebra finches CAN produce rapidly, they shouldn't be let to breed a lot, putting up nests and breeding material "encourages" breeding, if you do not, then you probly won't have to worry much. However if it does, seperating the finches would save their lives. If you DO NOT want to breed, I suggest you find a new home for your female finches and just buy another male for a company.

Please read and check out finch websites before you breed:

Just a few:
    www.efinch.com
    http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...on/finches.php

A whole list:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...eeding&spell=1
    -content removed by author-

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

david :
    If you DO NOT want to breed, I suggest you find a new home for your female finches and just buy another male for a company.
    here lies the problem.
    lack of knowledge, aparently not alot of research , and trying to breed
    teils
    budgies
    zebra finches
    gouldians
    and quails
    with a death of the male quail..! ( i don't know why he died )
    big guess here ( the budgies did it )

regards
    matty

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

lack of knowledge, aparently not alot of research , and trying to breed
    This isn't just about the finches I supose.... I would discorage breeding completely. I am not sure what else to say, other than take advice and think about the goodness for the animals.

For sure, start reading- online, books, contact local bird clubs, find local bird people, ask them for help and talk to them....

Are the budgies and quail housed together??

I do want to say that I do no condemn people whom want to start to breed. However, not everyone is "fit" for breeding, and the person should know what they are doing, have a mentor [someone to help you if you need breeding help/advise- local breeder]a good Avian vet, tons of research, and the time and money, and homes for the offspring.

Name
    Leonie
    Thanks

firstly do you even have a permit for the gouldians.? they are a protect species here in australia and a permit is required...!
    Depends where Tina is in Australia. I have goulds and didn't need a permit to buy them and I bought them from a pet store, not privately.

I am in Queensland.

Tina .. Here is a link to a site especially for finches if you are really interested in learning about breeding them. This site has a forum as well.

http://www.finchworld.com/
    Last edited by tweets; 03-22-2006 at 05:34 PM.
    ... Leonie

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

leonie :
    I have goulds and didn't need a permit to buy them and I bought them from a pet store, not privately.

I am in Queensland

here is the link to the site for you.
    http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/nature_con...gered_animals/

but i will highlight some interesting bits

Queensland’s native wildlife is protected by law to ensure its survival. People need permits, licences and authorities to keep, use or sell many native plants and animals.
    Endangered
    A species is endangered if:
    there have not been thorough searches conducted for the wildlife and the wildlife has not been seen in the wild over a period that is appropriate for the life cycle or form of the wildlife; or
    the habitat or distribution of the wildlife has been reduced to an extent that the wildlife may be in danger of extinction; or
    the population size of the wildlife has declined, or is likely to decline, to an extent that the wildlife may be in danger of extinction; or
    the survival of the wildlife in the wild is unlikely if a threatening process continues.
    In Queensland, 14 birds, 16 mammals, 15 frogs, eight reptiles, two butterflies and four fish are considered endangered animals.

Last updated: 01 September 2005
    under endangered animals

Top ˆBirds (ˆ14 species)

Common name Scientific name
    southern cassowary (southern population) Casuarius casuarius
    double-eyed fig-parrot (Coxen’s) Cyclopsitta diophthalma coxeni
    eastern bristlebird Dasyornis brachypterus
    yellow chat (Dawson) Epthianura crocea macgregori
    red goshawk Erythrotriorchis radiatus
    Gouldian finch Erythrura gouldiae
    swift parrot Lathamus discolor
    southern giant petrel Macronectes giganteus
    star finch (eastern subspecies) Neochmia ruficauda ruficauda
    night parrot Pezoporus occidentalis
    golden-shouldered parrot Psephotus chrysopterygius
    Herald petrel Pterodroma arminjoniana
    little tern Sterna albifrons
    regent honeyeater Xanthomyza phrygia
    so basically the QLD government say you need a permit to keep native wildlife, they also list them as endangered

who's a naughty girl...! i'd check out the link if i were you and contact them to find out for sure...! i could be reading it wrong

regards
    matty

Name
    Leonie
    Thanks

Oh I hope you are wrong Matty. I tried to read through that website but my eyes are crossing.

I trust the pet shops to issue the correct forms and the one I use definitely has all species listed as to their status. If a particular bird needs a movement permit or a licence it is clearly stated on their cage, along with the cost of the permit. The problem for them is that the list of protected birds changes all the time and they have trouble keeping up with it. For instance their double bars are showing that a permit is required but they no longer appear in the list that you posted.

One wonders how much the list is about protecting birds and how much it is about collecting money for the government, or is that too cynical?
    ... Leonie

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

leonie : theres a contact number in that link, so that you can find out for sure.
    like i said
    i'd check out the link if i were you and contact them to find out for sure...! i could be reading it wrong
    Find out about your legal obligations here. If after checking this material you think you need to obtain a licence, permit or authority, you should contact the Environmental Protection Agency/Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service to find out more. You could also read the Nature Conservation Act 1992 and the Nature Conservation Regulation 1994. Copies are available from GoPrint.

The Federal Government's website has information about permits covering wildlife in or on a Commonwealth area in Queensland
    my interpritatoin of the wording could be all wrong.
    but better to be safe than sorry, tis only a phone call to a govi department, ya should only be put on hold for an hour or 3

regards
    matty

Name
    Leonie
    Thanks

ya should only be put on hold for an hour or 3
    Ain't it the truth!!!
    ... Leonie

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

david :
    I do want to say that I do no condemn people whom want to start to breed. However, not everyone is "fit" for breeding, and the person should know what they are doing, have a mentor [someone to help you if you need breeding help/advise- local breeder]a good Avian vet, tons of research, and the time and money, and homes for the offspring.
    100% agree with ya there.
    all breeders have to start somewhere
    regards
    matty

Name
    Andrea
    Thanks

Matty I dont think you were harsh, just honest. This person obviously doesnt care about their birds and has not done any research. Some people think that they will make alot of money or increase their flock cheaply and are not concerned with preserving the species. When I got my Strawberry Finches I did alot of research and it didnt take long to find that they cannot be kept with Zebras so I separated the zebras to another flight cage once I saw there was agression which only took about a week to start happening.

Especially with finches that reproduce and fledge so rapidly, with just 1 pair of societies they have already produced 4 beautiful babies and the zebras 5 babies. So not only did I have to add a second flight cage for the zebras but I had to add more cages to prevent inbreeding I had to separate the babies to m/f specific cages which is another added expense.

Even keeping non-breeding multiple birds can cause disaster. My parakeets that I had no desire to breed were in a large 6 ft flight cage together and I had a keet severely injured (she is great now) from fighting females so again, 8 keets separated to 4 flight cages. I have cages everywhere.

The best advice for this person.........get rid of the birds, you definitely dont deserve them.

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Okay the original poster has yet to come back to the thread and answer any of the responses they have received which makes me think that they are "picking and choosing" the advice. However, I have to agree with what's been said. Matty I don't think anything was too harsh. It gets very frustrating to try and help someone when they ask and then they disregard the info anyway.

I would split the zebras and gouldians and if you don't want them to breed, don't put up nesting boxes (are cane baskets similar? I had no idea what this was...). This is still not a sure fire way to stop them so seperating the male and female would be the next step. If you are not informed in breeding and the problems that you may encounter or how to take care of the chicks, you should not be breeding.

As for pet stores selling illegal birds... VERY possible. I have worked in two pet stores in two different cities. In one, they sold illegal snakes from the back room. Basically, people would get word about it and come to get things like Sand boa's. Prairie dogs are OFTEN sold in pet stores in plain view while they are also illegal. Another store I worked at sold hedgehogs and they were illegal. As long as someone wants to buy them, they will continue to sell them. If bylaw officers actually care and come by and complain, they play stupid. They then begin hiding them and if someone asks, sells it. Very very very bad. These pet stores are often locally owned and not large chains.

I hope the poster comes back and realizes they are not ready for breeding and possibly not to have so many birds right now. I know I couldn't properly care for that many birds.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

'FB' Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Matty:
    100% agree with ya there.
    all breeders have to start somewhere
    Thanks...

About the Gouldians, that is one reason I like the US, lol... I am hopefully getting some soon, let's hope....

I hope the poster comes back and realizes they are not ready for breeding and possibly not to have so many birds right now. I know I couldn't properly care for that many birds.
    Right on Sist`a! I couldn't....