where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: fertile eggs

Always Awing Tailfeather featherjinxer's Avatar
    Name
    fj
    Thanks

Re: fertile eggs

Hold them up to a flashlight-you will able to see the veins and such.
    Since they are this developed, I am not sure that will work, but I am sure someone can help if not.

Are you sure you have a male and a female? Have they been DNA sexed? It could be two females.

Thanks

Ok, at this stage, it would be best to just leave the birds to it. If none of the eggs are fertile, the parents will lose interest in them in about a week or two. Then, if nothing hatches in that time, take the eggs out and break them to see if they were fertile. Warning - they may be rotten :/
    If the birds have another clutch, you can 'candle' the egg after it's about a week old. Shine a light through it, like a flashlight or a penlight, and you should be able to see veins forming inside the egg if it is fertile. It's also a good idea to mark the eggs with a non-toxic marker or a pensil so you know the order they were laid and the age of all eggs, you can't see much in a new egg even if it is fertile...
    Oh, and are you sure your birds are a male and a female? How old are they?

josie

Yes, DizzyDezzy's advice is good.

If your parent birds don't mind you messing with their eggs, you might try holding each one up to your ear to see if you can hear the chick wriggling about, pipping with its little egg tooth or even making little peeping sounds. At 20 days, if the eggs are fertile and a chick is about to hatch, you will likely hear something. If you hear any of this, try to keep the room where the eggs are humidified, with a humidifier or by simmering pots of water on the stove or whatever. If the air is too dry, the chicks might not be able to hatch and will die in the shell. Most importantly, make sure the parent birds have access to an open water dish or bath at all times so they can drip water over their breasts to help keep up humidity in the nest.

If the parent birds do mind you messing with their eggs, just leave them alone and do as DizzyDezzy said. Better to be in suspense and leave the parents to tend to the eggs than to have them abandon the eggs!

lutinotielowner05

fertile eggs

i have 2 lutino cockatiels and they have seven eggs in their nest box. It had been about 20 days, and none of them are hatched. how do i tell of the egss are fertile?

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

at 20 days, candling will result in a totaly black egg that loght won't go through. an unfertile egg will sorta glow when ya shine a light through it, a fertile egg early on will show veins, then a dark mass, which grows, and eventualy it's all dark; the chick. if the egg 'glows' and light passes through it, the eggs will be infertile. if you can see 'something' or nothing, it's fertile!
    but yeah, i'd say just wait and see, it won't be long now! if they're gonna hatch soon you won't even need to hold up the egg to hear it peeping! thats usualy only a few hours before they hatch though.

FD

Thanks

infertile eggs, or ones that had a chick developing and it died, sometimes rott and still look dark when you candle them. So I think since it's been 20 days, the best way would be to wait and see.
    Also, is it 20 days since the first egg or the last egg? eggs usually hatch after about 18 days, but because tiels lay an egg every second day, each chick will arrive every second day. The 18 days is from the beginning of incubation, and many tiels will not start sitting on the eggs until they have 3...

mrshud

If it helps at all my chicks started to hatch from about the 24th to 26th day figuring from the time the first one was laid.Instead of trying to figure out when the mom started sitting on the nest really tight.When you figure the mom, as mentioned will start sitting tight after 2-3 eggs have been laid. This seemed to help me out a little bit easier in determining when the first egg should start to hatch. When you examine the eggs if any of them are peeping from inside you won't even need to take the egg out to know if they are about to hatch you will be able to hear them easily.
    also as was mentioned above the egg will be dark in color if the egg is good. I use a meglite pocket flashlight to candle my eggs. It doesn't get to warm for the egg and it's bright enough to show what's going on inside. Also what is really neat is when they are a little younger in development you can actually see them moving around in the egg. It's harder to see them move when they are taking up most of the egg but still possible if your patient. Hatch can take 24 to 48 hours to complete from the time that you hear them peeping, but once they are ready that can take as little as 15 to a half hour for them to cut around the egg. One minute you'll look in the box and the chick only has a little hole in the egg and the next minute the chic is out and completely dry. Also when candling if the egg seems dark the only best way to view the chick is through the air cell.
    Keep us posted!!!!
    Oh, one last thing when you candle the eggs try to put them right back in the same spot that you took it from making sure the air cell is up.

Remove Ads