Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: foster family update & questions

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

update 6/14/04

this morning, uno is looking so much older!

he weighed 56 g with an empty crop, and has pin feathers everywhere! he has a little squat tail of them, his crest continues to get bigger, the ones on his wings are LOOOONG, and he's starting to get them on his face, neck, and back.

he's also so frigging adorable i can't stand it! he looks at me and cocks his head & i just melt.

dando continues to charm me as well. he calls for me, and when he hears the shower he calls even more insistently. he doesn't bathe in his (rather large) water dish, so maybe i'll try misting him until i can take him out of the cage.

his little dance is now a clever ploy to keep me in the room (it works much of the time) and he will take a piece of chard from my hands through the bars (but not without the bars). he's getting bolder, coming closer every day to my hands.

btw, mowsie- if you ever make it out to the bay area, let me know & we can have coffee! i'll introduce you to my little family!

oh- and in the "other parrots" forum, i'll be posting updates about the rescue macaws that i am helping to socialize once a week- if you are interested in rescue, training, and macaws, be sure to tune in!
    10 PM

uno is 74 grams, with a mostly full crop. his feathers are even longer than this morning. i just cannot believe how fast he is growing. it's like something out of godzilla or something!:haha

Name
    dani
    Thanks

update 6/15/04

at 6:33 AM:

uno weighed 63 g with an empty crop. he looks at me with such curiosity, and his wings & legs go flailing about as i transport him fom nestbox to scale! i try & support him, but his legs are never where i think they are gonna be!

dando isn't using his roosting perch, & i think it's because i put it on the cage wall closest to the doors. this morning i moved it to the far side, where that treat cup is. (the treat cup was returned, clean, but lower than an actual perch i added.)

dando didn't eat his sprouted seeds (bummer, since they are more nutritious than plain seed), but i am trying again today. he loves organic cheerios & seed, red chard, and doesn't yet eat pellets, mango, or sprouts.

(btw, i always wash the sprouts with vinegar water before feeding, to get off any bacteria that may have made its way onto the food while sprouting. i use organic apple cider vinegar diluted in water, then rinse again in water so they aren't too acidic.)

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

re: Foster Family Update

Dani, coffee sounds AWSOME. I happen to be a coffee fiend.. and the more mocha that is in it.. the better. LOL I was just out in February in San Fran but the next vacation I plan, I'll be sure to let you know. :-) I'd love to meet your family. I'll be sure to bring pics of Apache and Neo. (And the two other Tiels I may be adopting if Neo gets better).

Pellets. Ahh.. Pellets. Yes.. the war with Pellets. Apache won't touch them with a ten foot pole. She'll eat veggies. Maybe picks at raisens.. the dryer the better... but FORGET the pellets. I even tried hiding green pellets in green beans. Yah.. right. LOL I am still experimenting with pellet brands.. but so far.. no dice.

Hmmm.. never tried sprouting seeds. I bet she'd eat em. She likes anything "hanging" like that. She "preens" and eats cilantro. So far..that seems to be the overwhelming favorite food with my teils. Neo gets SO MAD when he sees cilantro going into Apache's cage before he gets his.. but because of his quarentine status.. she gets her food and water before he gets his.

I can't WAIT to see pictures of lil Uno! My friend has tiel eggs (Neo's parents) so it'll be so cute to see a lil baby tiel! I bet lil Uno is just DARLING! My friend says that she has offered bran flakes to her tiels and they LOVE them.

Dando may take some time to get used to his new perch. Tiels are odd creatures sometimes when it comes to what they sleep on. I've caught Apache sleeping on her water dish when she has a perfectly good sleeping perch that she uses too. Poor Dando.. he probably just doesn't know WHAT to do with a CLEAN perch!

Name
    Christy
    Thanks

Re: re: Foster Family Update

Yes, my tiels LOVED the bran flakes from my raisin bran cereal! LOL...I was eating breakfast and thought, hmmm...wonder if they would eat them. Placed a few in the cage and they weren't shy about munching on them! hehe

Regarding pellets, I was told and am not saying this is truth or not, but I was going to change my birds to an all pelleted diet. But I was told as long as they get fresh veggies and fruit (mine have yet to eat fruit...but maybe a lil' bit of orange) and seed that I wouldn't need to put them on an all pellet diet. I was encouraged to get some pellets and put them in a "treat" dish for them. I did, and they do occasionally eat it, but they certainly don't care for it like they do their fresh veggies. The person that told me about this was likening an all pellet diet to only giving our children vitamins. He asked me "would you have your child only have vitamins or would you supplement their diet w/vitamins but also have them eat their veggies and fruit?"...made sense to me.

Name
    dani
    Thanks

pellets

no pellets aren't like vitamins, they are more broad based than that. my avaian vet says a diet should be 75% pellets, & the remaining 25%should be greens, veggies, grains, & seeds- in that order.

seeds are what a lot of birds eat, but they are fattening- they are mainly a "bulk up for the winter" kind of food.

so i give pellets every day, and fresh something every day, and seeds (whether sprouted or dry) several times a week.

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: pellets

Dani's right- pellets seem to be best compared to kibble for dogs; that's the closest comparison I know of.

Name
    dani
    Thanks

update 6/18/04

uno is up to 71 g with an empty crop, and has pin feathers almost everywhere! "he" is a cute lil thing! i am wondering when he will attempt to leave the nestbox now, because that cues me changing their horrible cage. (yay!)

dando is getting more attached to me (or to people in general). last nite, as an experiment, i left his cover only on three sides, so he could see me after dark.

i read on my bed & dozed while an attentive dando looked on. rather than sleeping on his roost perch (he does use that now that i moved it to the other side, away from the doors) or that old treat cup, he opted for the rope perch- the closest thing to me while he's in his cage. i talked to him now and again & slept in front of him- a sign of my trust.

i was so touched that he stayed at that spot all night! when i rose this AM, he was still there, and greeted me with a sweet smile &. PROGRESS!

last nite, i treated all the birds to hard boiled egg, and this AM, they all got beets. everyone but muttonchop are mad about beets! their face feathers get pink & they look like little piggies.

btw, i gave dando a mist bath in his cage, and he LOOOVED it! he spread his wings over his head & allowed me to mist him directly and under his wings, on his back after he ruffled the top feathers, all the sensitive downy spots. he must have felt pretty grubby.

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: update 6/18/04

AWWW!!!!! He sounds JUST like Apache getting a mist bath!!! She LOVES her baths and Neo hasn't quite figured out what they're for yet. He just runs around the bottom of his cage like a chicken with his head.. well.. never mind.... :haha

The more I hear about Dando.. the more I wish I lived in CA! I'd adopt that Tiel so fast you wouldn't EVER have to worry as to whether or not he'd have a good home! I'm attached just hearing about him and I wonder how hard its gonna be for you to part with him. You've worked SO HARD to gain his trust. I'm betting dollars to donuts you end up adopting him. LMAO

Beats huh? Hmmm. I wonder what Neo and Apache would think of beats. Yesterday was "Kale" day. Neo dug it.. Apache turned her beak up. Today was bell pepper. Not an overwhelming favorite with either tiel. I may try dicing it in a treat cup this time instead of julienne shreds (How I normally serve veggies). They may not have liked the consistency that way. I did notice the seeds on Neo's were gone though, however, Apache's was untouched.

Uno sounds so cute!!!! Is he still on all "dando food" or can he experiment with treats yet? Has he wobbled outside of the nestbox yet? How old are Tiels before they learn to stand up and don't need to be "incubated" by a parent during the night?

Tell me how its going trying to get Dando to eat Pellet. So far.. I've been COMPLETELY unsuccessful trying to get Apache to eat it. She was fed seed at Petco and it had some sort of pellet IN the seed mix, but we all know what birds do. They pick out the seed and leave the pellet. She won't go near a pellet dish to save her life. She'll eat veggies and she gets SOME kind of veggie every day.. but I'm wondering how to get her interested in pellets.

Name
    dani
    Thanks

Talking update 6/20/04

today dando hung on the side of the cage and couldn't wait for me to put his seed down, so he nibbled from the crock while i still held it. even though i was in a rush, i calmly stayed with him, as this is the closest he has come to my hands & i wanted him to like it.

this week, i am getting a better cage for the two of them- YAY! and i have already gotten a platform to help the chick & have joined a cockatiel breeders yahoo group, who have been helping me with my chick questions. the chick should be trying to get out of the nestbox soon, which is why i am getting the new cage this week.

uno is up to 80g, but hasn't left the nestbox yet. the first set of photos i took didn't turn out, so i have some new rolls in development & will post them when i can.

today is the day that i go to san jose to socialize with the foster macaws & will be posting an update afterwards in the "other parrots" forum.

and good news all around: i am getting to foster a jenday conure named coby. she was part of the mickaboo bird eduaction class i took earlier in the year (in order to be a foster mom), so she has passed quarantine & can go into the living room right away (won't muttonchop be surprised! lol! he is NOT a bird-bird. he is a people-bird. he'll adjust & be the better for it...)

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: foster family update & questions

AWW! Sounds like Dando is coming along more and more every day, especially now that Uno is getting less dependant on needing him in the nest box every waking second! Soon, Uno will be able to join Dando outside the cage! How exciting to be able to FINALLY get them out of that grubby cage and into a safe clean habitat. It'll be a relief for you because I know its been bothering you.

I went to Mickaboo and saw your Coby! She's a beaut! I hope she'll be able to re-grow her feathers. Poor little darling! Will she have to wear a sweater or a collar to curb her plucking habit or will she just learn not to pluck with the proper attention? It'll be exciting to hear the stories of how Mutton and Coby get along with one another since she won't have to be quarentined inside your house. :-) Good luck with your new Foster Addition. She's a pretty girl!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

i'll have to see about coby & her feathers. she may have plucked to the point of no return, but who knows?

i am misting the foster macaws with aloe spray, & their feathers are coming back nicely!

yeah, uno's feather pins are starting to split on the tips on his wings, and he is now tall enough that he can peep at dando and me through the hole. it's only a matter of time before he has the strength to come out!

uno is now 80-89 grams, depending on when i weigh him. it's now harder to tell when his crop is full, as he is a little porcupine bird.

dando likes nothing better than to have me read in bed. he loves passive attention. what a mellow sweetie!

Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Dando is a pied right? I wonder what mommy was? I'm SO curious to hear what lil Uno is gonna turn out to be! I'm sure you've read that my friend's tiels are about to hatch a batch. When you got Uno and his clutch mates.. did they have any fuzz at all on them or were they completely bald and pink?

I'm SO glad that Dando had turned out so well and he's seeminly healthy despite the roughshod condition of his original cage. The more you post.. the more his personality comes through. :-)
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

dando is a gorgeous light pied:
    he has variations of grey with creamy butter yellow and cream in the body, bright lemon yellow head & crest (that is improbably long and curly!) and white wings.

when i got the chicks, two had fuzzy yellow down (uno & dos), one was pink. the pink one (tres) got fuzzy yellow down right before s/he died.

i'm not sure what mom was, i i don;t think we'll ever know. i don't know enough about genetics to say. but i'm thinking she was a mutation, because uno is either pied or normal...

you should move to california- we can have birdie play dates & you'll adopt dando! then i won't have to worry about who he's going to!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

update 6/24/04

so yesterday was a chaotic day in our little birdie household. not only did i get a new foster conure (Coby), which made my cats freak at the noise & Muttonchop jealous as all get out,

but the new cage arrived for Dando & Uno, & decided to change it now, instead of waiting for the baby to come out of the nestbox (better he should start in the cage he's staying in, was my thinking).

so i started by putting in some elements that were not in their first cage (a large platform to help the baby out before perching, for example) & then removing all the toys & perches i was transferring to the new cage, which freaked dando out, and made him flap frantically. i was reassuring, but he's not a tame bird (yet) and so it was scary.

then i removed the nest box. i HAD to clean out that thing. it had never been cleaned since uno's hatching, and it was YUCKY! after i cleaned it out, i out it in the cage, & put uno back in it. i put a washcloth in front of it, under the perch, so that the fall won't be so hard. dando freaked further, and that alarm translated to the baby, so it huddled into my bed & shook. poor little thing!

then i had to get dando out. as i say, he is NOT a tame bird. his wings aren't clipped either, so i had to be sure i had a good grip on him in the transfer (but not strangle him) and the cage he was in was not condusive to getting him out. i had to unhook the cage from the bottom pan & lift half the cage up, him clinging to the opposite side & hope he didn't flap my way & fly out. zoiks!

after a few attempts, i got him toweled, but i didn't get enough between me & his beak, cuz darn if he doesn't bite hard! i had to let him go, or risk losing skin, so i got a better grip & he couldn't bite at me & i quickly transferred him to the new cage. he was soooo still in the new cage. scared & winded no doubt.

i think he was relieved too. he was back in a cage with his baby & safe. he started investigating soon after, trying out his manzanita perch first. i don't think he's eve seen a natural wood perch in his life. he checked in on uno (like a good dad) and then i coevered them for a while.

when i went to bed, i decided to lift the covers on the front, as i have been for about a week now, so he could see us sleep. i think he likes that. and i wanted to show him that even though some of his environment was new, not all was different.

this morning, i fed him first (as usual, since i have to wash up after working with him to play/work/feed my other birds) & then went to attend to the 4 (!) birds in the living room. as i was passing by the bedroom, i heard him SINGING!!! i have never heard him sing before. it was a beautiful and elaborate song. he stopped when he saw me. then later when i passed by again, he was singing again, looking into the nestbox (singing to his baby?).

i guess this proves that dando is indeed a male. i'm glad he adjusted so well to this dramatic change! yay dando!

Name
    dani
    Thanks

i have stopped weighing uno, as s/he is stable & feathered! yay!

last nite when i pulled her/him out of the nestbox, her/his pins had split on the wings and tail (but not the crest, making for a cute punk look). s/he is so adorable. s/he looked up at my wife & me with these eyes... i can't describe it- many people know what "puppy dog eyes" means, but i have to tell ya, this bird has puppies beat!

every pic i have taken of dando & uno has NOT turned out, darn it! dando is scared of the camera (noise & flash) so they are blurry, and the light in my bedroom is not very bright. i also don't have a digital, so i don't find out til a week later. grrr. gonna try & borrow a friends camera next week & get these pix done (for you all AND mickaboo)!

dando is no longer sleeping/incubating uno in the nestbox, but rather is sleeping on a roost perch. i'm thinking that's dad's way of saying "time to come out of there". since uno now has insulation, i think i may turn off the heating pad that has been under the cage/nestbox area all this time.

i am going to a local bird store today (uh oh- kaching! i can never leave those places without plunking down serious dough...) to get some baby friendly cage acoutrements: (as well as stuff for everyone else! lol!) i already have a platform, but am thinking about easy to grip smaller perches for low in the cage and maybe baby sized toys.

dando- i can't wait to socialize with him! he is really craving it, calling for me when he hears me in the house. he likes me to stay in the bedroom, so i have taken to reading in there, rather than the living room. (this of course, causes muttonchop & coby (but not the budgies- they live in a magical playground where i only exist to feed, water, & transport them to their playgym... lol) to call for me from the living room.

when baby needs less attention (when s/he starts to eat non-regurgitated food) i will lock the cats out of the bedroom (oh, the injustice!), clip dando's wings, and start gaining his trust outside the cage. he doesn't even know "step up" fer pete's sake. i think he will make someone a fine bird, though. he loves company & being a little dancing clown. that shows intellect & sociability.

Remove Ads