Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Spoiled rotten, tantrum-prone, princess budgie

I will be very impressed if there is feedback to this question...hahaha!

Help!! My yellow budgie Honey is so FULL of her herself!!

- She is the only budgie left who will not convert to pellets - she WILL eat them, but only when in the company of the other three budgies eating them.

- If she is annoyed she will fly into her food dish and kick all her seed out until someone pays attention to her! She has also attempted to turn her food dish over on ocassion, and other similarly destructive behavior.

- She BITES and chases *all* the other budgies, INCLUDING Kiwi, whom she has obviously deemed to be her partner. Watching Kiwi court her is a little sad...sometimes she's "in the mood," sometimes he gets nothing but a peck or a bite for his troubles.

- She obviously prefers living alone, so we got her her own cage; but sometimes she gets antsy and wants to come out - she will squawk and scream and rattle her cage until we take her out!

- If she's really ****** off, she will climb around crazily around her cage, do somersaults and contortions with her body along the bars, through her food dish perch, hang by one foot on the ceiling....It's so extreme sometimes I'm afraid she'll hurt herself!

- She has become nippy! She will rarely actually bite, but she will threaten you with an open beak at the slightest caress or poke!

Honey has always been sort of like this, but recently (since January?) it's gotten much worse. Her "attitude" is a bit more tolerable when she is out in the living room, away from the other budgies, and only with my boyfriend and me - but this prevents us from spending time with all tlhe other budgies! How do we compromise with this baby princess???
    Blue/Cho/Kiwi/Honey
    Be strong, Blue!

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Re: Spoiled rotten, tantrum-prone, princess budgie

Well, just like all of us girls, we all get hormonal and at different levels. She may also just be one of those girls with an attitude. Hate to say it give her an inch and she will take a mile and never look back. Is she covered 12 hours a day? What does she do if there is no seed and only pellets, fruit and veggies? Have you tried time out when she acts up? Does she get a shower at least a few times a week?
    Just somethings to think about,
    Jane

I love my budgies! Teenager jt_80's Avatar
    Name
    jt_80
    Thanks

Sounds like a pretty active budgie . Ignore her when she is "naughty" and she find that being a good little budgie will get her attention instead.
    Proud owner of Whisky and Brandy ............. Pictures availible HERE.
    December 29, 2005 ~ Our special day

And the hammy, Artermis !!! (March 13, 2006)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    kevin
    Thanks

well lorelai, sounds like you have my hen bird there, mines the same as yours everything you said mine dos as well. when they are all in the cage togeather sky will even keep moving the male budgies around untill shes got them where SHE wants them to sleep. sky must be on the highest perch and then babe on the nest lowest and then frank must be on the lowest perch before they can go to sleep. just before i cover them for the night she will watch them both to make sure they do not move!
    i have a half coconut shell in their cage which i put some small toys and things into, this is her toy the others will not touch it at all, well unless they want a beak to the head. sky has allways been like this and because i got them all from the same place at about the same time they have got used to her now. i think its a domance thing, and let them sort it out themselves.

I love Sun Kissed Birds! Baby Birds on the brain's Avatar
    Name
    Nedra
    Thanks

Yes, i have a Big scary boss lady...in my flock too!!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Hehe, she sounds a bit like my Cerulean, she is usually pretty nice, but when Aquamarine starts to get 'boyish', she'll tolerate it for a while, then, once she's had enough, give him a sound peck for his troubles

Aria, my beautiful baby cockatiel!
    (Whiteface Cinnamon Pearl Pied)

Birdyless Bird Lover Tailfeather raptorace's Avatar
    Name
    Rich
    Thanks

, who's the dwarf in your sig?!
    the other 3 look like GIANTS all staring at him/her
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Proud to have been pappa to Sweety and Sky
    Sky, Sweety, you will always be in my heart.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hahaha, good to hear we're not alone! Honey's calmed down a tad these days, but if I'm petting her and she decides she's had enough, she'll let me know!!

The little tinybird is Cho, who's not actually that tiny.... the picture just came out that way! Hehehehe.

It's so strange, Honey lives alone because she's on a seed diet and refuses to convert...the rest of the budgies are on pellet diet (mix of roudybush and some tropimix? tropi something? i got some as a free sample and they are loving it) .... but Honey has so much more energy than the rest of them.... and is far more spazzy O_o
    Blue/Cho/Kiwi/Honey
    Be strong, Blue!

Name
    Dave
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lorelai View Post
    Hahaha, good to hear we're not alone! Honey's calmed down a tad these days, but if I'm petting her and she decides she's had enough, she'll let me know!!
    nope you're not alone with this behavior, I have a hen too who is the same, I call it her little complex issue and she is like this most of the time I'de rather her be like she is than quiet and skittish, at least I know she can keep herself amused.

Egg's Cracking... applechickbsn's Avatar
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

Haha! I love the siggy pic too.....
    Samson~ The Congo African Grey Redneck. JoJo~ My Lutino cockatiel and my best friend.
    Chipper~ My little beauty that sings day and night! Meadow~ the shy one.
    Button~ Not quite the social butterfly...yet! Winston~ The newest family addition.

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

i have a sassy female, too (mina). she's very moody and demanding. most of the time i just have to ignore her!
    Mateo (cockatiel), Oliver (RIP, friend ), Mina (parakeet), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet)

Thanks

LOL funny story!

omg! my budgies look the same as yours!

My yellow one is "Lemon" and he looks just like yours...im pretty sure he is a male
    im also pretty sure he is slightly retarted...he acts very abnormally compared to the rest...but we love him just the same! Lemon is my special friend

My Budgies: Sky,Snowflake,Vanilla Bean,Marshmallow,Blueberry,Lemonpop,Pee-Wee

My Parrotlet: Sweetpea!

The ones Ive lost...I miss you so much!!!!
    Teal,Lemon,Coconut,Kiwi,Midnight,Baby Gray,Nibbles,Aqua,Cottonball,Sunshine,Fluffer,
    Powderpuff

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Janessa
    Thanks

xD She sounds so much like the first budgie I had! We bought him and tamed him without any other budgies' interference and he got really attached to me and my father... We got a second budgie a couple months later and he got really jealous of this newcomer... They got into little squabbles every nowand then, mainly over food, and whenever he wasn't out of his cage, he was inside doing flips in the corners of the cage and hanging from the ceiling and chirping like mad until we let him out... xD Spoiled little bugger, but I loved him, he was practically attached to my shoulder (or my head, or my earrings... those work too ^_^; )... ^_^; I'm sorry, your story inspired a trip down memory lane =P

Now, I guess her attitude will never really die but as far as being evil to the other budgies goes, I say seperate her from them every time she gets mean. She'll have to learn eventually that if she wants attention, she has to be good. I'm not so sure she'll have the capacity to do that but budgies never cease to amaze me, I learn something new every day ^_^ I don't know much about them as is, but hey... xD Give it a shot and let us know how she does =P