where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie swollen bottom

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Badjo
    Thanks

Budgie swollen bottom

My female budgie is about 5-6 years old and had produced 2 chicks 2 years ago and during that time she continued to lay eggs every 2-3 days even after I removed the nesting box and the eggs will fall and break and then she would struggle to lay the egg which sometimes comes out without the shell that would be expelled a day or 2 later. For the last 3 months no eggs laid but her bottom started to turn into a yellow (like egg yolk) colour gradually becoming noticeably swollen but with the exception that she is inactive and cant fly as she used before, she eats well, bathes and grooms herself and fed by her male companion.

I took her to animal hospital where they have an avian vet and with X ray I was told that it could be tumour or fluid accumulation or…or…etc with no conclusive diagnosis. The poor bird was given Lupron injection (used to alleviate chronic egg laying and other reproductive problems) and an antibiotic solution Baytril. I heard negative comuments about this drug and I noticed a change in my budgie’s behaviour and well being and I am just wondering if this has to do with the medication given to her for only 1 day.

I would really appreciate any experience or advice on Baytril medication as I took her off until I get more info and also any similar experience with this kind of swelling and if anything could be done about it.

BADJO

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Re: Budgie swollen bottom

Something doesn't sound right here. Your profile says you are a pharmacist...as such you should and would know the results of stopping a course of antibiotics such as you did.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

comes out without the shell that would be expelled a day or 2 later.
    Seems to be a very dangerous sign of eggs that are not healthy due to over breeding or malnutrition. Is the vet aware that she passed eggs without the shell, only to expel them later?

If you are concerned that Baytril caused a negative reaction, could you contact the vet and find out what to do? Her inactivity is a symptom that something is wrong. I would not wait any longer to get her immediate medical care.

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

Please take her to a different avian vet ASAP. Something is wrong and she really needs to be seen. But it doesn't sound like the vet you went to was much of a help. She could be egg bound.

Cockatiels- JayJay, Jackie, Cosmo, Precious, Dakota, Jasper, Layla, Luna, Zazu and Teasel
    B&G Macaw- Charlie
    Cats- Bosco, Abby, Bear, Molly, Max and Buddy

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn99 View Post
    Please take her to a different avian vet ASAP. Something is wrong and she really needs to be seen. But it doesn't sound like the vet you went to was much of a help. She could be egg bound.
    It could also be egg peritonitis...hence the antibiotics...

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Hi there. I'm sorry about this swelling problem.
    I just thought I'd tell you..since you were wondering about this type of swelling. Hopefully is is something simply like an egg or fluid.
    Skyer was 4 1/2 years old, nearly 5.

For a budgie, 5-6 years old is considered the average. This is because budgies are known greatly for their tumor produce. Near the ages of 3-6, that is usually the tumor stage. A budgie will go through these years with the high risk of a tumor. Why? I do not know, my avian vet told me it just happens, that budgies are tumor factories. Removal is an option, but barely, there are too many risks and a tumor can grow in the same spot again. Not to mention you do not know what the growth may be attached to, organs or what not. And ripping of organs is very, very high in removal. If your budgie is able to make it through these years, they can have the high rate of making it to their double digit years.

My Skyer, who has now passed as of 5 days ago...she had something along those lines. She always laid eggs, never had any babies since there as no male, but she always laid eggs. I would carry out my duty as her caretaker and dispose of them, simply taking them out and chucking them away. I also made sure she had enough calcium. One day, I felt her near her vent, because as you probably know, thats where the females keep thier eggs, in that area (but not in the vent of course! ). I felt a bump and also noticed her skin turning an odd colour. I dismissed this, thinking it was another egg coming in about 2-3 days. I was wrong. Still, 2 weeks later my darling had this bump! Finally after around another week, and egg was produced, but there was still a bump there...and growing.

Finally, completely driven insane I took her to the avian vet. Where he preformed an x-ray and such and told me it was growth. Aka. A tumor. Or in general, simply something that did not belong there. Basically thats what he said it would be, and with a tumor and the such nothing can really be done. He gave me three options.
    1.) Put her down now (My response: NOT A CHANCE)
    2.) Take her home, enjoy her, and let her go when its time (What I ended up doing)
    3.) Go in heroics and try to remove whatever it is thats there and obviously doesn't belong.
    Though then in number three he pursuaded me not too, as he said that the chances of her surviving afterwards or even making it through the surgery are very, very slim. He said there are too many chances with loss of blood, something failing during anasthetic, etc.

In my case, the swelling was apart of her natural course, she was unfortunate not to make it through the 3-6 year period and got a tumor.
    As for the medication, I'm sorry I know nothing about it. I hoep all goes well!!
    My Darling Skyer, I love you.
    June. 27th. Between 8:44pm and 9:00pm.
    Skyer flew free.

Egg's Cracking... applechickbsn's Avatar
    Name
    Julie
    Thanks

BadJo, what happened? Did you start ATB again?
    Samson~ The Congo African Grey Redneck. JoJo~ My Lutino cockatiel and my best friend.
    Chipper~ My little beauty that sings day and night! Meadow~ the shy one.
    Button~ Not quite the social butterfly...yet! Winston~ The newest family addition.