Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: seed skirt

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

seed skirt

Hello. I have been looking for a cage and I like the ones with the seed skirts, but the cages I have been finding have bar spacing that is to large. I asked about the bar spacing and was suggested a very nice cage. Thanks for the suggestion. But was wondering if you know of somewhere I can order a seed skirt to add to the cage. Also, are seed skirts even worth it (meaning do they work)?
    thanks

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Re: seed skirt

Love my seed skirts, they do work. They catch the seed, toys, and poop while they are playing on the playtop. Saves a lot of cleaning for me.
    What works for one may not work for another.
    Jane

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Do you know where/if you can get them to fit a 30 inch cage. I am looking for a large cage with seed skirt, but the large cages that spacing is not to large do not have a seed skirt. I have seen the seed skirt you add to the cage, but they only fit cages up to 24 inches.

Thanks for the reply.

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Have you tried eBay? Both of the cages we have came with seed skirts.
    Jane

Name
    Tessa
    Thanks

just make one- a strip of fabric with elastic on each side, stitch it into a circle and theres your seed skirt ^_^

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

If you happen to be hopeless at making things, like me , you can get a seed skirt at most pet shops, I've seen them at Petco, Petsmart and PetSupermarket, as well as any bird-dedicated shop.
    Good luck!

Ferret Freak Tailfeather PhoenixK's Avatar
    Name
    Pho
    Thanks

When you say "seed skirt," do you mean the metal catcher thingies that go around the perimeter of the cage, like this?

Or do you mean the stretchy mesh fabric that you put around your cage like this?

Keep in mind with the metal seed guards that it puts a limit to how close you can put your cage against the wall -- and if you're clumsy like me, you're also likely to scrape your knees on it as you walk by. (ouch!) I personally prefer the mesh seed guards because they take less space and do the job just fine. (And I like the mesh better than solid cloth because you and the bird can see through them.) And that's how I first taught Ebo the "boo game," by pulling down the seed guard and saying "Boo!" Then he'd walk up to the front of the cage and look over the edge with a really long neck. ^_^

There's nothing wrong with the metal one; it's just a matter of personal taste and stuff. Like, my birds generally don't play on top of their cages, so I don't have to worry about droppings falling off the sides of the cage, but if your bird does hang out there, I can imagine how the metal kind would be helpful.

The mesh seed guard does the trick just fine for Ebo's cage. I have his food dish at the bottom of the cage, so nothing gets through the seed guard. If the food dish were at the top, I'd imagine that pieces could go flying out beyond the seed guard.

Chirp n Squawk is a great bird supply store, and they have seed guards:
    http://www.birdsupplies.com/bird-seed-guards-s/45.htm

You could also find them at most brick and mortar pet stores (Petsmart, etc.).
    Last edited by PhoenixK; 06-24-2006 at 07:43 AM.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yes, the ones I meant were the metal seed gaurds. Do they work as well as the mesh ones? Thank you.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

My cage is huge - 64 inches long by 21 deep so I had to make one. I should have made it wider I think. I used a piece of fabric about three times the length of the cage and sewed elastic into a channel in both ends and then sewed the two pieces together to make a stretchy hoop that fits around the cage. It does catch stuff, but my birds are total slobs so they still scatter their seeds and pellets and junk. A partial answer to that was to put the cage atop a table that is wider than the cage so that some of the mess ends up on the table. I then come along with a mini dust pan and broom and sweep up the debris. Buzz loves my lil blue mini broom and flirts with it. (Loser!!). Then of course, the rest of the slobberly mess ends up on the floor which gets vaccuumed. I suppose without the seed skirt, it would be a lot worse though so it does its job.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Mine are metal, like the picture. Love them, really helps with the mess. Have playtops and birds love it up there. Keep the poop off the floor and really helps with the seed mess.
    Jane

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Jane, do you know if you can buy the metal ones separate from the cage? I want to get the metal ones.

Name
    Tabitha
    Thanks

Both cages i have, come with built in seed skirt. They are plastic and easy to clean once you lift off the cage. I like them to a point. It does help keep alot of the seed in, but im also looking into getting a fabric skirt. Because my birds like to throw there food, which means the food goes over the gaurd and all over my floor. The fabric i can put above the plastic skirting and catch it all or so i hope.

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

I have not seen metal ones that can be added to a cage that did not come with one. Have seen plastic like this one:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal-Bird-P...QQcmdZViewItem

The metal ones I have for cages have a rods on two of them that fits into the cage and the other two fit into those.

You may be able to find a metal smith to make something for you. Could be costly and not worth the expense. If you have a cage that had metal ones, you may be able to get them from the company that made the cage. You can also order replacements from most, so if you could find the right size you may be able to get them to work on your cage.
    Jane

Tailfeather
    Name
    LC
    Thanks

I, personally, don't think it's really worth it to get a metal one. On most cages, TONS of junk gets stuck where the sides of the skirt meet the cage.

But, that was on my cheap cage. My newer cage has snap on-snap off seed guards, which are far enough above the actual pan that nothing gets stuck and it all goes into the pan.

Anyways, with a cloth one, wouldn't wet foods get stuck to the fabric?

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

i've always used seed skirts, as my birds fling seed everywhere. they really help cut back on the vacuuming. however, most of the elastic in the seed skirts i've bought is shot in under a year, some in only three months. once you find a brand you like, but two or three! i can't remember the brand i buy right now though...
    Mateo (cockatiel), Oliver (RIP, friend ), Mina (parakeet), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet)

Name
    Yevgeniya
    Thanks

right now i have a cage without a seed skirt which is just fine. surprizingly enough Tali isn't as messy as I thought he would be but since ours is small we recently ordered a new bigger cage for him...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sm-Med-Bird-Parr...QQcmdZViewItem