Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bleeding (stopped now)

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Bleeding (stopped now)

Caspian and I have been seeing the (avian) vet about feahter picking. He has pulled a few blood feahters and has chewed on others til they bled. We will be doing extensive testing on Wed but last night he was bleeding from a feather and I could not get it to sop. So I pulled the feather like the vet told me to and he bled where I had pulled the feather. I held it and covered it in corn starch and the bleeding appeared to have stopped, so I put him back in his cage. Well I checked on him a bit later and there were large blood drops all over the bottom and the inside of his wing was a sticky matted bloody mess. Emergancy time, we went to the after hours ICU and they made she he wasnt bleeding anymore and cleaned of as much of the blood as they could ($100, but worth it) I was so stressed and so relieve he had stopped bleeding i forgot to ask if there was anything I should do for him. He is very quiet this morning and we are about to see if he will eat some egg, is there anything I should do for him after the blood loss? Give him more of some food to help him recover? Or just leave him alone so he can recuperate? I'm going to call the vet but it takes a while to get called back (he works at the university as a teacher also) and I have class soon. Thanks for the help!

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: Bleeding (stopped now)

Gosh, I am so sorry about your ordeal. I bet you and your beloved had some evening. Glad he is resting now.

Thanks

Keep him warm, make sure food and whater are where he can get to them really easyly... I've heard that at a time like that you should cut back on veggies and fresh stuff a little and feed foods that could supply more energy, like seeds.

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

i'd say keep him quiet and warm, and offer anytign he'll eat!
    it may not have been a whole lot of blood, but when ya think about how much blood they HAVE in the first place, he's probably lost a fair amount! make sure he ALWAYS has pleanty of clean fresh water, as being low in blood he could dehydrate easily. and by all means give him vegies and such, they tend to have higher water content so will help get his blood levels back up. keep a close eye on him, and if he gets any worse call the vet. having lost so much blood he could be suseptible to any virus or anything that comes along. so just give him LOTS of good old TLC (tender loving care) and pamper him! don't let him fly about, he wont' have the energy, let him out if he wants out, but keep him quiet and calm.
    good luck!

FD

Remove Ads