Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Marissa
    Thanks

Average life span for a cockatiel

Does anyone know what the average life span is? I've heard differing things. I've heard 12 to 15, 8 to 15 and 15 to 18. If anyone knows, I'd love to know the answer to this question. Thanks a lot!

Have a wonderful day!

Marissa

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Louise
    Thanks

Re: Average life span for a cockatiel

Hello Marissa,

I have heard that cockatiels can live as long as 30 years. I have one that is over 25 years old, which is a miracle because his orginal owner died about 10 years ago and this will be his 3rd and last home. He has had a diet of seed only. I have had him for a little over a year and just now have him eating a few carrots, celery and cherrios, but he loves millet spray. I can not touch him while he is in the cage, but that is OK.I will try to post a picture of him, you can tell he is a little rough looking, he has no flight feathers, they have stopped growing.
    He has come a long way in the year that I have had him. I have another cockatiel that can get on top his cage but even she can not get close to him, but he yells for her when she is out of the room. Hope this helps some.
    Louisehttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/3311949/Romeo.jpg
    [[IMG][/IMG]

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Abby
    Thanks

The average lifespan of a pet cockatiel is 15-20 years. According to Dr. Margaret A. Wissman, D.V.M., Diplomat, ABVP, Avian Practice, with advances in avian medicine and the better nutrition that cockatiels are now receiving, it's now possible for them to live well into their late twenties. With poor nutrition, inadequate cage cleaning, allowing a female to constantly lay eggs and lack of medical attention, a cockatiel's lifespan can be cut short to as little as 1-5 years.

(http://www.cockatielcottage.net/basics.html)

Louise, your cockatiel looks absolutely brilliant for being 25!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Marissa
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lashes
    Hello Marissa,

I have heard that cockatiels can live as long as 30 years. I have one that is over 25 years old, which is a miracle because his orginal owner died about 10 years ago and this will be his 3rd and last home. He has had a diet of seed only. I have had him for a little over a year and just now have him eating a few carrots, celery and cherrios, but he loves millet spray. I can not touch him while he is in the cage, but that is OK.I will try to post a picture of him, you can tell he is a little rough looking, he has no flight feathers, they have stopped growing.
    He has come a long way in the year that I have had him. I have another cockatiel that can get on top his cage but even she can not get close to him, but he yells for her when she is out of the room. Hope this helps some.
    Louisehttp://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h112/3311949/Romeo.jpg
    Hi Louise and Angel Cloud!

Thanks for all your helpful info. We have an older male named Snowy whose original owner died about five years ago. They are on a seed diet and eat fruit occasionally. Any tips about dieting? THanks a lot for your help. Weve had cockatiels for 8 years now and they are healthy. But after Sunny's passing, I'm worried. Thanks a lot!

Name
    Josh
    Thanks

Hmm, I would try vegetables instead of fruit -- vegetables have more vitamins and tiels usually like them better. Also - my tiel particularly likes rice and coating healthy stuff he normally wouldn't eat with it gets him to accidently nibble at the healthy food - I manage to get at least some vitamins in him this way.

Good luck!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Kelly
    Thanks

My mothers and step-fathers 'tiel was a lovely lutino, named Willie. She lived just past 25, on an all seed diet, with no toys/showers, and a cage too small for a keet. It amazes me. How people can absolutely ignore their pets, and they live forever.. and the ones who take care of them and love them like children, all end up passing too soon. But I digress.

Banned Tailfeather
    Name
    www.grendelmonster.com
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Muzby
    My mothers and step-fathers 'tiel was a lovely lutino, named Willie. She lived just past 25, on an all seed diet, with no toys/showers, and a cage too small for a keet. It amazes me. How people can absolutely ignore their pets, and they live forever.. and the ones who take care of them and love them like children, all end up passing too soon. But I digress.
    Yeah I was over at some friends' house tonight and we noticed the same thing.

I know I have not had Abbu but since 07-03-2005..and I would love to think I will have him for another 24 years! My husband and I are both SO attached to him!

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AngelCloud
    According to Dr. Margaret A. Wissman, D.V.M., Diplomat, ABVP, Avian Practice,
    dr. wissman is quite accomplished, being a vet and an international embassador

seriously though, angel cloud is right- the reason you hear such varied estimates is because tiels are not the best cared for birds. they are impulse buys, "cheap" birds that are bred for mega-production, fed crappy food, etc. so their average lifespane is artifically low.

i met a woman on sunday whose tiel died at 38. that's not average, that's potential. in the USA, the "average" lifespan is a mere 6 years. sad, because that translates from suffering & poor care.