Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: foot problem

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Arrow foot problem

hi... just a quick question. there are no avian vets that i'm aware of here (anchorage, alaska), and the vet we went to didn't seem to know a whole lot about birds in general.

my cockatiel has recently been having some problems with her feet. instead of the usual X shape they're supposed to make, they form more of a V, because 2 of the toes will end up going the wrong direction (they've gone both all forward and all backward). this is causing a lot of problems for her - she can hardly walk, can't get onto her food and water dishes, or climb up to her perches. she's just been sitting down on the bottom of her cage. i've got her right now in a decent sized see-through tub lined with a towel, there's a heating pad underneath the towel on 1 half, and i put some multivitamin-laced (doctor's orders) water and food in tupperware lids on the other half. i can get pictures up if that would be helpful, has anyone seen this or have any suggestions ? i don't really have a clue what to do and she seems very frustrated with her current state of affairs

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: foot problem

Sorry I have know advice,but there is a member from Anchorage ,so hopefully she will see this and knows a vet in your area that knows more about birds.
    Sounds like you are doing the right things for her.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

Her/his name is Ashley and nickname is Alasea.

Perhaps you can go to the Members' List and send a personal message to him/her?
    RIP Topsie (Maltese) - "my lappoppie"
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you've lived --
    this is to have succeeded. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

rescue ranger Egg's Cracking... Alasea's Avatar
    Name
    ashley
    Thanks

Hello and Welcome to Tailfeathers!

My name is Ashley and I also live in the Anchorage area. I can't for the life of me remember the name of the avian vet, but I can tell you where her office is located and give you the phone number. (I always have it on a sticky right next to my desk just in case I need to call or need to get there in a hurry...I drew a map and everything rofl! Can't be too careful)

Alaska Pet Care
    3900 Lake Otis PKWY

562-7387

There are at least two avian vets there that I have talked to who have helped me through difficult situations. I highly suggest giving them a call and setting up an appointment for your little one. Hopefully nothing major is wrong, maybe a broken toe or something to that effect. I know how difficult it can be to deal with a bird with foot problems. One of my rescue tiels has deformed feet with missing toes and the like. Not a pretty picture! He's happy and healthy though, I bet he doesn't even realize he has anything wrong!

You seem to have taken all of the right steps by setting up a hospital cage and putting her in it until you can get some help. I suggest putting in a small cuddly toy too, maybe a small teddy bear or a small snuggle hut in one of the corners...That seems to help sometimes.

Anyway, hope everything goes well for you and your baby. It's always nice meeting a fellow bird lover from AK. The only other one I know is McDenny and we barely see eachother! Please keep us updated and feel free to PM me anytime! I check this forum many times a day(probably too many lol) so I should get any message reasonably quick. I'm sitting in on an elementary school field trip today so I won't be back until probably 3-3:30 but I'll check back here as soon as I get home.

GOOD LUCK!! =)

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

thanks for your responses, my mom took ours in to see the avian vet today, they're going to do some blood work i guess. was getting worried a bit because she was getting so skinny, wasn't eating her food. we ended up putting a pile of millet in there with her last night and she didn't stop eating until i went to bed (haha). i also forced a few eyedropperful's of water down her, and this morning she seemed to be doing a lot better, but we took her in anyways. thanks again =)

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

I'm very happy to know that your lil one is seeing a vet.

Please let us know how she's doing. What's her name?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

hey... just thought i'd give an update...
    we took her into the vet, she had some blood work done (name is skittles, by the way), and it turns out her uric (think that's the word i'm looking for) acid levels were twice as high as they should have been. the vet said it was either something wrong with her kidneys, or a tumor, probably on her ovaries. we were waiting to hear back about the best thing to do (the vet had given us some meds for her on our previous visit, a milk thistle/dandelion root mixture, and another antibiotic), but unfortunately she died last night while we were sleeping =/ also, we are still unsure as to what may have caused the problems. i am leaning towards the lack of care she received for a lot of her life (she was my brother's bird)for a probable cause/contributor, as my 10 year old tiel is happy and healthy as ever. anyway, just thought i would let you all know the cause, in case it ever happens that you see this in your birds.

Banned Tailfeather Squawk and Howl's Avatar
    Name
    dani
    Thanks

wow. i'm so glad she got into see a vet then. i love the fact that we can help members from all over the world find vets & such! go TF!

rescue ranger Egg's Cracking... Alasea's Avatar
    Name
    ashley
    Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear that she died. At least you were able to give her a good home while you did and got her into see the vet.

RIP Skittles.

My thoughts are with you both.

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

I am really sorry for her death.

Name
    Estie
    Thanks

Oh, this is so sad.
    Poor Skittles

My thoughts are with you. Know that you gave him the best care in these days. You are not responsible for what happened before, and you did your best.