Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: 3 cockatiels mysteriously died.

chelleb8

3 cockatiels mysteriously died.

The birds were all in one cage and treated the same as cockatiels in an adjoining cage. None appeared to be sick. 4 other birds in the cage have survived. None was more than 6 yrs. or so old. Each was found dead, the closest in time was about 3 or 4 weeks, but the first was a couple of months before.

I transferred them to a different cage (4 of them) several weeks ago and all seem to be fine. All of my other birds, 2 conyers, 2 parakeets and 3 finches seem to be fine.

Thanks

Re: 3 cockatiels mysteriously died.

Birds don't just drop dead. If there were no visible injuries, your tiels probably died of disease. Birds hide their illness, so just because they look fine doesn't mean they are! I think you should take your other birds to an avian vet and have them checked, because if it is a disease that killed your other birds, your other birds are probably infected

Also check the cage they were in - the toys, the food, the water etc. for possible poisons...
    Things that can be poisonous to tiels:
    coffe, avocado, chocolate, alcohol
    'unsafe' natural brunches, also brunches from peach and apricot trees if they've been in the cage for a long time
    zinc, lead, teflon fumes, fumes from most paints and varnishes, household detergents and fly spray

Pigwigeon

Vet Check

You really need to take everyone in for a check-up. Maybe the vet can figure out what went wrong. I am really, really sorry for your loss. Make sure you do what you can inorder to protect your other wee ones.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Pigwigeon

Thanks

Re: Vet Check

Yup, everyone needs to have a complete check-up done (blood tests fecal smear etc.) IT IS IMPERATIVE! Birds don't drop dead for no reason so this needs to be addressed NOW (well it should have been adressed as soon as the first bird died).

-Make a list of all that your birds might have had to eat.

-Are you cooking with non-stick cookware (teflon fumes= deadly to birds)

-do you have plants that the birds might have munched on, if so what are the plants

-do you have other pets that might have come in contact with the birds (cat/dog saliva contains some bacteria that are deadly to birds)

-Had you recently bought one of the cockatiel and failed to properly quarantine (he might have been sick and passed it on to the others)

list everything that you think might have come in contact with your birds.

If another bird dies, (and you still have not taken the rest of them to the vet) keep the body in the fridge (not freezer) and have a necropsy done.

Don't wait for all your babies to die. It is cruel for them not to seek proper medical help at this point because they will likely all die.

Keep us posted and I truly hope that everything turns out fine

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jeannie
    Thanks

I don't know what to do. I am having the same problem! I am freaking out really bad! One of my birds was acting very lethargic a few weeks ago but my mom said he was just molting. He wasn't losing any feathers which ruled that out. He has gotten quite a bit better since then, but about a week ago one of my other cockatiels just died. I found him in the bottom of the cage and he was barely moving, his eyes were glazed, and his heart was beating REALLY fast. I took him to the vet immediatly but they said he was so bad at that point they couldn't save him. I separated him from the rest, put him on a heat pad and spooned water to him. He died about 5 hours later. I was really upset and I thought this was weird.... but now all off them are acting lethargic and it is getting worse. I am really worried. The first one that had the problem is actually the healthiest which is a concern. Are they fighting a disease and he just happens to be beating it while the others can't?? I really need to some help!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Jeannie, I'm really sorry your birdies are sick. By your description, it sounds as though your birds do possibly have a contagious illness. Why didn't your vet check out the one bird you brought in first and find out WHAT he had? Then you'd KNOW if you had a contagious desease that your other birds needed treatment for.

YOu need to get your birds in to the vet. The answer is obvious. There is nothing you can do to save your birds if they have a contagious illness. Only a vet and medication will help them.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

or they could be poisoned. do you know that your cage is zinc & lead free?

please take the birds to the vet NOW!

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Yeah, vet attention is PARAMONT. Something is going on. You need to find out what it is!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jeannie
    Thanks

Yes, they have been in that cage for years and have been fine so I am not suspecting lead or zinc. I called the vet and they said the best they could do was send in a stool sample. I had to collect one from the sickest bird and they said they would get back to me by Monday. The sickest one recently died. I am down to 4 out of 7 now. *cries*

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

Wow, seriously? The vet didn't do any blood work, gram stains, etc.? Is this an actual avian vet (or a vet with a lot of bird experience), or is it the typical cat and dog vet?

Calling the vet isn't enough... You should take the birds in to be checked out.

I'm so sorry about your birds, though. I can only imagine how hard that must be, seeing your birds dying like that. I'll be praying that the rest of the birds get better!

Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

AWW that is soo sad :tears

Sam the tiel & Sky the budgie

Remove Ads