Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: I might as well just CLONE her...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    ken
    Thanks

Question I might as well just CLONE her...

Hi all - here's an odd question for all you breeders. I now have 9 parakeets,
    4 of them are the offspring from 3 successful clutches in the last year of the same breeding pair.
    She seems to start cranking out eggs in observation of all major holidays. The last bunch was, appropriately, just in time for Easter.
    My question is this - the mother, Ariel, is the SPITTING image of all 4 of her offspring, a very light greenish, mostly yellow with faint brown spotting.
    The father, WOODY, is light blue and looks NOTHING like ANY of the babies, but he is by far the prettiest of all my birds. Perfect color, and posture too. Must be all the breeding keeping him perky
    WHAT is the deal? Is Ariel capable of producing anything other than an exact xerox copy of herself? What must I do to get some blue babies?
    In case anyone cares, the babies, all Ariel clones, are named Buzz, Pandora, XL (40 in Roman numerals, because their goddaddy just had a nasty birthday) and Flymar (you try and tell them apart - I give up). The other 3 unrelated tweeters are Prometheus, Flower and Thumper.

Thanks for any sage wisdom, feel free to email me at kjf2007@yahoo.com

Thanks

Re: I might as well just CLONE her...

Green is a dominant color over others since it is also the wild budgie color. You will rarely get a blue out of a green although it can happen if the green parent has blue in their background. Most times though, green will be dominant and you wont get much else but shades of greens.

Thanks

yeah.. green is dominant to blue.. so if one parent is green and one is blue then the babies will most likely be green. There is an exception -- budgies that are green can be split for blue. That means they have one green gene and one blue gene. The green is dominant so the bird is green. Visually a budgie will not be blue unless it has 2 recessive blue genes. Your babies are split for blue.. their mother is green (one green gene) and their father is blue (one blue gene).. if one of those green babies was bred (eventually) to a blue budgie (2 blue genes) -- then you could get 50% blue budgies and 50% green budgies (split for blue).

Banned Brand New Egg
    Name
    Josh
    Thanks

Genetics my friend the mothers traits are usually passed on through babys plus Green is by far the most dominant of all the colors here is how my parents birds went

Moxi(Green)Dan(yellow)has three babys Lolly and Bint were both Green and Ned was Blue!

It is not only from parents or dominants it is called afamily tree do you know yuor birds parents?