Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Steve
    Thanks

How to tell when a cockatiel is about ready to lay eggs

Hello everyone

My gray tiel has been acting unusual today. Tonight is been at the bottom of the cage. When I come to the cage, Buddie will come up the ladder to me. I was thinking that Buddie was a male, but I'm just wonder what are the signs that a Tiel might lay eggs. I have no nesting box in the bottom. Can a female lay eggs without a male or other tiel around, because it's just Buddie. I don't think Buddie is sick because the eyes, nare and poopie look ok. Buddie is about 12 months old. Any advise would be helpful. Thanks

Steve

birdyowner23

Hello!

Hey! Yes, a lone birdie can lay eggs by herself, and Buddie is around the age where she/he would lay eggs (if a female). That sounds like egg laying behavior, but it's hard to tell sometimes. But if your instincts right, then you might have a little infertile egg! Be sure that you have proper nutrients for the bird if (s)he does lay an egg, you don't want any calcium deficiancy!

Birdy Owner

mrshud

Re: How to tell when a cockatiel is about ready to lay eggs

Hello, Your tiel, if female could be getting ready to lay eggs. Some stay at the bottom of the cage. My female she's always all over the cage. No actual signs that she is about to lay. Sometimes their belly may seems to be a bit bigger than normal right before laying. Like mentioned if he turns out to be a she than provide plenty of minerals.

Have you just recently clipped your birds wings??? Sometimes after doing that they may sulk for a day or two.

Name
    Steve
    Thanks

Re: How to tell when a cockatiel is about ready to lay eggs

Hello Birdyowner

Buddie might still be a he - lol, who knows. The past couple of days, he's spending a majority of his time on the perch and is much more active. Like I said before, Sunday evening he was spending most of his time at the bottom of his ladder. Telltale signs of being sick was not evident (poo normal, nares fine, eyes look ok, no sneezing, good appetite, etc.). The colors on the face makes me believe that Buddie is a male (bright yellow with the orange circles). I was just wondering what to look for in case Buddie decides to be a female :haha . I do worry when I see him spending time at the bottom of the cage because of sickness - especially on a weekend. My vet isn't available on the weekends. I almost decided to take Buddie to the vet Monday and kept a watchful eye on him, but since Monday morning, he's been his usual, ornery self. By the way, does male tiels go through motions when they want a mate. I know they are the ones responsible for creating a nest. Maybe that's what Buddie was doing. Thanks for being a help. Take care

mrshud

Male or Female???

Something else that a female does before laying eggs. If you have a big enough dish of water they will sit in the water and soak their breast feathers.
    Something else to think about, usually females will be more quite than the males, most will not mock your words or whistle.
    And yes the yellow will be very bright around their head.
    So maybe you do still have a male.
    Females can also help with making the nest, at least mine does.
    Glad to hear that he seems to be more active than he had been.
    Had you changed his cage around at all, removed a toy, put a new one in, etc. I'm just trying to think of all the possiblities that could have put Buddie into what seems like a little depression.
    Had you clipped his wings right before this?
    Changed his diet?