where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: food and water question

missmandi76mo Hatched! missmandi76mo's Avatar
    Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Question food and water question

Hi all! Well I took Dani's(squawk& howl) advice and I bought the Zupreem Parrot Food for Corkey,my goffin. I also started him on almonds and bananas. He seems to like them okay, besides trying to get the hang of holding them in his feet. My question is he puts them in his water, or will eat some take a drink,or just eat some and throw them in the water. Is this "normal" too behavior, or is he trying to tell me something? Also do you think it would be ok to move his water to the other side of the cage. His cage is 5'4 tall and 3' across, so he has 2 different spots for dishes.(I'd take pics if I ever left the house long enough to get batteries,I'm a hermit )Well thank you again to everyone who has helped me through my first bird baby and now my second. Anyone who doesn't know about corkey, he's a new addition to my family, he's a 4yr. old goffin too that was neglected after his owner died last year. (But now he is quite loved!!!!) He's a sweetie. okay I'm babbling, thanks again!!

Loki - love in bird form Four More Babies Hatched! peachee's Avatar
    Name
    Lisa
    Thanks

Re: food and water question

I also have the Zupreem Garden Goodness for Loki. She dunks EVERY piece of food in that bag into the water including the apples, peas, pellets... maybe not the chilis but everything else! The thing is, she NEVER did this with the Hagen Tropican pellets and although the two are mixed, she still does not dunk the Tropican; only Zupreem. I wonder if it's something about Zupreem? Drier? They are larger so maybe it's easier to eat as mash... Who knows.

As for moving the water, you can do this. I did. Guess what Loki did? She now walks from her food dish with a piece of food in her mouth all the way to her water and does the same thing. I feel kind of sorry for her having to walk ALL the way over to the water but otherwise, she would make a game of it and her water would turn into soup every 30minutes!

I would not be concerned over this dipping behaviour nor do I think it is a 'too behaviour but some parrots just do it. I think it's pretty hilarious because she is so proud of herself when she does it. I would just sit back, relax and enjoy the show.

See videos of Loki and the boys here!

Name
    Frank
    Thanks

I've noticed my lovebird doing the same thing. He puts a couple pieces of food in his water, except he just leaves it there and I have to keep a closer eye on his water. It's a seed mix with some pellet pieces I believe. Normal or odd?
    1 Lovebird named Tiki

Love those Lovies Adult love_none7's Avatar
    Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

lol My lovebird does it too, and his water dish is also across from his cage...sooo cute to see him with a piece of food in his mouth walking across the cage, dipping it, eating and going back for more food. Well, what I'm trying to say is: its normal!
    Thanks to Little Cricket for the great sig!

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Hello,
    I have a Goffin's cockatoo and she will still dip with certain foods. I now have her on Roudybush and she does not dip them, thank goodness. She did do it with Zupreen, Harrisons and a few others. Goffin's Cockatoo's are know for making soup. They are also know for tossing food and stuff over their shoulders. I have a tray on the floor under her food dish because of the tossing.

I don't see why you can not move the water dish to the other side of the cage but don't think it will help. If you want to move it to stop the dipping, I think it will not help, but will help if she is a tosser of pellets and seeds. Our Molly would carry it over to the other side of the cage to dip. I do have her pellets, seeds and table food on one side of the cage, water, fruits and vegs on the other side.

Hope this helps,
    Jane

Egg's Cracking... Shauna "Cockatiel Mom"'s Avatar
    Name
    Shauna Hill
    Thanks

Oh man Lisa, that's hillarious, I can see Loki waltzing over to the water dish with food in beak and dropping it triumphantly in the water saying "humph...your not gonna ruin my morning ritual" LOL

I usually keep the food and water either on different sides of the cage or at least not directly next to each other to try to discourage the dipping bandits (when you foster you never know who's gonna be one and who's not) I agree it should be just fine to place on the other side of the cage.

I use Zupreem Natural Premium and Garden Goodness (I alternate) to give variety with my amazon's Harrisons pellets. I have to crush up the Harrisons because Bahama will chuck the whole pellet (too hard, too big for his liking) I leave them a little bigger for Chewie because he likes to take a whole Harrisons and chomp away at it. They both like to eat the Zupreem whole because it's not as hard and crumbles easier in their beaks. Each bird has it's own little prefrences so it's hard to say one thing will work for all birds. Sounds like you are learning Corkeys which is great! That's what we all have to do. Corkey will definately show you

Amorous Tailfeather
    Thanks

Link and Roxy love to make soup. Well, Link is more like a sludge maker. If I don't change his water at least 3x a day, it gets so thick with his food mash that I have to scoop it out! eew! He also likes to put food in his water before bathing in it, crazy bird

Lots of birds do it, it' pretty common.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

my buddy is a dunker as well. she dunks her harrison's and when i go to change the water, it's pellet soup!

many parrots do this, it's like they are part raccoon!

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

Well this is the 3rd time rewritten this post, cuz Corkey hit esc on me 2xs!! I finally got smart and put him in his playground! Is it okay to leave the water that way, will he still drink it? I change it every time I walk by(about 20+ times a day). I use bottled water for my birds, so if I am over doing it, let me know! It can get expensive, they have changed our water system to Chlorites instead of the other crap and they say you can't boil it out. I won't give anything to my bird babies that I won't give to my human babies!! Thanks for the help!
    P.S. I had written in a previous post about him smelling like a stinky cage even after his bath(when I first brought him home), but I guess that was from never being bathed because now he smells lovely,lol, but it took 3 baths to get him smelling "fresh"!

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

I change Mollys around 3 or 4 times a day. You could also get her a water bottle and hang it over her water dish. This way you will have clean water available at all times and water for dipping.

I don't mind cleaning and changing water bowl myself. Some may not agree with me on what I am about to say but I don't like water bottles. I feel they are to hard to clean and not able to clean very well. Water dishes are easy to clean, I would be willing to drink from my birds water bowls when I place them in their cages. People that do have them don't seem to give the birds fresh water everyday also. Some people do put in fresh water everyday with bottles but I know many don't.

What works for one may not work for another.
    Jane

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

I agree with you on the water bottle thing, I have even had people tell me to use one so that I wouldn't have to change their water!!!!! Plus I think Corkey would find some way to tear it down,lol!

Chick
    Name
    Diane
    Thanks

I myself will not use the water bottle for any of our birds. Heard too many horror stories about them. People going away for the weekend and returning and their bird is dead because the ball at end stuck so bird was without water. Also was told that some manufacturers use a ball made of zinc and we all know how bad that is for our feathered friends.

I had read that you were supposed to place the water dish on different side then the food dish because this will make the bird move around -- for those birds that tend to be perch "potatos". Most of our birds enjoy making soup, but the B&G is the soup king in our house! The cockatoo will have a few things in her water but not to bad -- Taz has such ughy looking water by end of the day. Usually have to change his more often then the others --especially in the summer.

Name
    Amanda
    Thanks

you are right,
    He is throwing his food over his sholder

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

i saved money and got a PUR water filter & attached it to my faucet. it's supposed to deal with the chemicals & giardia, etc...