where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Can't Decide

Love those Lovies Adult love_none7's Avatar
    Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Can't Decide

What are some good things about Budgies?? I'm looking into getting one, or maybe a cockatiel...I dont' know, I just want them both! I do have two cages tho...hmmmm....One is big enough for a conure, and the other would be perfect for a budgie.....hmmmmm...Think it would be a good idea to get two birds at once from the same place?
    Thanks to Little Cricket for the great sig!

I love Sun Kissed Birds! Baby Birds on the brain's Avatar
    Name
    Nedra
    Thanks

Re: Can't Decide

I would start by getting one or the other first
    so you can bond with and tame it easyer.
    my budgies are not real tame so my tiel is a better pet as far as being tame and loving,
    but he was handfed too!

Thanks

What are some good things about Budgies??
    They're budgies

^ is bored Hormonal Tweety-holic's Avatar
    Name
    Emmie
    Thanks

Budgies... are very hyper most of the time. They may not be very cuddly, but certainly entertaining. I love budgies more than 'tiels, even if they are cuddly! It's hard to explain... let's just quote HurdyBurdy... they're budgies! That's whats so grand about them!

RIP all my baybees<|3
    My Scroll

Name
    Swati
    Thanks

ive only had a tiel for about a month or so..they (well mine,kramer) was the gentlest and cuddliest. mine had hyper moments when he would dance around with my budgie, punkh. they love playing games with you. when you are sad and want some nice love...they are there for you.

my budgie, punkh, on the other hand is evil! attn craving....hyper...sweet...i wouldn't say he was gentle or cuddly. but loves giving kisses. i agree with tweetyholic they are fun the watch. again if you are sad they know how to cheer you up...perhaps maybe not comfort you...but will def make you laugh.....punkhie can just tell when im sad and will do something crazy to make me laugh or just fly around and keep landing on me and giving me kisses

i gues it depends on what you want...wahts more imp hyperness or cuddlyness. i guess some budgies can be cuddly and some tiels can be hyper but i guess thats what i found with mine. i think either way whatever you choose you'll be happy with!

toby's mommy Maturing... budgiebudgie's Avatar
    Name
    mae
    Thanks

All who have gotten "stuck" at the pet store watching the budgies - their antics, goofiness, well - plain BUDGIENESS - raise your hands!!

These are the best emoticons I could find here to put together as an analogy of sorts for budgies and how they interact with each other or the rest of the flock (including us humans):

You get the idea.

They are crack-ups. Cockatiels are too, but are more mellow, based on what I've observed. You can see the difference I think when you watch a bunch of tiels together and then watch the budgies together. And decide which is more suited to your home / family. Doesn't mean you can't get the other one later but I agree it would be better to start with the one in order to bond first, etc.
    budgies!!!!!

Last edited by budgiebudgie; 04-14-2006 at 07:10 PM.

2011 Anti-Budgie Poo-Flinging/Eating Campaign
    (I love all kinds of birdies!)

MY BUDGIES// DUCK-BUTTS //VIDEOS OF MY BUDGIES
    * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

I love that budgiebudgie. Budgies are great. You won't need a television because they are more entertaining than anything you will see on tv. I have not had a tiel yet but someday I hope too, but I love budgies.
    Proud Mommy of:

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

I don't think you can go wrong with either one. But I would get one, take your time to train and then get another when the first one is trained. A lot of people have cockatiels and budgies, some house them together, some don't. Your birds will let you know what they want or don't want.
    Jane

Brand New Egg
    Name
    J_S
    Thanks

I've been a breeder of both for many many years. Both budgies and tiels can be very affectionate, it all amounts to what you put into the training and time. I've never found either to be over active because I've always spent quality time with both.

Conures can be noisy and require very large cages but as said, spend the time with them and you'll be more than rewarded. They can be easily bored so require that little extra.

If you're undecided as to which you prefer, check out both at your local breeder or reputable pet store and see which takes to your heart. Some breeders run an adoption system whereby you can have one bird or the other for a short period of time to see which you prefer.

I'm A budgieaholic Tailfeather kathy5's Avatar
    Name
    kathy
    Thanks

BUDGIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warning to you there like a good chip you can't have just one......
    my helpfull birdy page

kathy's facebook page

please give clicks to help my number go up

I love my budgies! Teenager jt_80's Avatar
    Name
    jt_80
    Thanks

Like what the other posters had said, it depends on what you want, cuddles(tiel) or unlimited entertament (budgies).
    I love watching my bugs hanging from their toy, pretending to be George of the Jungle... Tiels are more contented to just sit on your shoulder and beg for scritches .
    Proud owner of Whisky and Brandy ............. Pictures availible HERE.
    December 29, 2005 ~ Our special day

And the hammy, Artermis !!! (March 13, 2006)

Love those Lovies Adult love_none7's Avatar
    Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

well.....I looked at the budgies, only ONE handtamed one...others where from the "bin-o-budige" thing....looked at cockatiels, and she said she did not recomend them, this batch was not very nice.....but lovebirds(again!!) they are soooooo cute! sooooooooo cute!!!!!!! well, I brought him home! but thanks for your help!

Just so you guys know I hope to get a super big cage for a bunch of budgies....not to ever be super tame, but to live together as a flock!
    Thanks to Little Cricket for the great sig!

Name
    javi
    Thanks

i have two budgies: Elphie and Faux. they are very cute little ones. i have to say that is ya cannot have just one. i have two and am thinking of adding a couple more since the cage is huge. i have cared for a tiel for a friend and we were not a perfect match. i like the hyper guys. like my conure
    lovebirds are awesome also
    Life without birds, is not a life I could live

Chick
    Name
    Jennifer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by love_none7
    Just so you guys know I hope to get a super big cage for a bunch of budgies....not to ever be super tame, but to live together as a flock!
    Please, before you do this, take the time to read this thread through: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/c...ad.php?t=27355

We once had the same dream. We're now living with the flock, and there are some realities that you really should be aware of before you buy all those birds. Not the least of which is that they will only live happily in that one cage while they are young, for a while. Once the hens mature, they will begin to fight. The birds will pair off, begin to breed, and the hens will become very territorial and will have to be separated to keep them from harming each other.

It may be possible to have a flock of all one sex, but even then, you will likely have more problems than you are aware of at this point.

Jenn (presently living with 24 budgies)

Name
    wetheril
    Thanks

I've only had budgies, and they are tame (more or less). When they were babies, they enjoyed scritches, but my grown up boy and girl (Aster and Snowdrop) aren't really into scritches anymore. However, I now do enjoy watching them because they are funny and entertaining.

The good things about budgies are:
    1. They are small and cute
    2. They are energetic and hyper
    3. They are MISCHIEVIOUS. You can see the wheels turning behind their cute little faces, and they will tend to find ways to get their own way. Snowdrop even stumped me once on how she kept getting out of her cage (without lifting the cage doors).
    4. They CAN be cuddly, but don't expect them to be. Babies will usually like cuddling more than the adults.