Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

birdyowner23

Breeding questions!

Hi! I have some questions. My birdies currently have a clutch of 4 and there's no sign of stopping. I already know the first is infertile and the others thus far don't look fertile, after holding them up to light, but it's a lil' early. Anyways, that said:

:: How many eggs a clutch? Aprox?
    :: If this entire clutch is infertile, how long do I have to wait before letting them lay another? I don't want the female to get hurt due to lack of calcium or anything...
    :: If none of them are fertile, how long until they abandon them?

Thanks so much, in advance!:haha I'd really appreciate replies!

Birdyowner

Name
    Adrian
    Thanks

Re: Breeding questions!

How many eggs a clutch? Aprox?
    Approximately 6-8 seems to be the average. Kama's first clutch yielded six eggs, though technically she had eight, two of which she laid from two feet up in the cage. *squish!*

If this entire clutch is infertile, how long do I have to wait before letting them lay another? I don't want the female to get hurt due to lack of calcium or anything...
    I'd wait until next year to let her have another, if you can prevent it. Lower the amount of light she gets daily and shuffle things around in the cage, etc.

If none of them are fertile, how long until they abandon them?
    Depends on the bird, I imagine, but Kama abandoned hers approximately 24 days after the last egg was laid. Next time I may just get her some false (wooden) eggs to sit on so I can get rid of the infertile ones and/or feed them back to her for the calcium.

Pray for Skyer. Teenager -Robin-'s Avatar
    Name
    Melanie/Fallon
    Thanks

Re: Breeding questions!

How many eggs a clutch? Aprox?
    In a clutch there are 6-7 eggs. Approx. If a eggs gets broken, or damage the female will probably do a replacement egg, so be careful.
    If this entire clutch is infertile, how long do I have to wait before letting them lay another? I don't want the female to get hurt due to lack of calcium or anything...
    To check take a flashlight and see if there are red viens within them, if so they are fertile and they ill hatch in up to 18 days. If not fertile, boil, and mash them then feed them to your female. so she doesnt get hurt due to lack of calcium.

If none of them are fertile, how long until they abandon them?
    Well it depends. the budgies will realize it. And you cant just take them or they will lay more. It does depend on the budgie though. And when they do abondon them boil, mash, and feed them to your female so she can regain her calcium.