where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Baby Budgies In Trouble???

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tara
    Thanks

Baby Budgies In Trouble???

I have one particular pair of budiges that is not doing well...The hen(Viginia) hatched two, healthy baby budgies. The eldest chick is a good 2 1/2 to3 weeks old. Virginia seemed to be doing fine. Then, this past weekend, she died but the father seems to have taken over taking care of the chicks. I still don't what affliction caused Virginia to die, and I am now currently worried about the father. He is sickly looking, but still seems to be taking care of the chicks. What happens if he dies? Should I step in now, or should I wait? Can anyone suggest something?

Tara

Thanks

Re: Baby Budgies In Trouble???

Yet another good example of why people should not breed birds if they dont know what they are doing. It sounds like you arent feeding your birds properly and their beodies just cant afford to feed chicks with what they are getting... If I may ask, why are you trying to breed these birds??

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tara
    Thanks

Actually, contrary to what you may think, I have been breeding budgie parakeets for a good year with the help of another breeder, and then one more year following on my own for the sole purpose of providing a little entertainment and hope to children coming out of Kemo therapy. It is something I picked up from a retired, experienced breeder, who was in Kemo therapy with me. It helped when I was in therapy, and I intended to carry on the idea and hopefully give that much joy to other children.
    The reason I asked for advice was because this has never happened to me in the past. I only let my birds have 2 clutches a year, switching off constantly to avoid burn-out and any other breeding related problems. I also feed them what I believe to be quality food along with calcium. I doubt food is the problem, but thats not saying it isn't. I hope this post answers your questions, and maybe it will give you a better insight on what I am asking. Any more contributions would be appreciated.

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

You should have a necropsy done on the bird that died, and bring all other birds in to see an avian vet. A healthy bird wouldn't have just died..

toby's mommy Maturing... budgiebudgie's Avatar
    Name
    mae
    Thanks

Hi tara - I'm glad that your breeder friend and budgies and their babies brought joy and hope to you while undergoing chemotherapy and that you are trying to share the same with other kids now in similar situations. I know that chemo can be a grueling process, to say the least. As Little Cricket suggested, a necropsy might give some answers to your questions. It sounds like you try to take good care of your birds, so you probably have an avian vet for them? Maybe you can talk to him (or her) or your breeder friend (if he is available) and see what they think as well? How are the babies and the father doing now?

I wish I could be more help but I do not know much about breeding...sorry. Hope all is OK since your last post...

- mae

2011 Anti-Budgie Poo-Flinging/Eating Campaign
    (I love all kinds of birdies!)

MY BUDGIES// DUCK-BUTTS //VIDEOS OF MY BUDGIES
    * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tara
    Thanks

Hi thanks for your reply , as of now the father of the chicks is doing just fine. He is feeding them regularly, and seems to be eating well. I am hopeful that he will do ok. I also am suprised as to the color of the chicks. All the chicks before these have looked somewhat similar to their parents, which have a pastal coloring...but with these two chicks, one is a pure light yellow, which is perfectly normal...,but the other chick is a common dark green...which I find interesting. I thank you for your reply!

Tara

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

I am sorry for your loss. Could you help by doing some hand feeding?
    Just a thought,
    Jane

toby's mommy Maturing... budgiebudgie's Avatar
    Name
    mae
    Thanks

Hi Tara - Did you ever find out what happened with Virginia? Just wondering. In any case - so glad things seem to be going well. Thanks for the update.

- mae

2011 Anti-Budgie Poo-Flinging/Eating Campaign
    (I love all kinds of birdies!)

MY BUDGIES// DUCK-BUTTS //VIDEOS OF MY BUDGIES
    * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *

Remove Ads