Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bath time help..

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sherri
    Thanks

Bath time help..

Hi,
    I have a question about baths. It is still a bit chilly here in ohio (around 55) and Toby seems to get chilled easy. We gave him his first bath and he got chilled even though the water was warm and the house is kept warm as well (around 72).

I used the blow dryer on warm and low, made sure to keep moving it until he was dry, but he still got chilled from the bath.

So my question to all you is how do you give baths without the bird getting chilled. If there is no way to avoid it, what is better waiting until the tempature warms to give him a bath or giving him a bath and trying to keep him as warm as possible.

~Sherri~

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Re: Bath time help..

I don't really have an answer as to what is right. But I think you can give him a bath as long as it's warm in your house, even if it's cold outside. When we give Peaches a bath, I try to wrap him in a towel afterwards and rub him down a little but he doesn't like to be held like that so he wiggles his way out. I do it a couple of times to get as much as I can off him, but then I just let him preen on his own and air dry. I've used the blow dryer a few times but he just looks at me like "are you crazy, lady?" and runs up to my shoulder. I don't think he hates it, but he doesn't like it either. He does like to take a bath though. If it's 72 in your house, he shouldn't be chilled too much. Just because he's a bit puffy afterwards, I don't think that means he's freezing. I think he's just puffing up to dry off.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Dave
    Thanks

Let me guess, you think he's cold after hsi bath because he's shivering?

Apperantly, birds will shiver and shimmy their feathers in their feather tracks as a means to help them dry.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Tim & Jen
    Thanks

We still can't get Fluffy to bathe....so consider yourself lucky!!! I've tried everything I can think of......so I just started misting her....she hates it....she hisses at me when I do it!! She ABSOLUTELY refuses to take a bath!!!! It's like a little kid....."No....I'm not taking a bath tonight...I'm not dirty", as you look at them with a big dirt streak across their face!!!!

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

You might try adjusting the water temperature. Some birds like cold water (why, who knows) others like it warmer. Try different containers too- a baking pan works well, as does a lower Tupperware container. Try throwing in some lettuce leaves. I have one bird that won't bathe unless it is with 'salad'.

You can also try misting some parsley sprigs and clipping it to the side of the cage- some birds like to 'bathe' that way.

Regarding the temperature, unless the room is really cold, as in too cold for you, it should be fine to give him a bath. You could buy a heat lamp that clips on to the cage and turn it on when he is done bathing so he can warm up if he wants to- but make sure there is also a cool spot in the cage so he doesn't become overheated. Or put a bird cozy hut in his cage and he can climb into it if he is cold.
    Last edited by Lovebirdfan; 05-17-2006 at 10:41 PM.

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

We use a glass pie plate for our birds. It is shallow enough that they are not scared. Tori does not like being misted but she runs right over when we bring a pie plate with fresh water. Unfortunately, she doesn't roll around in it enough. She just wades and gets her belly wet and dips her head in but her back never gets wet. Right now she just got done sitting on eggs (a huge problem!) and she has a green tail basically because she was pooped on by the parakeets sitting above her. I don't know how to clean her up. She looks really scruffy right now. I finally got all the pin feathers scritched off her head (along with a few chunks of poop there too) but she won't let us mess with any part of her except her head.

I love my bird! Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Chelsea
    Thanks

When I bathe WIlson I take him in the shower and bathe him in there with warm water. Then I put him on a shower perch to start drying off still with the water running but him out from under and water. Then I turn the water off but leave him in the shower until he is almost completely dry. That way he can dry off in the warm shower. After he is almost dry i take him upstairs and let him finish drying.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

the birds are bathing outside (even if you don;t see them do it), so it is not too cold for your bird. as someone mentioned, the shiver to get warm, it is an auto-reponse- it does not indicate suffering.

we as humans are chilly when we first come out of the shower, too. but it is not unbearable. the rule is- if we are comfortable with the house temp, so are our birds.

Remove Ads