Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Green Cheek Conure: Male/Female

I'm in the process of deciding b/w a green cheek and meyers parrot (another post "Green Cheek vs Meyers"), but have been leaning towards a conure because I thought it might be a little more adaptable and slightly easier to care for.

I've asked a breeder whether or not he notices any difference between males and females as far as frequency of noise and also personality/agression. He says he doesn't, but then again, sometimes breeders have so many birds, that it's not really possible to distinguish the noise and other characteristics into sexes.

I cared for a male parrotlet and then owned a female parrotlet. I know the male loved to chatter and chirp (pretty sounds) and the female was basically silent except for the occassional chirp or a squawk when she wanted attention. I know males (of many types of animals) are a lot of times more laid back than the more high strung females. But other times females are less active and so more cuddly. Sometimes males have more aggression or even territoriality for a female owner. And a lot of times the male is the way to go because females have such aggression with nesting habits.

I know it's stupid to ask 'is male or female best?' I know I like both male/female pets. I do take the sex into consideration a lot of times, depending on the animal, I might get a male because he will be more outgoing or a more cuddly female, or I might get a male for a more laid back personality. But aren't there differences in the specific areas of noise frequency and aggression (sometimes general personality) in GCCs? Please respond if you have had experience with both males and females or if you think a trait of your GCC might be common to its sex.

I completely understand that individuality trumps all, but there is something to be said for generalities when doing research prior to adoption. I know I'll love the bird no matter what, and don't worry about me taking opinions as hard facts.

As I do not have much opportunity to interact with many different GCCs, I'd appreciate your experience and insight.

Thanks!
    Last edited by QuilaBird; 05-09-2006 at 12:39 AM.

Name
    Hillari
    Thanks

Re: Green Cheek Conure: Male/Female

No, theres really no difference between male and female in Green CHeeks. Of course, females may get more hormonal and nesty during that season, but that goes with any species. It's not like budgies and tiels, when one is more cuddle or talkative. Sex is not a factor in this species.

I'm sure someone will elaborate on this one tomorrow.

"Loss is nothing else but change, and change is Nature's delight."
    -
    Marcus Aurelius

Proud mum of; Penny the Linnie, Tegan the BCC

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Like Hillari said, there isn't much of a difference.

What do you mean "easier to care for"? Birds aren't easy pets. Both a meyers and green cheek need fresh foods, a large cage, a good vet, quality pellets and seed, as well as toys.

UTSA Roadrunners '11 Fledgeling miss_emily07's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

There isn't really much of a difference besides that one lays eggs and the other doesn't...I myself am a female fan...and I have no idea why. I am a sexist person when it comes to pets *shrugs*
    Yours Truely, Emily

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

Thanks for the help, guys! I just wanted to be sure and confirm what I'd heard for the reasons I posted.

And btw, I knew I shouldn't have put 'easier to care for' right after I posted b/c I knew it would send out the wrong idea. I am well aware that the actual maint. and care for birds is always more complicated than a lot of pets. What I really meant by that is that I thought GCCs seemed to be a little more easy-going in terms of adapting to situations and new environments/ppl; thus less feathre plucking (tho I know GCCs can do it too); thus less worry and easier to 'care' for. This said, I know very well every one is an individual and product of socialization and if I happened to get a nervous, shy little GCC that didn't like new things at all, ever, then I'd be happy to give him a nice sheltered life. On the other hand if he enjoyed interacting, I'd be comfortable keeping him out and around guests. I made this distinction b/w meyers and GCCs b/c I'd read a lot more about feather plucking with meyers than a GCC.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

actually in terms of the two species you are considering, i would say the meyers is more mellow & adaptable. green cheeks are very "uppity" and require constant boundaries.

Egg's Cracking... parrotly wild's Avatar
    Name
    Kim Lance
    Thanks

I have never known the sex of our conures. Never thought on wether females are easier than males. That is a neat idea. I know female dogs are easier and I prefer mares to geldings on horses. Thanks for the idea!

We know who owns who!!

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

in parrots, each sex has its own set of "issues". both can be difficult. hens, when sexually stimulated, can lay which can cause serious health issues. in some species the hen is quite aggressive, which can lead to biting.

many cocks get territorial around their cages & such. it leads to biting.

both require patience and education.