where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Still thinking of getting a Conure

Egg's Cracking... BirdLoverSanDiego's Avatar
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Still thinking of getting a Conure

I'm still thinking of getting a conure. I do have an albino cockatiel who is about 13 weeks old. He's starting to sing and whistle loudly, especially in the morning. However if I get a conure, the cage will have to be in my bedroom. I know they're loud but they're not as loud as I expected. I know someone who has a half moon conure and he's not loud when he screeches. I did listen to mis_emily's Sun Conure bird Allie (is that how you spell it?) and she wasn't as loud as I thought she'd be. I listened to her with the volume turned all the way up. I'm sure they can be loud, but maybe my noise tolerance is higher than other people's.

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Re: Still thinking of getting a Conure

I've never heard a sun conure, but I do have a gcc and a tiel and I actually find my tiel makes more noise, she goes on and on at times and can be really shrill. My gcc has a much lower tone and is much more gentle on the ears
    Peaches Green Cheek Conure
    Mango Lutino Cockatiel, flew away September 13 2006

Conure Crazy Brand New Egg TheCrow's Avatar
    Thanks

Halfmoons are great birds.
    Here are are few audio and a video links to Coqui my Halfmoon for reference.

"hissy fit"

"Coqui saving his toy"

Coqui Video

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Suns are loud. Really loud.

I don't care and its OK with me! So long as noise is not irritatng to you, then go for it. Just don't bank on it being quiet...you might get lucky, you might not. :-)
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Chick
    Name
    Diane
    Thanks

I have to agree with Danielle. Have you considered a Green Cheeks Conure? We have one and they are not as loud as the Sun Conure. I can say that because we used to bird sit for a Sun and was he/she ever loud with a capital L!

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Like Danielle says, if the sound doesn't bother you, go for it! A well trained and socialized bird will usually only be loud when you come home, morning, and evening times/feeding times. I have four birds and they can certainly be noisy, but they do quiet down during the day and only call when there are obvious reasons. (Of course, there are always reasons for a bird to be screaming, but sometimes it's not as apparent as others.)

-Nikki
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Karen Brand New Egg Creationsfire's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I have a wonderful sun, and she only screams during the times Nikki said. I think I got lucky, but she can be a handful when she gets going. But I wouldn't do anything differntly as far as getting her. She is wonderful companion, and {while being terribly careful} I can even take her outside on a leash. She has become very friendly even to people she doesn't know, and kids adore her, although if they have never held a parrot before, they are a bit suprised at how scratchy her nails can be, lol. I just love her, and am in a very stable place. I am lucky to live in house, but if you live in a place that doesn't muffle sound well, you might consider some kind of sound proofing the area your bird will be in the most. I can't wait to adopt another bird, but I want to make sure it is the right bird for me. Anywho, you can't go wrong with a conure, as long as you can handle a bit of high pitched screaming a few times a day, lol.......
    Creationsfire, Harley {what a Daddy's girl}, Peanut & Kid Galahad. Harley again. What a camera hog! He hehe.

I have been studying the traits and dispositions of the "lower animals" (so called) and contrasting them with the traits and dispositions of man. I find the result humiliating to me.
    ~Mark Twain, Letters from the Earth, 1907

Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem.
    ~Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Chick
    Name
    Diane
    Thanks

The sun we used to bird sit for was not really trained by it's family -- in fact they unknowingly encouraged the constant screaming. Whenever I had Sunny he would be so much more quiet by the end of the week I had him because I worked with him. However, the owner would come to the door and they would see each other and the owner would say "Did you miss me?" and Sunny would start his yelling and they would exclaim and encourage this. Now I understand wanting a greeting from your bird, but this was different.

You can truly work with them and kind of have times of the day where they know it is OK to be loud. I just wasn't sure if a brand new bird owner would know how to do this -- but they can be wonderful birds if raised well from the beginning.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide.

Egg's Cracking... BirdLoverSanDiego's Avatar
    Name
    Jen
    Thanks

Well I'll either be getting a Green Cheek or a Half Moon. I have a friend who has a Half Moon and he's not very loud. He screeches, but it's not ear piercing. It's not like a Love Bird, I could never handle one of those. The Suns are beautiful, but I think they might be louder than I've imagined.

Thanks

Whether or not a bird is "very loud" is really kind of an objective thing. My friend has a quaker and a sun, and he doesn't think they're that bad. I, on the other hand, would go NUTS if I had his birds. Heck, some people don't mind macaw and cockatoo screeches.

If you're fine with the noise level and you don't have to worry about neighbors causing problems, go for it!
    - Aviennda, Bunji and Henry (Meyer's and Senegal)

Egg's Cracking... parrotly wild's Avatar
    Name
    Kim Lance
    Thanks

Just remember that the Green Cheeks are a handful! A wonderful handful but you are going to need eyes on the back of your head.

We know who owns who!!

UTSA Roadrunners '11 Fledgeling miss_emily07's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

The recordings that I have need to be updated a bit. The best way to learn if you can tolerate a sun is by going to a breeders house and experiencing them. Most breeders have both suns and green cheecks(with some mutations). That would be my best advice. I could tell you to go with a sun just because I have two, but a green cheek, or a blue crowned, or w/e could suit you better.
    Yours Truely, Emily

owned by animals Brand New Egg kare_bear's Avatar
    Name
    Kari
    Thanks

Similiar to a half-moon is a peach-front, almost identical in looks. I found that my peach-fronts are quiter than my green-cheeks. They have a sweeter personality while green-cheeks are more fearless. That is all my opinion of course
    owned by animals...
    Summers Birds and Chins