Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: the price of ignorance

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Exclamation the price of ignorance

So today I'm leavings work and just outside the door are two sparrows, which is not unusual there are nesting in the store sign. These two particular sparrow didn't move though, they just sat there. I took a step forward and they jumped, and that is when i noticed that they were STUCK TOGETHER, some idiot had tossed some sort of nylon thread onto the street and the birds had gotten caugth up badly. So I chased after the two, and it was the most pathetic thing I have ever seen. The birds more or less rolled over each other or one dragged the other, finnally they got caugth up in some bushes and I was able to capture them. The female had the string wrapped around her wing and the male around his neck. We cut the two apart and one of the girls held the male while i untangled the female, she was so wound up that I had to cut off some down to get the thread loose . Meanwile the male starts,,and flies out of Jodi's hand a nd flies into a window, gets knocked out. We get him and cut off the remaining thread but he is out cold. So we take both birds outside and the female flies away, the male takes awille to come around flies and drops, he is exhausted, but something else is wrong, he can't stand. His feet are messed when he crashed into the window he must have damaged something. I catch him again (poor guy) and check him out nothing seems to be broken or dislocated but his legs and feet cannot hold onto a perch. I decied to bing him home for the night and left seeds for the female, since they morethen likely have chicks rigth now.

I'm hoping the paralasys is temporary , because there is nothing more that I want to do then let him back with his family.

So anybody have any idea what I should do? He is obviouly seperated from my birds, he is wild and may have nasty bugs or worse. But what if he doesn't get better? If I leave him in this state outside a cat will get him in about a minute. And because he is a wild bird a vet can't treat him because technicaly you can't keep wild animals without a permit.

So HELP!!! I don't know what to do!

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Re: the price of ignorance

Poor guy!! That's just awful! It's great you were around to help them! I would take the male to a wildlife rehab center. Hopefully they'll be able to help him.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Sometimes vets can treat them. We had a little girl down the road that hit a pigeon with a rock and knocked it out. My daughter came running home with it so we called out local vet and he was able to treat him. It turned out he was fine just got a knock to the head and the next morning we were able to let him go and he flew off, perfectly fine. Have you called any local vets? It may be worth a try...

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

What I did when I first came across a situation like this is I called my vet, and they gave me the number for the nearest animal rescue. Most animal rescues will send people to pick the animal up themselves, which is ideal because it's better for "untrained" people to handle injured animals as little as possible.

So yeah, I'd call your vet and see if they can give you a number. If they're closed right now, your phone book should do the trick. If you can't find one there, a lot of "animal removal" services in the phone book are listed as 24-hour services, so they might also be able to direct you to the correct organization.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

An animal refuge and/or a vet should be able to give you instructions. The refuge might not take the bird in, though, because they often deal primarily with larger animals. VINS (the raptor center in VT) winds up putting down lots of robins turned their each year, so check to make sure what they do with songbirds if they do take him.

Bless you for helping. Poor 'lil guys.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Where The Birds Always Sing Tailfeather Birdmad Girl's Avatar
    Name
    Lee-Anne
    Thanks

I agree with others. Try phoning around some vets for advice on who would treat this bird. There might be an animal shelter or rescue place that treats them who would come and pick him up.

Try to keep him as still and as warm as possible in the meantime. He sounds like he took quite a bit of impact, and could have had some bleeding on the brain. Hopefully he is suffing from shock and will improve with time and rest.

Best of luck, and good on you for untangling those two little birds.

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Update: I checked on him this morning and his left leg seems usless his eye was also swollen shut so I rinsed it out (I have done this before on birds) other then his leg and eye everthing else seems ok.
    There is an animal rescue group nearby in Guelph unfortunatly they lost most of their funding recently and can no longer accept injured birds for treatment, the next neartest it toronto or woodbridge, woodbridge is the only one that I was able to talk to someone but they are over an 1 1/2 hours away and I have to work today. Right now I'm debating what to do, I can call work and show up very late, or I can release him. He can stand and hop on his good leg but the immobile one is throwing him off balance.

- Fledgeling
    Thanks

Mary Jo, you should be able to take him in to a vet to get checked out and explain that rehab did not take him, but you want to make sure there is nothing you can do to help before letting him go. Most good vets will treat him at your expense and let you take him back where you found him. I've never seen any vet that I worked with who refused the treatment or sighted the law if you make it clear - you want this bird out in the wild asap and rehab refused him becuase he is small. The law is to keep wild in the wild, not to deny help, and no good vet will deny treatment/help to a conserned citizen that will let the bird out in the wild asap if no other options are awailable.
    It is not helping that it's a weekend... but there is a bitter truth - you might not be able to save his leg because he might have had it tied up too long to cause circulotary problems...
    What I would do: (I am a licensed rehabber, but if a vet tells me that is the case with the leg), I would keep him for about 3 days depending on his eye situation. If his leg will not get better - at least you will give him time to learn to live with it and adjust his balance as well as not have to search for food. I am taking it as you know how to deal with eye situation, so I don't need to tell you that - it would be optimal to have eye healed before you let him out, because a bad leg and bad eye may be just too much. AT thi point he will not be helping his family anyway- as you know sick birds just sit and look big to trick the preditors.
    So, get his eye working, if the leg comes around - wonderful, if not - give him time to learn to live with it. It would be great if you can get him to a vet that will treat him for free due to current rehab situation, make it clear the bird goes outside asap. Show your knowledge with birds and you will have no problems. Good luck.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

yes, hopefully the species is a native one, as many non-native species are refused at wildlife rehabs. here is a website in case that happens. it focuses on starlings, but mentions house sparrows, too:

http://www.starlingtalk.com/

Name
    Mary Jo
    Thanks

Ok update! sorry it took so long but the Toronto wildlife centre called me back and I was able to take him there. As I suspected his leg was not broken or dislocated but it was most likely the head trauma that caused the foot to not work properly, so they have him now. Once he is better, i will be able to go get him again and release him where i found him. The vet there was optimistic that he will get better, in just the few minutes he was there he was improving his balance, and after i had cleaned up his eye it didn't puss up again at all. So yay!

So with any luck they will be calling me in the next week or so, if he doesn't do well I may not find out untill october!
    So the little guy is in good hands now and hopefully will get to go home soon!

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

Oh, that's great! It's good his leg wasn't broken, hopefully, you'll be able to release him soon.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Poor bird, hopefully he will get all better and you will get the call telling you to come pick him up soon. He is lucky you found him and were willing to help him out, many people would have just looked away:-( Let us know any news about him if you hear back from them.